• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Mold in humi :(

snipes1027

Hey guys, I am new and I haven't done an into post yet so bear with me. I don't know how it happened but I pulled out my backup humi and found a mold spot almost dead center of the bottom about a square inch and half. Is there anyway to clean it off and salvage the humi for use?

Your humidor can be saved. First, if you have any cigars in the humidor, what you need to do first is remove all the mold-infected cigars (check all your cigars in tubes and cellophane as well) and move your non-infected cigars to a temporary storage container (another humidor, travel humidor, clean tupperware container). Next, brush out or vacuum any mold particles inside your humidor. If your humidor has trays or drawers, be sure to thoroughly clean every inch of the humidor to remove any remaining or hidden mold spores. Once your humidor has been thoroughly brushed or vacuumed, take a clean paper towel and gently wipe the entire humidor interior down with a tiny bit of isopropyl alcohol (using too much will ruin your humidor). (You need to clean your humidor thoroughly and ensure that it's free of mold, so you'll have to use alcohol). Leave your humidor open over night to air it out, just in case there is a small hint of alcohol smell. Replace your humidifiers (you can clean the humidifiers, but it is best to replace them all together). I recommend if you don't have humidification beads get them and replace your standard humidifiers (most are usually just sponges with a plastic case) and let your humidor sit on its own for a week with a fully charged humidifier. If there's no mold after the week, you can return all the uninfected cigars back to the humidor and you are good to go. :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

WKOTI

Edit to say - Give the search feature a try before most help posts, a lot of these questions have been answered before. Just a friendly tip from another noob.

2 add ons to WKOTI's great post-

1.) I highly recommend using a tupperdor to store your "at risk" cigars so you don't have a repeat performance in another of your humi's should the cigars be infected with mold.

2.) Don't use any other cleaning products other than distilled water and Isopropyl Alcohol....use any household cleaners and you are buying a new humidor probably.

As an add on you can also go one step further if you want and lightly sand the spot where the mold was/is and then vacuum/wipe it out- just make sure you use a fine grit paper and that you only lightly sand it.

Hope your procedure goes well!

R

Alright, and just a quick question on the beads. I bought some but am still waiting on the package, it shipped a couple days ago so it can't be much longer. What holding system for the beads do you think is best. I punched a cigar tube full of holes, except for the bottom I will sit it on, and plan on filling it with beads. Anyone have success with this or any other method?

I've been using pantyhose for my beads. IMO, it works wonderfully. Plus you can see all the beads to add water.

I got pantyhose for mine. I bought the ankle hose, and they work great! Much more surface area this way. Go with the panty hose. IMO it would also look much better than a tube with holes in it. Just dont go with the skin color panty hose!

Brandon

Everything people have said so far is great advice Snipes. Why not run over to the intro forum while soaking it in and introduce yourself :thumbs:

Wow, great info in this thread. This sort of information isn't in any of the "hey noobs read this!" threads but it really ought to be.