• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Mold in latest shipment

Setharsis

Boot'tye Zdorovy
Just realized that I should probably share this. I purchased a box of 15 Trinidad Robusto Extras back in August and received them in good shape (they are being discontinued and were on sale/are on sale). They are in a large paper container and then subdivided into 3 stick boxes and then in individual boxes (all made of paper). For the first month they looked fine but I kept them in isolation just to be safe. But by the end of September, they had begun to show small spots of mold around the pigtail and cap. About 75% show some sort of mold.

I had also purchased a box of 12 of the Trinidad Reyes that were in the same shipment and those have yet to show any signs of mold. (Wooden cedar box). So I'm guessing the mold spores were present before shipping occurred, but with the hot weather of the past summer it just accelerated what would have happened in my humidor. Just wanted to warn people about those.

I know that I should have taken pictures, but I was rather sad about the whole mold issue so I tried to smoke them all before they got any worse.

No sources will be named here but if people are interested, is it acceptable via pm?

Eric

Do not discuss sources. Even via PM. But thanks for the info. Yea it could have been the heat. Even here in Houston it still gets hot mid day.

Would freezing and slowly bring them back to room temp over a period of a week or so possibly kill the mold and prevent the problem? I had beetles once when I first started smoking from a box of Vegas Robaina's- I was able to smoke half before my humidor got a little too warm and the beetles hatched. Anyways- long story short- I have ever since frozen my cigars for a minimum of three days and a max of four and then slowly brought them from freezing back to room temp before placing them in my humidors. Never had a problem w/beetles again and have not had mold problems either for that matter. Have not noticed any side effects from the freezing process- I am very careful to not shock the cigars with too fast a transition in temp/humidity.

Freezing isn't going to kill off mold, but it might kick it over to a dormant form for a little while.

Some further reading that I hadn't seen before. It's for book storage but thought it was pretty interesting since it also discusses Relative Humidity and the amount of moisture in a book: 70% RH = 10% moisture content. Not sure how they calculated that or if it's accurate, but here you go:
http://www-sul.stanford.edu/tools/tutorials/html2.0/spore.html