• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Mold on a few cigars, any idea why?

DKAudio

I have found 3 cigars in my winedor that have a little mold on them. I am using Heartfelt 65% beads and they are reading fine. When the beads are sprayed with distilled water they are no where near any cigars so random water droplets are not the cause. I have concluded a few things (may be coincidence, I don’t know).
-The mold is only getting on naked, non cello wrapped cigars.
-It seems to get on the foot but does not penetrate deep at all.
-It also seems that it happens when the foot of the cigar is touching some of the spanish cedar tray dividers that I am using. I would think this would cause an issue, especially since most humidors out there are lined out of spanish cedar and many people keep naked cigars in storage.

Any ideas why this could be happening?

-It also seems that it happens when the foot of the cigar is touching some of the spanish cedar tray dividers that I am using. I would think this would cause an issue, especially since most humidors out there are lined out of spanish cedar and many people keep naked cigars in storage.

Any ideas why this could be happening?

I have naked cigars that touch Spanish cedar 24/7 which means a few years this way and no mold. What cigars have the mold on them?

There has been a Perdermo Champaign a 5 Vegas Classic and I forgot what the other one was.

I am not sure what you are asking...I have purchased many cigars, been gifted, done trades, etc.

I am not sure what you are asking...I have purchased many cigars, been gifted, done trades, etc.

He is about the ones with mold if you purchased them or was they a gift to you from another. The reason I asked about what cigars they was because Anejo and Hemingway Maduros have been prone to mold.

If you have smokes where the air from the pelt coolers can blow directly on them, you can get mold. The pelt's seem to drive up the RH locally, until the cabinet equilibrates again.

Happened to me with some Anejo's, and my cabinet runs a very solid 65%.

If you have smokes where the air from the pelt coolers can blow directly on them, you can get mold. The pelt's seem to drive up the RH locally, until the cabinet equilibrates again.

Happened to me with some Anejo's, and my cabinet runs a very solid 65%.

Yep, Tom, you are correct with this assessment. My two pull out singles drawers are in the top of my Staebell. The two pelt cooling units seem to drive the cooled air over the exposed singles which is a problem during the summer months when the pelts run a lot. I now keep most of my singles in plastic bags so they are shielded from direct contact with the cool air flow. I also keep the humidity in my Staebell in the low 60s.

You said you have a wineador which means plastic walls instead of wood. Check the spanish cedar if it is getting wet from water condensation from the peltier fans and heat sink. Even boxes should not be touching the back wall just because water may form, especially during summer. Temperature fluctuations makes the wine chiller kick on and off constantly.

Also, how much beads do you have for what size bottle wineador? Enough to balance out the RH on every level?

Not to sound too prying, just getting a baseline.

Dave, the King of Mold.

One way or the other, good info for others. I would suggest turning the cigars around so the air flow isn't into the foot of the cigar. If it continues, it may not be an air flow issue.

I wasn't for sure if you knew where you purchased them or if you were gifted these from someone. Could help you in determining why they got mold.

I don't recall where these cigars came from. I assume a trade.

As far as a peltier device causing the issue...my wineador has no cooling devices. It used to be an old fashioned compressor type that went out. I took out all the refrigeration equipment and turned it into a wineador due to the glass front and ability to see inside. I have it in my basement so the temp doesn't get above 74 or so even in summer.

I calculated the beads for the volume of interior space and it is perfect. I have a pound of beads and about 8,000 cubic inches.