• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Mold question

llwydtp

While inspecting several cigars from a shipment last week, I found several that appear to have mold on them.  I'm obviously aware of the mold vs. plume subject but have more experience with plume than mold.  For me, plume has mostly been somewhat uniform on a wrapper and I have typically read that when there are spots that also appear fuzzy, then it may be mold.  In this case, the retailer is asserting that if the color is white or off white, then it is definitely not mold.  I appreciate your help.  Both pics are from Cohiba Lanceros that came out of a 5 stick petaca.

IMG_0801.JPG

IMG_0804.JPG

Imo mold can be white and plume or bloom comes from years of undisturbes aging.

I vote for mold as 99% of the time it is mold.

I agree with Louis.

I have had both mold and plume, there is a distinct difference.

This is mold.

If it were me, I would send the retailer a copy of both pictures, if he still says plume, I would not deal with him again...

Furry little patches = mold.  No doubt.  Sorry about that....

Hope you can get your money back or a reship at least. Once I was at a cigar shop and picked up one with mold on it and I didn't notice it till I was in my car, I went back to the shop and they told me it was plume (it looked just like this picture but a greener shade), so I told them that I would like one without so much aging on it and whoever buys this one will be one lucky person. I picked another one and never went back to that place again.

White Mold

HOSTS: legumes, sunflowers, canola, most vegetables, tobacco, many flowering bedding plants, and stone fruits

I have no idea if this is what would actually show up on cigars, versus some other variety. I just found it interesting that tobacco was specifically listed as a host.

-John

No doubt in my mind that you're looking at a mold outbreak.  Still, if all the sticks look like the one you posted a pic of, just wipe them off and store them in isolation of the rest of your sticks.  They may turn out fine.  IMHO, they still look perfectly smokeable...at least by my standards.

Mold just as everyone above has mentioned. I would definitely get my money back though as those Lanceros are pricey. Why take a another chance on a re-ship. I agree with thechenman that they are smokable but If mold is found on the foot that's a different story and they get tossed. 

For some reason, Anejo wrappers are very susceptible to mold that looks just like this.  In the past, when I'd find a small spot or two, I'd gently wipe them off with a soft cotton cloth moistened with distilled water.  Then, I'd dry box them for a couple days, just to be sure.  Seemed to work fine.  However, if you get mold on the foot of the cigar...it's trashed.

Those were expensive sticks and I'd insist on getting them replaced.  If the vendor is being a dick about it, they can probably be smoked......and order elsewhere next time.

Thanks all. Even though the consensus is mold. I'm going to take a few better pictures tonight and update. This gave me an excuse to get an iphone macro lens.

Here is a pic of one of the two spots shown above followed by some more that was around the cap of one of the lanceros.

IMG_0807.JPG

IMG_0809.JPG

Here is another example.  Note the very slight spot just to the left of the 46 where the band ends.  The second picture is the close up.
IMG_0815.JPG

IMG_0814.JPG

Nice lens but still looks like a close up of mold brother. Tubos are famous for mold. Where the Cohiba Lanceros in a Carboard pack of 5? The reason I ask is because a ran into some mold in one of those before.

Yes, I'm not doubting it is mold at all but thought I would provide the pictures if anyone wants to see. I wanted some irrefutable evidence as the retailer was still asserting that it wasn't mold after the first pictures. And yes the lanceros were in a 5 pack with individual boxes.

Sorry to veer slightly off topic but is that macro lens an app or an external lens attached to IPhone lens?

It is an external lens. I just picked it up today so the pictures could have probably been better. The lens is an Olloclip 4 in 1 and includes a fish eye, wide angle and 10x and 15x macro.

Thanks for reply on lens. Just purchased off their website.

Thanks, just got one off Amazon (love the free shipping)

If anyone else wants one of these lenses and is impatient, I picked mine up same day at an Apple Store.

Nice close shots that clearly show this is mold. This will be a helpful thread to point people to later on. Good work.

-John