• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Mold?

w00ts!te

Go GREEN! Go WHITE!
Reaction score
I recently purchased a sampler pack from CI with culprit below. Sorry the image sucks, I don't know how you guys take those close up pictures (I must have a sucky camera). If I can describe this to you, it looks like a drop of water washed out the coloring in the wrapper. Is this mold? I haven't taken it out of it's cellophane wrapper yet. Thanks. :)

img00108m.jpg

Doesn't look like it in the picture. But it really is hard to tell cause it's so dark and out of focus. I doubt it though.

From what I've read cigar mold is often blue, and very fuzzy. So if the patch is not fuzzy then it's probably fine.

But wait for someone more experienced to hop in and give you a more knowledgeable answer.

Judging by the picture, it looks to be some bigfoot droppings or maybe a ghost orb.

So, without a better picture, try one of these remedies: 1) Do a search for mold. There will be lots of pictures, lots of descriptions, and lots of posts to help. 2) Do a search for the photo tutorial. I actually just mentioned it in a post of mine a couple days ago. It will give you a lot of help to take better pictures of your cigars.

I updated the picture to a better looking one. I think my camera was low on batteries so I took it on my blackberry.

It's just a sun / water spot...from what can be seen.

Hey Woots!te,

While I can't comment on what that spot is on your cigar, I can try and help you get a better picture of the damage.

If you are using a digital camera, then it probably has a "Macro Mode". It is usually indicated by a picture of a little flower on one of the buttons or in the menu of the camera. Once in Macro Mode, it will tell your camera that you want to focus on a subject closer to your lens than normal. You can then put the camera up very close and get a much better picture.

Here is a quick link about Macro Mode. Click Here

Good Luck and I hope that the spot is nothing major. If it is mold, contact CI. I actually just had a problem with a purchase from CBid, and they were more than helpful in resolving the problem for me.

MP

Is it fuzzy or hard?

Fuzzy, smears, and/or wipes off, it could be mold.

Based on your picture, it looks like it's hard, most likely a sun or water spot on your wrapper.

Dude - that pic is gonna give me nightmares.....attack of the giant finger!!! Like others said, looks more like a water or sun spot. Sometimes cigars have slight discolorations.....no biggie.....when you have one with mold you will know it. It looks like, uh, mold. You can usually smear it off, but the wrapper will still have a slight stain. Plume is good -- crystals that form on very aged cigars. Anyway, I know most here will scoff at this....but I have received cigars with a little mold on them via sales and trades.....and if it is just a little dot, I just go ahead and smoke it.

FWIW, you can hold the cigar a little further away from the camera next time.

Why are the windows upside down? Do you live in an alternate universe?

I was thinking I was the only one who noticed that. Wheww...I might be nuts but I am not alone.

I concur with the others here and that the spot might not be mold just a "sun spot" but if it rubs off it probably is mold.

If you are using a digital camera, then it probably has a "Macro Mode". It is usually indicated by a picture of a little flower on one of the buttons or in the menu of the camera. Once in Macro Mode, it will tell your camera that you want to focus on a subject closer to your lens than normal. You can then put the camera up very close and get a much better picture.

Also, on most cameras you can push down the "take picture" button half way and the camera will auto-focus. If it can't focus on anything, you'll get something like an "!AF" on the screen, or maybe AF with a circle/slash through it or something. Adjust the distance of the cigar until the !AF goes away and then press the button down the rest of the way.

-John

Thanks for the tips. My table has a glass top on it that is reflecting the window. :) Sorry for the fun optical illusion.