• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Monte #2 and Monte #4

opusxfiles

Smoke Shackin'
OK,

Most of you have already read about the infamous chattanooga smokeshack located in my backyard. Most of you also know that my experience with ISOM's is pretty limited. Well, On opening night of the Shack, I had four cigars...A Davidoff Colibra, A PAM 64 torp, A Monte 2 and a Monte 4. My review here will be mostly the later two smokes.

I started the evening with the Davidoff, and it was a very complex smoke. There was a lot more taste to this cigar than I was expecting and would recomend it highly except it's pretty dang expensive and I only smoked it because Eshaw and Kboy bought it and gave me one of the sticks. I will let them review it when they get the chance.

The PAM was of course perfect in every way. You all know that if you are looking for a bad word on Padrons, you won't find it with me!

When it came time for the Monte 2, I stopped for a moment to check out how perfect it looked...no veins or flaws of any kind. Honestly, it is exactly what a cigar should look like. Unlit, it smelled very good...a mixture of cream and chocolate and cedar with some earth tones. I lit it up and it honestly had the best draw of any cigar I've ever had. I have heard they can be inconsistant, but this one was perfect. The taste was complex and strong, but not overwhelming. It's kind of like a well aged PAN in many ways, but with a cool, old school feel to the torpedo shape. I would recomend this cigar to anyone, and could easily see myself smoking these anytime anywhere. Strong enough for an after dinner cigar and creamy enough for a breakfast smoke. I give this cigar a 10 without even having to think about it.

As the party finally wound down, I took out a Monte 4. I figured that because it was smaller than the 2, that it would be milder. BIG MISTAKE. This cigar will punch you in the face! It is very bold in cedar and leather flavors with a firm draw and a tight ash. I noticed that the ash was a dark color, just like ISOM's are supposed to be. I had heard some other guys at the HERF talking about how strong it was, but I was still surprised. It was as strong a cigar as anything I've had next to an Opus. I suppose the reason is that being a small cigar, they pack it a bit tighter and the smoke is more focused. The stick itself was just as perfect as the Monte 2, and the cap was very cool. Eshaw explained that they are triple capped and that is why they looked so good. By this time, I was geeked on tons of coffe, mountain dew, dr. pepper, and bourbon, so I threw up in the back yard twice. I felt so good afterwards that I sat down and kept on smoking. I would also have to rate this cigar a 10.

So here is the final breakdown on the OpusXfiles scale:

Davidoff Colibra: 8

PAM: 10

Monte 2: 10

Monte 4: pre-puke 9.5 post puke :10

I know these ratings may seem high to some of you, but I swear that these cigars were unreal. A great night with great friends and great smokes.

This is the X, signing off for now..........

Interesting reviews :D I've had several Monte#4's, and I never got the big deal with them. I've had a couple in my humi for some time now, maybe this summer I'll try some again. Monte#2 is something I'd really like to try, they're bigger and better from what I hear :whistling:

Very nice man! I've not smoked my davidoff yet, maybe I should smoke it soon though, sounds great. :thumbs:

Great choice of stikcs there :thumbs:
IMO the Monte No.2 is generally better than the No.4 but I've had good and bad of both. The 03's seem to be some of the better Montes I've had, in fact the 03' No.2 is one of the best sticks I've ever had :love:

I think everyone can agree that the PAMs (any of the Padrons for that matter) are probably one of the most consistent smokes on the market. My favs are the Torpedo and Exclusivo.

Gonna play CC here for a sec...

it's culebra, not colibra

Just thought I'd help :p

I have a few Monte #4s in my humi and have found them to be usually pretty strong, but they are also rather inconsistent in flavor. They are ISOMs largest sellers worldwide and are made in multiple factories. If you like the PC format, try the ISOM RyJ PC. It is a great cigar.

I must agree with Rob that the No.4s we scored from my "aunt" in Switzerland were top-notch. I give 'em a ten. However, every time I look at all the No.4s in my humidor, I swear I can smell Nina Craigmiles and it kind of freaks me out. [*screams as an eight-year-old dead girl touches his laptop and asks him what he's doing]

I have yet to smoke the No.2. I am currently looking forward to getting through my divorce so I can smoke this God of Fire. I might have to sit down with a No.2 tonight.

I got a 5 pack of monte #3 thsi week, they are ISOM and was saddened and pissed :angry2: to see them a little beaten up, and dry. I hope i can recover with a few months of aging.. does anyone know if the outer wrapper comes loose at the cap, if i peel away (thin layer), is it still smokable? ??? I may keep the band on the loose ones to hold the outer leaf .... any ideas?

:(

überZigarre said:
I must agree with Rob that the No.4s we scored from my "aunt" in Switzerland were top-notch. I give 'em a ten. However, every time I look at all the No.4s in my humidor, I swear I can smell Nina Craigmiles and it kind of freaks me out. [*screams as an eight-year-old dead girl touches his laptop and asks him what he's doing]

I have yet to smoke the No.2. I am currently looking forward to getting through my divorce so I can smoke this God of Fire. I might have to sit down with a No.2 tonight.
[snapback]179725[/snapback]​

Not funny man! :laugh:

KayakinBoy said:
überZigarre said:

[snapback]179838[/snapback]​

Hey KB...Nina came by tonight and told me to let you know she was looking for you! :laugh:

opusxfiles said:
KayakinBoy said:
überZigarre said:

[snapback]179838[/snapback]​

Hey KB...Nina came by tonight and told me to let you know she was looking for you! :laugh:
[snapback]179855[/snapback]​

You know what, you guys, aren't funny... I mean it! :p

Great reviews. Sounds like it was a great night of cigars, drinks, cigars, friends, cigars, comradrie, puking, and .... cigars. Thanks for sharing. :)

I had a box of 4's and probably have a couple around still. I have to say I haven't been all that impressed with mine. The flavor just seems kind of mealy and lacking for want of a better description. I have also had a few 2's here and there. They have been OK the ones I have had. One was horrible, but that happens, the other couple or so have been just ok. In my opinion the Bolivar BF is a much better smoke for the same size and probably slightly less money. I love thos things and need a box bad here one of these days. I would think anyone who likes Monte 2 would love the BBF but perhaps not. Anyone here a firm believer the other way around??

I should say that my Monte 4's were a 97 box that I purchased with most of the age on it already. Pprobably 5 or 6 years old at the time of purchase. I was expecting them to be great at that age. Perhaps they lost a bunch from improper storage. Who knows.

Monte #2 are my hands down favorite ISOM, other than a Bolivar, and then a Cohiba heheh

:p

I like ISOM's

:sign:

you know, I know I'm a newb, but at the same time, I smoke some heavy sticks...opus, PAM, joya..etc...and the #4's we got were as strong as any of those...I don't know why, but they were buttkickers. easily as strong as the last opus I had.

mrjinglesusa said:
Yummy. Monte #2s are yummy. Period. :thumbs:
[snapback]179824[/snapback]​

It's all about taste. I find Monte 2's and 4's to be rather inconsistent, and generally not something I enjoy. When they are on, they are pretty nice I guess... just not my thing.

moki said:
mrjinglesusa said:
Yummy. Monte #2s are yummy. Period. :thumbs:
[snapback]179824[/snapback]​

It's all about taste. I find Monte 2's and 4's to be rather inconsistent, and generally not something I enjoy. When they are on, they are pretty nice I guess... just not my thing.
[snapback]180690[/snapback]​

I've heard that from alot of people...but if they are inconsistant, we sure made out like bandits because these were awesome. I guess some times you win. I just spoke to Kboy, and he said the one I gave him was great as well.

Got home from work yesterday and immediately went out to the back porch with a Montecristo No. 4.

This petite corona was slightly box pressed with a nice medium-brown wrapper. There were no noticable seams or veins...in fact the wrapper was very smooth and silky. The pre-light nose was mild, but of earth and wood. The pre-light draw was tight.

The cigar lit very easily, but the draw did not open up, staying tight throughout the entire smoking experience. However, it did produce abundant medium-bodied smoke, I just had to work for it. The Monte No. 4 burned cool and even all the way down, staying pleasant and requiring no corrections. The ash was very firm and white, not the "mottled gray" suggested elsewhere :whistling: . Good construction except for the tight draw.

The taste of this cigar was superb. It started off creamy and fairly mild. Not a flavor explosion, but definitely at least a quick rush. There was also coffee and wood to compliment the creaminess. After about an inch, I got some great toasty notes and a hint of almonds (this was my favorite part...truly one of the best tastes I've ever gotten from a cigar). At the mid-point, I realized that I was smoking it too fast as there were charred/tar-like tastes building up...I slowed down and they went away. The cigar finished creamy, with tons of coffee with some spice on the back of the palate. Really nice tasting cigar.

I don't like to work to smoke a cigar, so the tight draw actually detracted from the experience more than it might for others. However, it was a really good tasting cigar. Overall, I rate this little stick an A-..

I look forward to smoking another with a better draw. BTW, thanks Golfgar.