• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Montecristo #2 good starter cigar?

americanfighter

Hey guys have a friend who is getting started got a Montecristo #2 for him because I heard they were good beginner cigars what are your thoughts?

That's a lot for one sentence.. Yes its fine, IMHO not a strong or very flavorful cigar. If you search there's a couple threads in the first few pages of the Lounge section about beginner cigars.

Assuming you're talking NC, it wouldn't be my first choice for a new smoker. But personal tastes are impossible to explain or predict so he may love it. I would direct him to mild yet flavorful cigars like Oliva G or Connecticut Reserve, Fuente Chateau or Hemingway, and Dunhill Signed Range or even a small Tat, maybe.

A few people suggested montecristo no.4 to me when I asked for a recommendation.

-gmewu99

SPAM LINK REMOVED BY CP

Cuban or Non Cuban?

Huge difference.

The NC are bleh (YMMV), the Cuban version is one of those love it or hate it cigars and I wouldn't really consider it a beginner cigar per say.

The 601 Blacks are a good beginner cigar as are the Nat Sherman Suave and Drew Estates Chateau Real Claro .

Another great starting cigar (and one for die-hards as well) is the CI Blue Label. I love the torpedoes!

Do a bit of searching and you'll find lots of other recommendations.

Montecristo is an excellent choice. Very well made with a little more flavor than Macs. Both the Monte and the Macs are consistently well made.

A little less mainstream, Gispert makes excellent intro cigars and are inexpensive. The flavor profile is different than the two above but very enjoyable; unfortunately they are not as consistent. I still smoke them on occasion after having moved on to stronger cigars.

All of the above recommendations are widely available domestically. The most important thing, however, is to try a variety of cigars and not get overly caught up on suggestions from others or form opinions before actually smoking a given cigar, just have fun experimenting. Welcome to the hobby.

SPAM LINK REMOVED BY CP

i would think its too big to start w/. one of those glory "oh i smoked a cristo #2" moments. i would start with something light...like the olivas stated above and work your way up as you build taste. also gives some time for that #2 to age a bit.

any oliva would be good. or maybe a hemingway short story. super solid.