• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Montecristo #4

Maximum

I primarily smoke the Montecristo #4s but find construction and cosistency have suffered from the mass production to meet the worldwide demand. I am too cheap to pay Cohiba prices. Anyone have any recommendations for other PCs that will make a good substitute????

San Christobal El Principe

There's too many good PCs out there to just limit yourself to the Montecristo No. 4 :laugh: although I've heard of many cigar smokers WHO ONLY SMOKE NO. 4'S AND NOTHING ELSE :0

Just about every line has a petit corona size, some good ones I particularly like are Diplomaticos No. 4, Punch Petit Corona del Punch, PCs made by Romeo y Julieta, Bolivar (REALLY good!), Sancho Panza (very different, has this unique salty flavor), Partagas...I could go on and on :laugh:

I'm a PC whore - plain and simple.

I currently have in inventory:
BPC - earthy and robust. NOTHING like the MC4, but both happen to be favorites.
SP Non-Plus - beany (cocoa & vanilla) with a clean tobacco flavor. Slight saltiness, but if you like MC4 - I'd give these a go.
Fonseca Cosacos (not a PC, but close) - I LOVE this cigar. I smoke more Cosacos than anything. Better with some rest on them to lose a 'raisiny' youthful flavor. Earthy, smooth, sweet tobacco bomb.
ERDM PC - yet to crack the box.
RyJ PC - yet to crack the box.
Boli No.2 Tubos - not cracking the box for at least 18 years, I bought a JUL05 box - the date my son was born. These are for him. Should be identical to the BPC.
MC4 - you already know what these are like.
Dip4 - not my favorite. Dips are supposed to be the little sister to the MC line. Although I prefer the Dip2 to the MC2, the Dip4 doesn't do it to me. I find the flavors similar, but the Dip has a funky spice mixed in with a prune/raisin flavor. Often - I hear people state they think it is a better cigar than the MC4.
PLPCs - if you can find them, buy them. An amazing PC. Sweet, caramel and vanilla. I've got 1/2 a cab left (after smoking a 1/2 cab split and then 1/2 of this cab). I wish the word had never got out. . .

I also have a number of machine bunched, hand finished in the same size including Partagas Coronas Senior and RyJ Romeo No.2. The RyJs are smoking REALLY nicely right now. Not complex, but that Cuban twang I love in a straight-forward cigar. The Partagas are still young and tannic.

Thanks for the recommendations. I have found a box each of the Bolivar, ERDM, SLR, and Dip4. The latter two are the only ones ready to burn. The DIP4 was a pleasant smoke with great flavor and draw but the construction of this 02 box was a bit spongy. The SLR is very good around so far.

I confess I am not familiar with the "PLPC - Cab" referenced above so please educate me on this one.

I also have kept several boxes of the RYJ-MF in the coolerdor for years and burn these regularly as inexpensive smokes. They were tight early on but draw well with some age and are very mild. I share these with novice friends as introductory smokes.

I am looking for some JLPCs but have had no luck.

Thanks again for your input.

The MAX

PLPC's and SC El Principe's are really nice smokes.

My favorite Marevas (PCs) are:

Partagas Petite Corona
Punch Royal Selection No. 12
H Upmann Petite Corona
SLR Petite Corona
Por Larranaga Petite Corona

Pretty much in that order...at least right now.