• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Montecristo cigars

gardkarlsen

Hi

I was looking at cigar prices on two different web sites and I was comparing the prices of e.g. Montecristo cigars. Both were selling Montecristo but the one web site had prices that were a lot cheaper than the other and when looking closer into it, it turns out that the cheaper web site has Montecristo from the Dominican Republic. It says "Originating in Cuba, our Montecristo, now distributed in the U.S., is manufactured by hand in the Dominican Republic."

So my question is...is there a huge difference in the Montecristo cigars that are coming out of Cuba and the Montecristo cigars coming out of the Dominican Republic?

yes the difference is night and day.

monte from DR i sampled #2 white - not bad but no character
corona crande - was just bitter

cubans
#4, #2, and especial #2 all have different characters but the #2 produces most bean flavor witch montes are know for.

Not even close to the same thing, taste or quality.

I concur with the other two above me have said. NC monte's are absolute garbage!

Most of the Dominican Montecristos are a waste of money, IMO.

I smoked a Monte 4 several days ago and it was very tasty. I think Cubans are better.

It's all about where the tobacco leaf is grown. Although DR has a great climate for tobacco. Cuba has been developing their techniques for a long time. Cigars are a national tradition and they take pride in their work.

I haven't smoked all of the NC Monte lines but the one's I've tried, Platinum, Afrique, White, etc. have been less than thrilling ranging from dull to just gawdawful. IMO, NC Romeo y Julieta are even worse on whole...to my palate. The H. Upmann and Partagas seem to have better lines (e.g., Spanish Rosado, Black, Vintage Cameroon).

Wilkey

the only similarity is the brand name.

One of the worst cigars I've smoked in recent memory was a Monte White label (NC).

Cuban Montes are good (and I haven't tried the DM version), but am I the only one in the cigar world that thinks they are overrated (especially the no2)?

To me, they are like the Cadburys chocolate of cigars: dependable, yet a bit bland compared to some. I much prefer Haighs.

I have always been amazed that the NC Montes & R&Js are uniformly either mediocre and utterly unremarkable or utterly awful. With all the advertising / hype that they spend their money on they might be able to actually use that money to make a good cigar. As we all know, really good cigars nearly sell themselves.

The Cuban Montes, on the other hand, have some of the most interesting, unique and delicious flavors I have experienced in a cigar. The Petit Edmundo that I enjoyed yesterday was a thoroughly lovely, delicious smoking experience. :love: Overrated? That hasn't been my experience.

NC Montes do not cost that much less than Cubans. There is no comparison in terms of pleasure and when all is said and done, I smoke cigars for pleasure!

Just my 2 cents.

Edit - why is it that I don't see my spelling errors until I hit the post button?

Everything that Handyman Dave says in his post is absolutely correct. The Dominican Montecristos and Romeo y Julietas are junk (though I would rather have a Montecristo than an RyJ). I had two Cuban Montecristos over the weekend and they were beyond great. There is a taste, a sweetness, a flavor that I have only experienced with the Cuban variety.

I have to confess that prior to this weekend I had not smoked a Cuban Montecristo. I have had plenty of Cubans - Cohiba, Romeo y Julieta, H Uppman, etc. - but I am not a devotee of Montecristos. They are the best. Perfectly constructed and perfect with taste.

I will say that I liked the Montecristo Afrique Uhuru for a while.
I was taking some medication which was killing my taste buds.
It was the only cigar I could taste anything on, and it was good.
That was until I stopped taking the medication. My sense of taste came back.
Then I did not like them any more. At All. Other than that, I've never liked any DR Monty I've tried.

I've smoked a few Cuban Montecristo. I especially liked a very fresh No. 2. Probably one of the most delicious cigars I can remember. I also had another No. 2 that a friend from Canada gave me. It was fairly dark for what I've seen. It seemed to be well aged. It was a very nice smoke but, I'd take the fresh one any day.

edit for spelling