• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Montecristo Edmundo OEB FEB 06

flamchop

65/65
Named after Edmundo Dantes, hero of Alexandro Dumas' famous novel "The Count of Montecristo", the Edmundo is the first size to be added to Montecristo's standard range since 1971.

I picked up half a box of these Edmundos in a split buy about 6-9 months back. From what I hear these tend to smoke well when they're young and there is some debate as to how they age. So I hoped that these being stamped in February of 2006 might mean they are in their prime for smoking.

The cigar has a light coffee-colored wrapper and feels fairly light in the hand. It's mostly soft to the touch but up around the band and cap I noticed it was pretty firm. I've smoked a couple from this batch over the months and the draws have been perfect but this worried me. I clipped the cap and the pre-light draw was pretty tight. So I ended up clipping off as much as I could to get some air through. Not much of a pre-light taste. As you can see in one of the pics below the bunching under the cap was very tight and compacted.

I toasted the foot and what air I could get through tasted pretty spicy. I ended up giving it a good poking or two and it loosened up a bit. Very uncharacteristic of this smoke to draw so tight. It has been kept in the Vinotemp at a steady 63-65 degrees at 65% humidity.

It finally opened up after an inch or so and I was greeted with a fairly spicy flavor. The spice and pepper lasted pretty much the whole way down. But around the halfway point some sweet coffee notes appeared, with a little earthy or cedar finish. The best part of the smoke was the last half... where there was much less spice and more sweet coffee, cedar, and good tobacco flavor.

The burn remained perfect throughout, but at about the 2/3 point the wrapper started to crack a little, but it had no impact on the smoke as a whole.

Overall the smoke was more medium than full, but very flavorful. This is still one of the best Montecristos in my opinion, even though I had some draw issues on this one. Based on the 2 or 3 I've had prior to this one I can safely say this is a must have in the humi. It's my opinion that age probably won't have a huge impact on this smoke, and it's best to smoke em up if you got em.

Great review Mike! As you stated, not usual to have draw issues with these. I've really enjoyed the ones I've smoked so far.

Fantastic review! I hear there's great variability from box to box, year to year with these. Glad you enjoyed the experience :thumbs:

Great review. I especially enjoyed the beginning part which provided a nice history. Thanks

Thanks for the review.
I dont think I could resist and hold myself from smoking
one of them as soon as I lay my hand on one .

Thanks for the great review. I'm really curious what a few more years might do to these babies. I'm still a Petit Edmundo whore though.

I had planned on smoking a different cigar until I read this. :thumbs: I just went and grabbed an Edmundo from '05. I really remember liking these, there are only 2 left in the top layer of the box. I toasted the foot with my blazer and blah! :0 This thing tasted like a relit cigar! :( I stuck with it for about an inch but could not take it any more. It got tossed in the dirt!!! I am very surprized for sure!

One of my personal favorites even though I have only smoked 2. Great review and pics!

Very good review Mike. These are currently my favorite in this marca's regular lineup. I've had much better experiences with these than I have with the #2's.

I had planned on smoking a different cigar until I read this. :thumbs: I just went and grabbed an Edmundo from '05. I really remember liking these, there are only 2 left in the top layer of the box. I toasted the foot with my blazer and blah! :0 This thing tasted like a relit cigar! :( I stuck with it for about an inch but could not take it any more. It got tossed in the dirt!!! I am very surprized for sure!

I did the same thing, and had the same result. I couldn't get myself to light it since the prelight daw was so vegetal and bitter. I put it back in the humidor and decided to give it a few more years.

Would you say then that it doens't look like these smokes do well with aging? The ones I've been smoking from 06 are smoking great. I have never smoked one older than that.

Very nice review brother. :) The other half of that box is smoking exceptionally well too! :) One of my top 3-5 sticks so far!!

Don

Very nice review brother. :) The other half of that box is smoking exceptionally well too! :) One of my top 3-5 sticks so far!!

Don

I was wondering how the other half of that box was doing ;) Maybe there's something to be said about smoking these guys when they're young!

Would you say then that it doens't look like these smokes do well with aging? The ones I've been smoking from 06 are smoking great. I have never smoked one older than that.

I don't know if I would go as far as saying that. My '05's were great but they obviously are in a sick stage of the aging process now. That does not mean that they wont be great a year from now, or even 6 months.