• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Montecristo Especial '98

Roy R. Frush

Karaté?
I was gifted this cigar by Azoetia, a generous CP brother, this past winter.

Great looking cigar. Wrapper was very light, almost candela.
monteespecial98003.jpg

Prelight draw was excellent with a clean tobacco taste.

Initial draws were laced with pepper, but incredibly smooth. Terrific smoke production.

It was another windy day in Manhattan--perhaps the tropical storms/hurricanes to the south were responsible. Despite the stiff breeze, this cigar burned superbly.
monteespecial98006.jpg

It's always a treat to observe how great a well aged cigar burns. The filler, binder and wrapper have all had time to come into harmony and burn with a perfectly flat coal.
monteespecial98012.jpg

The early pepperiness quickly subsided and the first third was quite delicate, so I periodically stepped into the stairwell to allow the smoke to linger a bit. Light creamy cocoa was the predominant flavor.
monteespecial98010.jpg

In the second third, the flavors picked up intensity. The cocoa had developed into a full on espresso attack. Occasionally I picked up
hints of almond. As it progressed, there were notes of anise. Nasal expulsion revealed faint floral and fruit aromas.
monteespecial98015.jpg

The final third really developed into a meaty, leathery powerhouse. The espresso remained. Despite the crescendo in flavors and intensity, this cigar always seemed in balance and maintained its smoothness.

monteespecial98025.jpg

This was a terrific smoke that I took down to the nub. Thanks,David!

95/100

Excellent review! Loved the background pics of the city...

Very nice review, Elliot.

I've had a few of the '98s and they are quite good. I noted less Monte "twang", which comes across to me as very subtle citrus zest. I have some '00s. Has anyone tried both years? I haven't cracked those boxes yet and would love a comparison.

Best,

Rob

Fantastic review, Elliot!

Great to see you posting, my friend. :thumbs:

Wilkey

What a view. It's funny how some reviews really make you want to go out and try something new.

Good review for a good smoke. Nice pics!

Brian