• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

More Questions

Fyodor

Sorry to be asking so many questions here on the pipe forum but I'm new to this.

I have eight different tobaccos and four of them smell like smoky BBQ. It's kinda strange but I like the taste of them for the most part although it's not something I would want to smoke every day and I doubt I needed four different tobaccos like this, however they are all a bit different from each other. They are: Dunhill Nightcap, Penzance, Frog Morton on the Town and Boswell's Northwoods.

I was wondering what type of tobacco in particular causes this smell. I'm guessing Latakia but I'm not sure. I would like to avoid buying whatever it is for a while because I already have plenty.

And, I was wondering what qualifies a tobacco as an "English Blend"? Is it anything that is not flavored like an aromatic? Would burly be considered an aromatic because they add sugar? Is a Virginia/perique and English blend?

-mark

You are correct, latakia is what gives the blend a "smoky BBQ" aroma.

English blends are generally a mixture of Virginia tobacco with some Latakia and other Orientals. There are many varieties (English, Scottish, Danish, etc.) depending on what is in the blend. They are non flavored as far as that goes.

Generally speaking, many people use the term to describe anything that isn't flavored. In fact, the true definition of "English Tobacco" has limits on the moisture content and casing used on said tobacco, but nothing about what tobacco is actually in the blend.

I think most people probably say that to be an "English Blend" it has to have Latakia. If it's a Virginia based blend with Perique, it's a VAPer. Burley based blends are Burleys, and aromatics are aromatics.

In other words, there's no "absolute" definition.

Confused yet?

:laugh:

You are correct, latakia is what gives the blend a "smoky BBQ" aroma.

English blends are generally a mixture of Virginia tobacco with some Latakia and other Orientals. There are many varieties (English, Scottish, Danish, etc.) depending on what is in the blend. They are non flavored as far as that goes.

Generally speaking, many people use the term to describe anything that isn't flavored. In fact, the true definition of "English Tobacco" has limits on the moisture content and casing used on said tobacco, but nothing about what tobacco is actually in the blend.

I think most people probably say that to be an "English Blend" it has to have Latakia. If it's a Virginia based blend with Perique, it's a VAPer. Burley based blends are Burleys, and aromatics are aromatics.

In other words, there's no "absolute" definition.

Confused yet?

:laugh:

Certainly less confused! But confused all the same. Thanks! :thumbs:

-mark

If you are looking for something totally different than the blends you have now, here are a few suggestions.

Escudo

Rattray's HALL O' THE WIND

Astleys No. 109 Medium Flake

G.L. Pease Haddo's Delight