• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

More tax for Pa.

in2xshp

Banned
Just thought I would let our Pa BOTL/SOTL's about this. I know I will be calling Musto's office this afternoon about this and I hope that others will call their Rep.

PENNSYLVANIA IS CONSIDERING HOUSE BILL # 57 (The Cigarette and Other Tobacco Products Tax Act) TO INCREASE THE TOBACCO TAX BY 59.2%.

This proposed bill may be viewed by clicking on the attachment.

This is in ADDITION to the Federal Tax which was imposed on April 1, 2009.

Please contact the elected officials listed below and ask them to oppose this bill, as this increase is grossly unfair. Ask your elected officials to consider taxing other products such as beer, liquor and soda to help share the tax burden.

Senator Musto: (717) 787-7105 or (570) 459-6366
Senator Argall: (717) 787-2637 or (570) 773-0891
Representative Eachus: (717) 787-2229 or (570) 450-7905
Representative Goodman: (717) 787-2798 or (570) 773-3075
Representative Pashinski: (717) 783-0686 or (570) 825-5934
Representative McCall: (717) 783-1375 or (570) 645-7585

Please visit Cigar Rights of America at www.cigarrights.org to join the fight to protect your freedom to enjoy cigars.

Stay informed of the legislative action in your state at www.IPCPR.com the web-site of the International Premium Cigar and Pipe Retailer Association.

Protect your rights today!

At least it's on the table and you know about it. When NY passed the budget 2 weeks ago, it was negotiated in secret and no one was aware until it was too late. All of this crap makes me sick.

At least it's on the table and you know about it. When NY passed the budget 2 weeks ago, it was negotiated in secret and no one was aware until it was too late. All of this crap makes me sick.

Without public meeting? Isn't that against your state constitution?

That was Fing very dirty work they did.

Thanks for posting this, and I hope other brothers will continue to post their own states battles.

Isreal, you are right thank God I heard of this before the backroom deals that usually happen around here. I have made the call to Sen. Ray Musto's office with no real answer to how he will vote this, however, he is a very old family friend and I can remember this man sucking on a big fat stogie at my grandmothers house at the pool. So..... I don't think that really means much but I hope i could at least offer him a good smoke the next time I see him in Pittston. :rolleyes:

Here is the Text of the Bill this would mean that the average Cigar would go up about $3 a stick
PLEASE CALL YOUR STATE REP!! or if you live outside PA help us out and call one of the below reps
website is pahouse.gov

INTRODUCED BY FRANKEL, JOSEPHS, MANDERINO, McGEEHAN, McILVAINE SMITH, MELIO, MUNDY, SIPTROTH AND K. SMITH, JANUARY 26, 2009

REFERRED TO COMMITTEE ON FINANCE, JANUARY 26, 2009

AN ACT

Providing for cigarette tax definitions and imposition.
The General Assembly of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania hereby enacts as follows:
Section 1. Short title.
This act shall be known and may be cited as the Cigarette and Other Tobacco Products Tax Act.
Section 2. Definitions.
The following words and phrases when used in this act shall have the meanings given to them in this section unless the context clearly indicates otherwise:
"Cigarette." Any roll for smoking made wholly or in part of tobacco, the wrapper or cover of which is made of any substance or material other than tobacco regardless of the size or shape of the roll and regardless of whether or not the tobacco is flavored, adulterated or mixed with any other ingredient. The term cigarette shall not include cigars, little cigars or cigarillos.
"Smokeless tobacco." A product containing finely cut, ground, powdered, blended or leaf tobacco made primarily for individual consumption which is intended to be placed in the oral or nasal cavity and not intended to be smoked. The term includes chewing tobacco, dipping tobacco and snuff.
"Tobacco product." A product containing tobacco for consumption. The term includes a cigar, a little cigar, a cigarillo, pipe tobacco, smokeless tobacco, roll-your-own, smoking tobacco, bidis or beedies and kretek. The term does not include a cigarette.
"Tobacco product distributor or wholesaler." A person engaged in the business of selling tobacco products that sells, exchanges or distributes tobacco products to retailers, consumers or other wholesalers or distributors in this Commonwealth. The term includes a tobacco products manufacturer that has within this Commonwealth any office, sales house or other place of business.
"Wholesale price." The price for which a tobacco manufacturer sells a tobacco product to a tobacco product distributor or wholesaler, exclusive of any discount, rebate or other reduction.
Section 3. Incidence and rate of tax on tobacco products.
(a) General rule.--Except as set forth in subsection (d), a tax is imposed on a tobacco product sold or held for sale in this Commonwealth by a tobacco products distributor or wholesaler to a retailer or consumer. The tax is imposed on the tobacco product wholesale price, regardless of the actual price at which the tobacco product is sold and regardless of whether the tobacco product is sold.
(b) Purchase of stamp.--A tobacco products distributor or wholesaler that brings tobacco products or causes tobacco products to be brought into this Commonwealth is liable for the tax imposed by this section. The tax imposed is to be paid by the purchase of stamps as provided in this act. The stamp shall be affixed to or impressed upon each package of tobacco product.
© Tax.--The tax imposed by this section shall be at the rate of 59.2% of the wholesale price of the tobacco product.
(d) Applicability.--The tax under this section does not apply to a tobacco product which the Commonwealth is prohibited from taxing under the laws of the United States. It shall be presumed that all tobacco products within this Commonwealth are subject to tax. The burden of proof of exemption under this subsection is on the taxpayer or remitter claiming exemption.
Section 4. Effective date.
This act shall take effect immediately.

Here is the Text of the Bill this would mean that the average Cigar would go up about $3 a stick

$3.00/stick? :angry: What is wrong with my politicians?

They're politicians instead of leaders. They aren't capable of making tough decisions, so they cop out and make the "easy" ones. It's going to catch up to them some day when there are no more "easy" targets. It's the same just about everywhere, unfortunately.

I totally agree Alan, we as smokers are easy targets and with all the "scare science" that is getting stuffed down the throats of the general public it only makes sense to then to try to be Superman for the well being of the masses.

Tobacco taxes should be used to treat tobacco related illnesses, end of story. Eventually the law of diminishing returns will catch up and they will look for their next sacred cow.

As I said in another post, big government is out of control and taxing anything that moves in order to perpetuate the huge entitlement programs.

I quote Benjamin Franklin:

"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."

Over 50% of the taxable population are now paying NO taxes. Who do you think they are going to vote for in the next election?

I love the concept of giving this group a "tax reduction". Let's see, they pay no taxes, but we send them a tax rebate anyway. Sounds like welfare to me :angry: .