• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Mosquito Plants

cabaiguan juan

Vote Panda 2024
I've been doing a lot of work in our yard trying to maximize the outdoor living space. Unfortunitly, there are a ton of mosquitos where we live and they chase Woman into the house most nights, and on occasion, myself as well. Are there any plants we can plant that would naturally repell mosquitos? Other then tiki torches, bug spray and importing bats, what can i do that provides a long term solution?

Anyone have luck with those propane setups to lure and kill the things?

I know catnip repels skeeters....but hope you like cats lol.

Here are a few lines from a place in NZ that I purchase my seeds from.
I am starting to use flowers as companions and insect/bug/grub repelants.

Basil - Basil is best planted next to Tomatoes - everyone knows how well they go together in cooking! Used as a border for the Tomato patch, the plants will find it easier to resist disease & the fruits will be tastier. Bees love Basil, while Aphids, Fruit-Fly, White-Fly, the House-Fly & Mosquitoes hate it. Keep a pot near doors & windows to keep Flies out of your Home. Also very handy for medicinal & cooking uses if grown nearby. Keep Basil away from Rue - they definitely dislike each other!

Tansy - Tansy is a good all-round bitter Insect repellent. It is great planted near Cabbages, Roses, Raspberries & Grapes. It concentrates Potassium in the soil, so benefits any plants nearby! Plant it for protection against Japanese Beetle, Striped Cucumber Beetle, Squash Bug, Cut Worms, Cabbage Worms, Ants, Flies, Mosquitoes & Fruit Moth. It is noticeably helpful under Peach Trees, which it assists greatly by warding off flying insects & keeping Borers away.

LINKY

I don't know of any plants that will effectively keep up with the population and not require a whole farm planted.

What I can tell you, and it has been unreal effective for me is to install outdoor post lamps or some wall sconce lighting against your house. Then hang some fly strips from them. The light attracts the bugs and as they stupidly buzz around the light they all get caught in the trap. Everything from stink bugs, aphids, moths, skeeters, and fleas.

Its unreal the effect its had. I always have 10 hanging in my yard. All but 1 from various lighting. I have a large lot and for the first time I can go outside and not have to swat away the bugs. Theres also a bug bag that you could buy that basically just fills up with bugs by using a lure. That will work well if you don't have any outside lighting to hang the strips from. All my lights have a little nub a couple inches away from the glass globe surrounding the bulb/socket that allow me to hang these strips. See below for strips and then the bug bag:

http://www.amazon.com/Pic-FR3-PIC-FLY-RIBBON/dp/B000FJTWG4/ref=pd_sbs_hpc_9

http://www.amazon.com/Flies-Be-Gone-Kills-20000/dp/B000F6BYWM/ref=pd_sim_sg_6

I've got a buddy who's mom had a huge citronella plant that we would sit around while outside, not a mosquitoe one came around.

The best thing I have used was THIS and I found it at Home Depot. It lasted at least 6-8 weeks.

Best thing I've found are the Off Clip-On's. They are a little blue fan that you wear on your pocket, sit on the table etc... It just pulls air through a wick that disperses a chemical into the air, kinda makes a cloud of invisible protection around you. They work pretty well, use it when I go fishing, working in the yard, or just smoking on the patio.

I don't know where you are, but up here mosquitoes are thick and they're huge. We have some citronella plants around the deck, but they don't really make a difference. The only thing we've found that works is fogging in the general area where we'll be sitting. It's inexpensive and effective. Don't breathe it, though. It's hard on the throat. It lasts for a few hours.

We have a propane trap that works OK in a much smaller area than which it's rated, but the mosquitoes are so thick up here it's not as effective as my parent's model in use in Indiana.

One thing we've used this summer for the first time is one of those Off PowerPad lamps. It works pretty good, but the effective radius is pretty small and if there's any wind, forget about it. The refills add up quickly.

Good luck!

I know this is going to sound insane but the best thing you can do is to keep the air moving around you. Those little bastards hate moving air. Any kind of fan will keep them away. That's why the off personal fan things work so well.

I've got a buddy who's mom had a huge citronella plant that we would sit around while outside, not a mosquitoe one came around.

We have these as well, but they work best after you have messed with them to activate the oils ans release them into the air These seem to work as well

good luck

t

Cedar pellets with a broadcast spreader, like you use for Weed 'n Feed. Helps create a "bug unfriendly zone" around your house that cuts down on anything that would lurk in the lawn during the day and come out at night . . . like skeeters. Won't stop the "tourists" but should cut down on the regulars.

~Boar

I have heard of Citronella plants and I think I'm going to. Investigate that further. Thanks for the help guys I've learned a lot esp if we plant a garden.

What I am told about the propane things is that you need to run em for a season and the next year the mozzies are way down. This comes from some heavy mosquito country up in northern Manitoba. They went from being unable to sit on their deck to being able to use it bug free!

Up here in Canada we also have these stinky little green coils you can light up that smoke and deter the little buggers. We just call the mosquito coils but I don't know of that is the actual name or not.

Good luck, nothing ruins summer faster than mosquitos.

Do you have a chiminea or a firepit? I burn pinion wood and it's a natural repellent. I also know those clip on things work as well.

What I am told about the propane things is that you need to run em for a season and the next year the mozzies are way down. This comes from some heavy mosquito country up in northern Manitoba. They went from being unable to sit on their deck to being able to use it bug free!

Up here in Canada we also have these stinky little green coils you can light up that smoke and deter the little buggers. We just call the mosquito coils but I don't know of that is the actual name or not.

Good luck, nothing ruins summer faster than mosquitos.

We purchased one for my in-laws two years back and it works pretty well. The intimidate impact wasn't huge but considering a mosquito lays like a billazon eggs, the reduction in population expands every year.

Also eliminating standing stagnant water is a good way to reduce the populations.

Have you ever heard of the Thermacell? I have one and it works phenomenally. I got mine from Bass Pro they are relatively cheap. The fuel and patches they burn aren't very expensive either. You should look into them, Ive had success with mine.