• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Motorcycle riders?

Shuji

I've been throwing around the idea of buying a bike, but haven't yet decided what I want to get. It turns out that a buddy of mine is selling a 1978 Honda CB750 (don't know if it's an A, F, or K).

I have the oppurtunity to pick this up at a really smashing price ... anyone have any experience with these? Good bikes for beginners? I've been looking at cruisers, and I just can't pass up this price.

Honda makes a great bike. I've had several but haven't had experience with that particular model. If the price is right it sounds like a winner.

Well, I figure since I'm dangerous enough on four wheels, I'd probably kill myself on two so I don't ride motorcycles.

BUT, im my opinion, the only bike to get is a Harley. Yep, they're expensive but since I live a half mile away from a huge biker bar, I didn't even know that anyone lese manufactured motorcycles other than Harley Davidson :D

Find a nice, older Sportster for around $4,000.00. Then you can graduate to one of the bigger ones when you get 20K saved up :D If I was into bikes, I'd have an OLD one. Heck, I don't even know the models but there are some cool looking old bikes at the Bach Dor Cafe in Chaplin, CT on the weekends in the summer.

Good starter bike, big enough for the highway, light enough for city driving

I wouldn't call a 750 a beginner bike by any stretch. A 350 is a starting bike IMO. Either way you can kill yourself on a 125 or a 1640 so if you have any background and the price is right, go for it. Just take it easy while you learn what it is capable of.

I just realized, don't listen to me at all :D

I'm just too entrenched in the Harley Davidson world around me to be able to give reasonable advice. HD's are VERY expensive and I have no idea whether they are worth the money or not. BUT they are COOL !!

AVB said:
I wouldn't call a 750 a beginner bike by any stretch. A 350 is a starting bike IMO. Either way you can kill yourself on a 125 or a 1640 so if you have any background and the price is right, go for it. Just take it easy while you learn what it is capable of.
Well, I'm a big guy. Nothing under a 750 is getting up to 60, let alone into a passing gear above that. :)

The bike is $5 - $700, we haven't decided on a price yet. It books (depending on the model) from 5 - 800.

I'm just not going to be able to beat that price, though I'd love a new bike instead of an old one.

if it's your first bike and you want one...do it.

My first was a honda nighthawk 750 and was an excelent first bike (and I'm by no means a big person AT ALL).

have you riddin' before? If not, I HIGHLY recommend a motorcycle rider training course. Personally, I cannot stress that enough. Those classes are invaluable.

mhn said:
if it's your first bike and you want one...do it.

My first was a honda nighthawk 750 and was an excelent first bike (and I'm by no means a big person AT ALL).

have you riddin' before? If not, I HIGHLY recommend a motorcycle rider training course. Personally, I cannot stress that enough. Those classes are invaluable.
Never ridden, but I will be taking a course.

The CB750 *is* a nighthawk. :)

I got my first bike when I was in second grade. So, been riding quite a while. Right now I ride a new Honda Shadow 750 ACE. I hadn't owned a bike of my own for about ten years, until this past summer when I bought the Honda. I really wanted a Harley, but didn't want to shell out the bucks until I knew I would find time to ride. Well, if I can, I'm buying a Harley this summer. If not this summer, than next for sure. Unless I'm converted from a Harley fan to a BMW fan by brother Devin. LMAO!!

That being said, sounds like this bike may be a perfect place to start for you. I never took a safety course, but would recommend it to anyone learning, now that I am older and wiser. Get this one, ride it this sumer to get a feel for two wheels and then see where you want to go from there.

That sounds like a plan, Matt, thanks.

I was actually looking at the Shadow. That was my first choice for a bike.

I just took the rider course in October. Then I had elbow surgery. But I plan to buy a bike too. Something in the price range you mentioned, in the 400-650 cc range hopefully but if an awesome deal on a 350 or 750 pops up I'll take it.

One of the managers at work recommended calling up your insurance company for quotes of the 3-4 models in which you are most interested.

Insurance quotes have ranged from $350 per year to $750 per year (liability only). Not too bad.

It looks like he wants closer to a grand for this bike now, which I'm not willing to pay for one so old, so it's back to the classifieds!

$750 a year? Jeez, I do 2 cars full coverage for $1100. Things must be way expensive in your neck of the woods.

AVB said:
$750 a year? Jeez, I do 2 cars full coverage for $1100. Things must be way expensive in your neck of the woods.
I'm only 23. :)

When I hit 25, it goes down a LOT.

But the 750 was from a company that doesn't do much insurance for bikes. It's usually more around 350-450.

I concur with the group: this Honda is an ideal starter bike in my opinion, especially if it is a good price and in good mechanical condition.

It probably goes without saying, but unless you are comfortable working on bikes, make really sure it is in good mechanical shape before making the purchase. Regardless of the price, a cheap bike in bad shape (in the hands on someone who can't do the work themselves) can end up costing a lot more in the long-run than a bike that costs more up-front. My only caveat to this: if you are comfortable working on bikes or don't mind buying a shop manual and figuring it out - then so long as it's cheap - this is a great beginner bike (easy to ride, also happens to be fairly easy to repair and work on - and will be very reliable once you fix any problems that exist).

Lastly, although I agree with some CoventryCat's comments on Harleys - I probably disagree with choosing them as a starter bike. The difference in price (you can get an old Honda for under 1K easily - try and find anything but a lemon Harley for under 5K) is astounding and unless you really enjoy working on bikes - an old harley is masochistic in terms of maintenance. Again, if you enjoy working on bikes, then the old harley becomes much more appealing (they will suck up hours, but the value of the bike will hold or even go up as you improve it). I'm a harley fan and have owned several, but anyone who says the older ones are low-maintenance is smoking more than cigars... ;)

Cheers,

- Oak

Matt, you need a Norton
ukflag.jpg

Or maybe a Moto Guzzi ;)

Oh, Oak, you are 100% correct, a Harley is probably not a good "first" bike. And like you said, getting a Harley for under 5K that won't need something is darn near impossible AND yep, the "old" ones are a "labor of love" (just like my Jaguars :D ) so ya gotta be prepared for that!!

Like I said, don't listen to me :D

My Dad had an old MotoGuzzi a long time ago and I know a couple guys who ride 'em still. ;) The new Norton's are not my cup of tea. I wish I had the scratch to have a few bikes. There are definately different bikes for different occasions. :) If I had the ability, I'd keep my Honda, buy a BMW for long trips, a crotch rocket of some kind, probably a Honda, for speeding around the back roads, a 2004 Harley Road King and a custom chopper. Not the OCC custom ones, probably something closer to the style Paul Yaffee builds. That would be just to ride back and forth to local bike events. My ass couldn't take long rides on one of those. :p

Matt R said:
a crotch rocket of some kind, probably a Honda, for speeding around the back roads,
Ducati is the only was to go there....Desmoquattro (sp?)