• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

MP3 recommendations

TampaSupremo

Hellbent for Glory-land
Was wondering what kind of MP3 players y'all like. I'm leaning towards the Sandisk e-series, but I really have no experience with MP3 players. Does anyone not recommend the Sandisk? Is there a better option? Thanks in advance.

TampaSupremo

I use the free 1Gb player I got from Napster. My wife uses a Creative ZEN. I have had a couple times the Napster one just locks up and gotta reset it. No problems with the ZEN in a year of ownership.

I am looking to possibly replace mine with a factory refurb touch ZEN. Can't hardly beat a 20Gb for $50.

I have the Creative M Vision. Functionally it is far superior to the I Pod but the software and ease of use is no where near teh convenience of the Pods. Personally I would stick with the Pods if I had to do it over again.

I've bought Sandisk players for my nieces and nephews and haven't had any complaints yet. The one thing I did do was show them the difference between lossless and crappy lossy MP3 sound. With the amount of storage available there is no reason to put up with the poor quality of sound that MP3 produces just to save disc space.

Zune? Some of the original 30gb I bet will be had for $100.00 for a refurb this christmas season.

Why no iPod?

There is a reason it is the best-selling player around...

My wife just got one of the new nanos and it has an amazing screen and they just WORK they way you think they should...

Why no iPod?

There is a reason it is the best-selling player around...

My wife just got one of the new nanos and it has an amazing screen and they just WORK they way you think they should...
I was thinking the same thing. When I first got an mp3 player years ago it was an mpio player and I was VERY disappointed in it. Once I went iPod I never looked back. Wife just got me the iPod touch for my birthday and I'm using it to post this reply :)

I have a Sansa 4g MP3. Maybe 6 months of use. Replaced the headphones for a set more comfortable. Otherwise no complaints.

Yep, the ipod is VERY user friendly, so much that i was forced to buy an iphone

I believe the failure in most MP3 players to compete with the iPod is the software. iTunes is simply amazing and just has no equal in the market. Its so simple to use.

Thanks for the responses, folks.

I don't necessarily have anything against iPods, but it seems like that's the first thing people say-"Buy an iPod" without consideration to other MP3's that might be on par or better. Of course, maybe that's because the are better.

TampaSupremo

I have the Creative M Vision. Functionally it is far superior to the I Pod but the software and ease of use is no where near teh convenience of the Pods. Personally I would stick with the Pods if I had to do it over again.

I had one of these before I ventured into iPod territory. The Creative had an amazingly large screen - truly beautiful to behold. It weighed like a brick though, although it felt solid. But, beyond the software issues mentioned, it ultimately crapped out completely within the first 30 days I had it. Back it went and I then got the 80g Video iPod, before finally getting the 160g recently.

I recently did some reading on iPod repair and ended up buying a couple "dead" iPods off Ebay.

Got a 40g and a pair of 15g's that were advertised as dead. Had the 40 and one of the 15's working in less than 10 minutes. Just needed to be reset is all. The other 15g needs a new hard drive.

Paid 20 bucks for the 15's and 26 for the 40. Not a bad investment. I use the 40 and my daughter has the 15. No problems with either one as of yet.

With all the music that I have, I have yet ventured into the portable mp3 player world. But am thinking about getting one since playing with a friends Zune yesterday. The iPod is slick, popular and cool but I've heard about so many issues with these things. Good grief, nothing can just be easy these days :rolleyes:

AVB, lossless? your the guru ..... can you give a pointer to some good reading on the subject.

:cool:

If you won't buy an Ipod then the Microsoft Zune is a good one to look at. They are running Christmas specials on them right now and you can get a new one for $100-$115 depending on where you shop. My mom has the Zune and loves it. She has had it for a year and she hasn't had any problems out of it.
B

I have two ipods and also a couple of cheaper RCA players and to me the extra money spent on the ipod is well worth it. The ease of use and software is pretty superior to anything else I have seen and the aftermarket for accesories and addons is huge. I have the harmon kardon drive and play in my personal vehicle and a belkin fm transmitter in my work truck and for the most part never listen to the radio.

Long term iPod user and I love mine. :thumbs:

My son just gave me a Zune and all I can say is Microsoft screwed up big time! I couldn't load the software because I didn't have the latest version of Windows Media Center. Imagine that? Making a player that is not backwards compatible with your own companies software. Needless to say after downloading the revisions and rebooting my computer several times I still couldn't get the software to work. I googled all the usual sites for answers and guess what that was the biggest problem, with no known solution. Needless to say the Zune went back to the store. :(

I believe the failure in most MP3 players to compete with the iPod is the software. iTunes is simply amazing and just has no equal in the market. Its so simple to use.
I love my ipod but can't stand iTunes. I wish the ipod would just work like a simple harddrive (like my old mp3 players I used to own). They were much easier to download and organize. What gets on my nerves is keeping up with the tags. If they're off, then the organization on your ipod will be as well. Oh well, other than that I'm an ipod fan. I've got a nano to run with and a 80gb (mainly for my car).

IPods are a plague. But they're the best players out there, unfortunately.

What the Zune lacks in fad-ism/advertising, it makes up for in effectiveness. There's nothing wrong with the newer Zunes -- but the really old ones sort of sucked with support.

Go with what's best for your budget. Most of them work similarly. ITunes, in my opinion, is a worthless piece, but hey, to each their own.