• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Music Education - what's on your must listen to list?

bfreebern

Yada, Yada, Yada.
This goes hand in hand with the "What are you listening to" thread. If you're raising kids and want them to have a well rounded "music education", what's on your required listen to list? Or if you're wanting to expand someone's narrow music background, what are you suggesting they listen to?

I've found things that I would have never found, if it wasn't for the "What are you listening to" thread.

Jazz and Ragtime

The interesting part of this...is more music history (to me).

I enjoy knowing how things evolved - or devolved in some cases.
I grew up listening to Benny Goodman - Ella - Cab - Sinatra - - Bennet - Woody Herman ...and even John Denver...the Beach Boys...Harry Chapin....and then there were the Musicals.
A lot can be taken from watching Musicals.

back on point - just play some things that got swing I suppose :D

They should start making music and learn rhythm as soon as possible. My grandson is three. He can play sticks. Not always in time, but hell, he's only three.

Doc

I Love Ragtime. I've considered checking digital radio for a channel or three. Our one local station used to do a ragtime deal every Friday Eve. Good way to learn on the cheap.
Might be worth checking your locals. Anything toe tapping is a winner.

eta: oops, forgot to add my "obsession". There is a form of Hebrew Hymnal Music that I find absolutely haunting. Note progressions just get me. I heard it a lot as a child in NYC. I have NEVER had any luck determining if there it is a style, or whatever musical tag would fit. I also haven't heard it in years since moving South. They must be popular Hymns, but in the South, I don't know anybody that goes to synagogue.

Last edited:
I love bebop jazz and Delta blues. :D

There are also little musical niches, like "Texas music" (James McMurtry especially) and "Dreampop" (Cocteau Twins there) that not everyone's aware are out there, that are definitely worth exploring.

Also, glam never dies. ;)

david-bowie-4.jpg

~Boar

Take whatever current degenerative crap they listen too now and then show the history of how it came about. You don't have to go back too far before hundreds of variants are available to pick from.

My kids do their homework in the kitchen and we have a Amazon Echo there. When homework starts my wife or I will usually put on Classical like Bach or Beethoven or Verdi or Chopin, or Jazz/Big Band like Gillespie, Ellington, Basie, Miles, or Gershwin.

My kids do their homework in the kitchen and we have a Amazon Echo there. When homework starts my wife or I will usually put on Classical like Bach or Beethoven or Verdi or Chopin, or Jazz/Big Band like Gillespie, Ellington, Basie, Miles, or Gershwin.
And then do they ask the Echo for the answers to their homework? :D