• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Mussels from Brussels

MX

Quietly getting back into the cigar culture.....
This is one of my new Favs.

First follow these rules...

# Choose your mussels with care, buying them only from reputable supermarkets and fishmongers.
# Raw mussels are always sold live: they should be shiny, mostly unbroken and closed, and generally smell of nothing other than the sea.
# Get them home straight away and cover them with plenty of cold fresh water (mussels don't like tap water, so they shut up and wait for the real tide to come in!).
# Scrub them well and remove any barnacles and the tough fibrous 'beard'. Throw away any with broken shells.
# Raw mussels that refuse to close when rapped on the side of the sink are dead: throw them away.
# Mussels that remain closed having just been through the cooking process were dead before you bought them and should also be chucked out.

Cooking them is really easy.

Place some butter or olive oil in a large pot and heat. Saute leeks, celery, garlic and onion until tender but still under cooked.
Add a couple of cups of liquid, any white or clear will do. I use either a sweet white wine or some Pilsner beer mix with equal parts water.
Add some lemon slices and anything else you might like....
Bring to a boil, and place mussels in pot.
Cook 3-4 minutes, stir, shake, or fold mussels over and cook for another few minutes.

Discard any that did not open while cooking.

I serve with Belgium Frites and pan seared Wolf Fish.

Enjoi

tim

Next thing you know them Belgians will have you eatin' snails.

Doc.

Next thing you know them Belgians will have you eatin' snails.

Doc.

This one might bite back
gallery_5446_239_157400.png

Tonight, Grimbergen Blond and Double.

Tim

Finally in a state with decent seafood I will have to try this one out. On a funny side note there was a boulder near where I went to college called "Muscles from Brussles".

How did the Grimbergen pair with the dish?

Finally in a state with decent seafood I will have to try this one out. On a funny side note there was a boulder near where I went to college called "Muscles from Brussles".

How did the Grimbergen pair with the dish?

Very well, of course after 6 or 7 I forgot that I was even eating.......

Tim