• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

My 1st Coolerdor!

drockspang1

Well, thanks to my short time here on CP, my cigar count has grown exponentially! :) I thought I'd share a few pics of my first coolerdor. I can't believe how fast it's filling up! I haven't even started to participate in any passes/box splits yet (I'm still in the waiting period), so I can't imagine where this is going?

Here's some specs:                      Igloo 48 qt cooler(I know, I should of went bigger!)
                                                      I added some 6x4x1/8in spanish cedar panels(probably overkill?)
                                                     2 cedar trays
                                                     1 Oust battery operated fan(this works great!)
                                                     & some silica beads...

I found tons of instructions for this on CP. I have to tell you, I'm so glad I did this! It was very inexpensive, and it gives me so much more room... for now! :)

[sharedmedia=gallery:albums:1710]

Thanks,
                                             Derek

That's a nice setup.  I see some cooler Tetris in your future.  I've played successfully several times but I'm afraid Keystone_Raider's last sale will be my downfall.

Nice setup! I have been toying with the Idea to setup a cooler since my box count is getting up there.

Paul

Yeah me too. I started thinking about reboxing some cigars in the humi to make space. Coolidor is the way to go I guess !
:)

Nice job with the cooler. Looks like it's already full. :) 

Thanks guys!

"Cooler Tetris"!... Nice! I'm sure it's coming. I do have a little more room yet... but it's close! And for anyone on the fence about building one, I would def recommend it. I  put this one together for less then $100! How can you beat that? I don't know if the fan is needed or not? Some like them, some say its' overkill? It def takes up valuable real eastate, though. :)

I made something outta of a cooler once, wonder if any of my technology is of any help. We used to go camping in RI every year TENT style (now we have a 45ft diesel pusher) so needless to say no more tent LOL anyway in JULY it used to get hot as balls in the tent some nights, So I grabbed a cooler about the same size as yours, and 2 computer fans, and some PVC pipe and 2 PVC elbows. So what I did was Drilled 2 holes on the top on 1 side of the cooler and mounted the fans facing down into the cooler side by side. Then drilled 2 more holes on the other side of the lid and put in a PVC pipe in each hole down into the cooler about 3 inches each, and added the elbow at the top of each sticking out of the cooler..... So then what I did was grabbed a couple bags of ice each night added them and some water to the cooler, about half way up, and hooked the fans to a Jumper pack. What it did was took the tent air, blew it into the cooler across the ICE WATER and up and out of the PVC tubes acting as a REDNECK AC unit WORKED INSANELY well! anyway I know a coolador is nothing like that set up, but maybe just some ideas for air movement inside the cooler if needed.

extremeXconcepts said:
I made something outta of a cooler once, wonder if any of my technology is of any help. We used to go camping in RI every year TENT style (now we have a 45ft diesel pusher) so needless to say no more tent LOL anyway in JULY it used to get hot as balls in the tent some nights, So I grabbed a cooler about the same size as yours, and 2 computer fans, and some PVC pipe and 2 PVC elbows. So what I did was Drilled 2 holes on the top on 1 side of the cooler and mounted the fans facing down into the cooler side by side. Then drilled 2 more holes on the other side of the lid and put in a PVC pipe in each hole down into the cooler about 3 inches each, and added the elbow at the top of each sticking out of the cooler..... So then what I did was grabbed a couple bags of ice each night added them and some water to the cooler, about half way up, and hooked the fans to a Jumper pack. What it did was took the tent air, blew it into the cooler across the ICE WATER and up and out of the PVC tubes acting as a REDNECK AC unit WORKED INSANELY well! anyway I know a coolador is nothing like that set up, but maybe just some ideas for air movement inside the cooler if needed.
Wow brotha! You seem to be pretty handy... me... not so much! :)

That's cool, though! You could probably figure out a way to make some sort of air flow device, if you ever built one? Like I said, I'm not too sure it's needed, particularily in my 48qt cooler, but as the coolerdor gets bigger(which it's sure to do!), then it might become more useful. I heard Oust stopped making those battery operated fans, so I wanted to snatch one up, while the gettin' was good!... Thanks Ebay!

Anyway, I appreciate the feedback!

Ya I just steal them out of old computers they work perfect, also they have many different sizes and speeds so you can find whatever you need. You can check out NEWEGG.com computer stuff they have crazy fans with led lights and all sorts of trick shit. Just in case you cant find what you need.

Jeff

Nice set-up Derek. You should have that thing packed in no time with the rate you're going.  :laugh:  What does your brother think of your new stock pile ?

extremeXconcepts said:
Ya I just steal them out of old computers they work perfect, also they have many different sizes and speeds so you can find whatever you need. You can check out NEWEGG.com computer stuff they have crazy fans with led lights and all sorts of trick shit. Just in case you cant find what you need.

Jeff

Thanks for the heads up Jeff, I'll check them out.

Derek

Set-In-Stone said:
Nice set-up Derek. You should have that thing packed in no time with the rate you're going.  :laugh:  What does your brother think of your new stock pile ?

Thanks "Set-In-Stone'. I'm trying my damnest to fill that thing up! My wife's getting a little concerned. Just last night I was telling her about a contest I joined here on CP, and she asked; "You're not getting a bigger cooler, are you?" My reply: "We'll see how it goes?"... :p

Now, as to the 2nd part of your question... This is my bad. When I wrote my "Bio" the other day, I pondered how personal to get. Well, I should of just been up front, because I knew my brother would come up, seeing how he's the main reason I got into cigars, He died about 19 months ago. He was 38 years old. We were really close, I'm 4 years younger. Anyway, I didn't want to get all "sob story" in my bio, so I left it out. I apologize for letting the door open to that question 'Set-In-Stone', I meant no offense. I'm pretty new to this stuff, so I was unsure how much to tell. Anyway, don't sweat it. The glass top humidor mentioned in my bio, was given to me after he died by my sister-in-law. That's why I started back up. I'll edit my profile page accordingly. Again my apologies... I feel like a d-bag... I should of just been up front.

No apologies needed and sorry to hear of your loss. . . I tend to read a lot and noticed that there was a connection there to cigars in your introduction and sorts. I just thought it would be a funny conversation between you two.( Im sure your brother is supporting the coolidor !  ;) ) Anyways, no need to feel like a d-bag. If anyone feels like a d-bag right now, it's me  ???  :laugh: . 

thefatguy said:
Nice set up, and I'm sorry to hear you lost your brother.
Ian.
Thanks Ian... Appreciate it!

Set-In-Stone said:
No apologies needed and sorry to hear of your loss. . . I tend to read a lot and noticed that there was a connection there to cigars in your introduction and sorts. I just thought it would be a funny conversation between you two.( Im sure your brother is supporting the coolidor !  ;) ) Anyways, no need to feel like a d-bag. If anyone feels like a d-bag right now, it's me  ???  :laugh: . 
Hey 'Set-In-Stone'...

Don't sweat it! That's why I feel bad, I didn't want to put anybody in a weird spot. Anyway, alls good bro! For the mistake on my part... Keep an eye on your mailbox...

And you bought from me? I think I should PM you in regards to doing a NSTT!!!

wkoti said:
And you bought from me? I think I should PM you in regards to doing a NSTT!!!
... Ha! Believe it or not. All of those boxes you see there were bought in the last 2 mos. I'm in the car business(I own a small lot), and I ran into a guy at an auction who used to be my sales manager many moons ago! He's a long time cigar smoker. Anyway, we've done a couple box splits and he usually lets me keep the boxes... Partly because he doesn't have the room. Most of those are only half full. I probably have a little more room in there then what I realize. Also, I should point out, the Opus box is used to keep NC stuff in, not just Opus. But, if you're wanting to do something... Hit me up!

Very nice setup. I see you are learning that after joining this site, cigar storage becomes an issue. Albeit, a good one.

Very cool setup!  I'm running into storage issues with my fridgidor downstairs, as well.  I might have to invest in a cooler for box storage.  

Sorry to hear about your brother, but what an excellent way to honor him and carry on his memory by continuing to share his beloved hobby.  You have nothing to apologize for in your bio.  

Nice setup!  I think you will be expanding to another cooler soon!