• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

My 1st review : Balmoral - Anejo XO (Dominican)

Kart001

Hi everyone

This is my 1st review and as I wrote in my presentation, I’m a newbie in the world of cigars so forgive my lack of expertise (and my grammar – vocabulary mistakes because I’m French :D)

Unfortunately this 1st review will be about a cigar I didn’t like that much (which is pretty uncommun) : Balmoral – Anejo XO Small Robusto

Wrapper color : Oscuro

Pre light : mostly sweet aroma (honey) ; and cedar (probably from my cave too). The construction seems great with no imperfections

1st third : The savour is mostly bitter (from my point of view) and the sensation is mostly on the « dryness ».

On the retrohaling, the aromas are completely different from the « pre light » and tend towards the coffee (roasted), herbal and wood (but more oak and not cedar which is more « sweeety » from my point of view). I was expecting something more sweety for a 1st third and was a little surprised.

2nd third : the roasted coffee stayed and the wood too. The herbal aroma is fainting and is replaced with earth and a little pepper. The savour stayed bitter and the sensation is between dryness and spicy.

3rd third : pretty much the same than the 2nd but a new aroma more on the « toasted » came, the pepper is stronger and the coffee disappeared . No big change neither on the savour and sensation but I noted more bitterness and dryness.

What I liked :
  • perfect construction and a very nice combustion
  • very tasty cigar with a lot of aromas
  • good density of the smoke
What I didn’t like :
  • indeed the general flavour and aromas… In fact, the cigar was not really to my taste because too dry and lacked (for me) some sweet flavour that I like so much !
Anyway, I think this is not a bad cigar if you like something quite strong with the characteristics I described.

So general rating will be 6/10 for me because I don’t like it that much but I guess you can consider a 7/10 otherwise.

Thanks to all who read me till the end 😊

Here are some pictures :

Attachments

• 20200816_174336.jpg
    20200816_174336.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 20200816_155539.jpg
    20200816_155539.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 20200816_164800.jpg
    20200816_164800.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 6
Excellent review, especially for your 1st one... 😊

Good review, thanks! I enjoy easily read, concise reviews. Your format looks like it'll be a great framework going forward.

I've had one of these, and while it was okay but largely forgettable, I'm sad that Royal Agio and the Balmoral brand are headed for extinction in the US market. Again. This brand seems cursed.

Halfwheel article (linky)

Great review. I am actually quite curious to see some reviews of those cigars that are mostly available in Europe and not in US much.

there is a brand called El Septimo. From Costa Rica. Their claim to fame is really aged tobacco. Mostly available in Europe. Wonder if you smoked one and what are your thoughts if you did

Thx a lot for all your kind messages which encourage me :)

Great review. I am actually quite curious to see some reviews of those cigars that are mostly available in Europe and not in US much.

there is a brand called El Septimo. From Costa Rica. Their claim to fame is really aged tobacco. Mostly available in Europe. Wonder if you smoked one and what are your thoughts if you did

I haven't tried this brand but will try to find one
I'll post a review as soon as I have smoked one

GREAT review. If I had those writing skills I would be a FOG on this site. Good to have you here.