• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

My best friends first real cigar experience...

Get in, Strap in, STFU and Don't Touch Nothin!
As some of you know I'm in the Army and stationed in Iraq. I'm also the only one that smokes cigars regularly in my company so if something significant happens with one of my buddies I offer to sit down and have a cigar with him. Well in this case on of my best friends, Chancey, is leaving on ADVON (advanced party) in a couple of days.

So tonight was a great night for smoking here with the temperature in the high 70s/low 80's, slight breeze and nothing going on tomorrow till the afternoon. I set him up with a Padilla Habano Toro and myself with a RP Olde World Reserve (thanks Adam!). I show him what to look for when he cuts the cap, the general construction of the cigar and out the door we go to the smoking area. Strike up a match or two and they are both burning nicely. He has been showing some interest in getting into smoking cigars so he's asking questions and I'm answering to the best of my knowledge. Everything is going great. He's almost to the band of his cigar at 35 minutes in and I tell him he might want to slow down a little beens he is not a cigar or cigarette smoker. Chancey takes a few more draws off the cigar and then asks if you can put a cigar out and come back to it. I explain how to go about that and notice he's sweating a little bit and hasn't puffed on the cigar for about 5 minutes. I ask him if he's ok and he states he ain't feeling to good. Two minutes later he cuts me off and says "I think I'm gonna be sick." Stands up and sure enough up comes dinner and a full bottle of water not once, twice but three times. I am laughing so hard I about fell out of my chair :laugh: I'm sure you all know how sympathetic guys are when he's watching his buddy get sick. Then I knew what was coming next..."Bro I have to take a shit. I'm sorry I got to go." And he hightails it out of there.

I checked on him after I finished my cigar and he is fine but about out of it and I am sure he will sleep like a baby tonight. He says he can't wait for round two but he's definitely going to slow down on the next one. I'm glad he is willing to try another one later on because it wasn't my intention to turn him off from cigars at all. But still it was one hell of a funny site.

Just had to share :D

That is a great story! I have definitely been in those shoes before.

Great story, :laugh: hope your buddy is alright. Just about every cigar smoker I know has a similar story and still fell in love with the leaf anyway. Thanks for the laugh and take care of yourself!

Bryce

Slamming a Toro in 35 minutes is a pretty impressive feat... even for a cigar smoker! :) Hope you got a full chance to enjoy that OWR..

When I am starting someone out on a cigar I always try to make sure that they have a pretty mild cigar and always try to make sure it is on the smaller side, either robousto if it's a thicker ring gauge or a nice thin ring gauge cigar and make sure they take their time with it.

It makes for a good story for sure though! :laugh:

Ahhh poor soul! :laugh: That was an awesome read brother! I think we've all been there at least once, so tell him he's not alone. Take it slow, savor not just the cigar, but the time you spend smoking it.

laugh.gif
I'm so glad he wants to try smoking a cigar again, 'cause as soon as I read toro....35 minutes....uh, oh I wanna read slower so I don't miss anything.

You made my day 360!

Slamming a Toro in 35 minutes is a pretty impressive feat... even for a cigar smoker! :) Hope you got a full chance to enjoy that OWR..

When I am starting someone out on a cigar I always try to make sure that they have a pretty mild cigar and always try to make sure it is on the smaller side, either robousto if it's a thicker ring gauge or a nice thin ring gauge cigar and make sure they take their time with it.

It makes for a good story for sure though! :laugh:

I definitely did. Goes back to that whole sympathy thing. I told him I was finishing mine. It was great because when he left I was still sitting out there and a few of the guys came out to smoke cigarettes and I got to tell them the story right there with evidence and all. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Wow, haha reminds me of an incident just a week or so ago where an Oliva Serie V completely destroyed my one friend (a very occasional smoker).

Thanks for the read! I've never quite lost my lunch from a cigar, but I've definitely had the sweats and felt the rumbling gut. Just hope your buddy made it to the can before filling his pants.

I guess I'm lucky. I've yet to have a cigar that has made me get the sweats or a rumbling gut. I don't know whether that makes me :cool: or just odd :rolleyes: :sign:

Ha... great story.

I never got to the point of puking but really felt like I was going to.

One thing I didn't realize when I started smoking, and soon learned, was that smoking a cigar is a time consuming process, and that's why I love it. Definitely take your time with it and enjoy it.

I think you had a great experience. I really liked it and I too want to feel that experience.

Very nice. Glad to see he wasn't turned off! I introduced a friend to cigars in the sandbox a few years ago in a very similar fashion with a Padron 2000. The results weren't quite as hilarious as yours- my friend only threw up once!

Because cigar smoking is such a great social activity, I keep a handful of some of the better General/Altadis sticks in my humidor now as moocher sticks. It's a good way to introduce someone to smoking without the side effects. :laugh:

Next time tell the poor guy not to inhale... :laugh:

For your next outing, have some sugar ready; hard candy, Hershey bar, even sugar packets, etc. Taken in time it can really dull if not prevent nicotine sickness.

And tell your buddy not to power hork his smoke......
laugh.gif