• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

My Contribution to the site....BBQ

Thanks, FWIW the gas grill is nice wih the push button fire but you can't beat charcoal!! I can see I will have to have both :)

tangomar said:
Thanks, FWIW the gas grill is nice wih the push button fire but you can't beat ,charcoal!! I can see I will have to have both :)
[snapback]272309[/snapback]​

For grilling(short cooking at higher temps...ie. burgers, hot dogs, brats, etc), you cant beat gas really and the flavor difference just isnt there.

But TRUE bar-b-quing(lower temps for longer periods of time) charcoal will always remain king as it imparts more flavor...hence the reason why i went with a charcoal smoker instead of a gas or electric one. They are more work to get started and keep going, but they more than make up for that in the flavor department!!

Jeffro600 said:
tangomar said:
Thanks, FWIW the gas grill is nice wih the push button fire but you can't beat ,charcoal!! I can see I will have to have both :)
[snapback]272309[/snapback]​

For grilling(short cooking at higher temps...ie. burgers, hot dogs, brats, etc), you cant beat gas really and the flavor difference just isnt there.

But TRUE bar-b-quing(lower temps for longer periods of time) charcoal will always remain king as it imparts more flavor...hence the reason why i went with a charcoal smoker instead of a gas or electric one. They are more work to get started and keep going, but they more than make up for that in the flavor department!!
[snapback]272379[/snapback]​

The charcoal grill I had was 10+ years old I went for the convenience and lost the taste :( Live and learn!

I'm proud to say I only use Wood. No charcoal, no gas. Even when I cook steaks in my weber, I just get a good hot bed of Red Oak coals and cook away.

I've got wood!! :laugh:

I've got nothing but respect for folks that cook on charcoal and wood. I cooked over coals for years. Nowadays though, a lot of things compete for my time and while The Wife® loves to grill, I doubt she has the slightest interest in doing it over charcoal. When we moved into our house, we splurged a little and bought ourselves a Jenn Air gas grill. Not the top of the line mind you but it does have four burners and enamaled cast iron grates.

Which brings me to thanking Erick again for the recipes and tips. I barbecued a boston butt on the grill yesterday with some Jack Daniels oak chips. The Jenn Air worked like a champ with the left and right burners providing indirect heat. It was good enough to eat without sauce but I had to have it anyway. I got carried away in the sauce department, too. I made both the eastern and central NC styles, and I made the dry rub just to have it on hand for later.

We had ourselves BBQ sandwiches topped with cole slaw, and baked beans on the side. The Wife® couldn't decide which sauce she liked better...so she had both. Damn good stuff. No doubt about what we're havin' for lunch today.

PetersCreek - Did you get yours from Lowes? I also bought the 48,000 BTU one last spring but it came with stainless steel grates. I had to get the Rotisserie too. :thumbs:

Jenn_air_48,000_170.jpg

Mine's the model below that one, the JA460...which isn't available anymore, I guess. I think it's the same BTU rating as yours but has some enameled/painted black parts.

nice work. How did the boston butt turn out???

any info on how long you cooked it for, what temp etc???

what a great topic, i have saved all of your recipe's that you have posted and will be trying them later this week. Supposed to get up to the mid 50's here in Chicago this week.

I'm going to have to get my hands on some of that Jerky.

Hillbilly Steaks said:
nice work. How did the boston butt turn out???

any info on how long you cooked it for, what temp etc???
[snapback]272522[/snapback]​
It turned out damned good, friend. It was tasty all by its lonesome without any sauce. I used the salt/pepper/evoo rub you suggested in your prime rib recipe. Cooked it for about 4 hours at 275-300°F.

Actually cooking over charcoal is not that much more time consuming than gas. You have to start the gas grill, let it heat up and burn all the crud off and scrape it before you put the food on.

If you use a Weber charcoal chimney it takes about the same time to get the coals red hot, and if you have the base of a turkey fryer even less time. No lighter fluid needed, just one piece of newspaper. There is no need to heat the grill to burn off gunk since it will have burnt off last time you used it as the coals died.

I have a weber gasser, actually have 4 webers total, but use the gasser for quick dogs and burgers only. Everthing else is on the smoker or 22.5 kettle.

a good cheap way to get a chimney starter for charcoal is just cut the top and bottom out of a coffee can and stack them in there! :D

BTW, I've got 2 boston butts on right now and a beef brisket. They've been in the cooker since 11am and I haven't even as much as peeked at them yet. About to go take them off. Its always fun to try and pull the butts off the cooker at this point cause they totally fall apart.

Its a beautiful thing! :whistling:

I was just reading this great thread and as I was getting to the end I noticed the last post was Jan 8th and I thought why did this great thread die and then I say good ole Hillybilly Steaks keep the thread alive with his post yesterday. Great thread and great recipes!!! If you want to try a nice commercial Carolina sauce (I love it on pulled pork) try Reds bbq sauce.

Just when you thought this thread had gone away.....

Here is a nice little recipe for a good spicy appetizer.

we make these a lot in the summer time and they are fantastic!

Grilled Pepperoncini's with cheese and Bacon.
all you need is a nice big jar of some good pepperoncini's, a can of easy cheese, some uncooked bacon, and barbecue sauce.

pepperoncini.jpg

Take the pepperoncini's out of the container and let them sit on some paper towels to let them dry out a bit. if any seem to have excess juices inside try and squeeze it out.

once they are ready, take your can of easy cheese and carefully poke a little hole in the end of the pepper. Then squirt some easy cheese inside. Don't blow it up like a balloon, but give it a decent amount. Try and keep the hole as small as posible. Do this to all of the peppers.

Now take your bacon and start wrapping the pepperoncini's. Usually one slice of bacon cut in half is enough for one pepper. Wrap them all in the bacon. it helps to poke a tooth pick thru each one to keep the bacon wrapped up nice.

Once you have all the peppers ready to go, dip each one in your favorite BBQ sauce.

Now they are ready for the grill. Basically just heat your grill to about medium heat, on the lower side is better. If you're using a gas grill, just keep an eye on them so that they don't burn. basically just cook them until the bacon starts getting crisp. towards the end, I like to brush them again with some more sauce. then they are good too go.

also, don't be alarmed when they are cooking if you see some cheese leaking out. This is quite normal, and pretty much unavoidable.

Carefull eating them right away, hot cheese = ruined day when you scorch the back of your throat.

Enjoy my BOTL's....this is a recipe I don't share that often.

Holy crap. Thaat sounds OUTSTANDING! Now to convince myself that easy cheese and bacon are two things that I should allow in my diet!

Holy crap. Thaat sounds OUTSTANDING! Now to convince myself that easy cheese and bacon are two things that I should allow in my diet!

Don't worry, for the "cleansing" effect it will have on you the next day, it must be good stuff. :laugh:

Super fiber if you will.

LOL! For someone who hasn't eaten red meat in a few years, plus the effect of the sheer number of these I would probably gobble down....I have no sdoubt the effect would be....substantial.

Well now I know what a Pepperoncini is :) These sound awesome!

Thanks Hillbilly

LOL! For someone who hasn't eaten red meat in a few years, plus the effect of the sheer number of these I would probably gobble down....I have no sdoubt the effect would be....substantial.

maybe you could substitue turkey bacon...I think they make that stuff??