• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

My Corn Cob pipe burned up today!

ckeller52

"All the Twitters. I know them."
On the way to work I had a bowl of Boswell's True English in one of the pack of two CCP's I bought off eBay a few weeks ago. I lit it with a bic lighter and started my drive. Ten minutes into the drive I noticed the side of the bowl was dark like it was carboned up. Five minutes I noticed red glowing in the black and i knew I was smoking CC now. :)

Did I do something wrong or was the pipe just too cheap? It was not a Meerschaum pipe.

most likely you have a cheap pipe, Missouri Meerschaum makes the best
cobs hands down. burnouts can happen, but they should be rare. i have some MM
cobs that are decades old and still smoke great.

you can buy your cobs directly from:

Missouri Meerschaum

also, your bic lighter isn't designed to light pipes. you would be better off using
matches or a Zippo PIPE lighter.

Another possibility is that you were driving with the window down (were you?). The draft from the window could have caused the burnout. In the same vein, pipe smoking on a windy day outdoors can be a risky venture. :0

IMHO, BIC lighters are fine for pipe lighting, they have a soft flame and are pretty directable.

Yeah, they were cheap pipes. Linky I think I'm going to sell the other one on ebay.

Thanks for the MM link I'm placing an order tomorrow.

I enjoy using a match but the Bic is more convenient in the van and yes the window is always open when I smoke regardless of the temperature here in Chicago. Which coincidently also has wind in it's nick name.

Seems it was a perfect storm for this pipe smoking disaster today.

Look around the web. You can probably find a Missouri Meer for less than on their website.

Mars Cigars has a pretty good selection and good prices. When Frenchy has them he has good prices, too. I've had a couple of transactions at both with no problems at all.

Look around the web. You can probably find a Missouri Meer for less than on their website.

Mars Cigars has a pretty good selection and good prices. When Frenchy has them he has good prices, too. I've had a couple of transactions at both with no problems at all.

Alan

Great tip on Mars Cigars those prices are way better so I placed an order today. :thumbs: