• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

My dog died in last night

Johnny B

Losing a pet is rough. I've had Jaden for just under 9 nine years and she had stopped eating and drinking two days ago. I was planning on taking her to the vet today, but she didn't make it.
I've had childhood pets pass away, but Jaden was my first out-of-my-parent's-house pet.
What a bummer, man. :(
My girlfriend thinks I should think about getting another dog, but idk. Thoughts? Inspiration?

Losing a pet is rough. I've had Jaden for just under 9 nine years and she had stopped eating and drinking two days ago. I was planning on taking her to the vet today, but she didn't make it.
I've had childhood pets pass away, but Jaden was my first out-of-my-parent's-house pet.
What a bummer, man. :(
My girlfriend thinks I should think about getting another dog, but idk. Thoughts? Inspiration?
Sorry for your loss. Think of it like a breakup or divorce. Healing time is necessary. You will know when you're ready.

I lost a great dog, he was like a brother to me, a few years ago. It was unexpected and really crushed me. It took me a year before I got another. I didn't want to at first because it felt like I would be trying to "replace him" which would be impossible. After a while it felt more like filling a hole which had developed in my life so I went looking and found another great dog to join our family. But each time we take one into our life, as jbfurdog said, we set ourselves up for a loss and it is a commitment. My two cents worth would be to not rush into it but be open to the idea. It shouldn't be like putting a bandage on the wound but when the time is right let another one into your life...

I lost a great dog, he was like a brother to me, a few years ago. It was unexpected and really crushed me. It took me a year before I got another. I didn't want to at first because it felt like I would be trying to "replace him" which would be impossible. After a while it felt more like filling a hole which had developed in my life so I went looking and found another great dog to join our family. But each time we take one into our life, as jbfurdog said, we set ourselves up for a loss and it is a commitment. My two cents worth would be to not rush into it but be open to the idea. It shouldn't be like putting a bandage on the wound but when the time is right let another one into your life...

Thanks Matt. Yeah, I don't think replacing is a possibility.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Sunday will be a year since we had to have our dog of 12 years put to sleep due to cancer, and I'm still not ready. I think about the little furball every day.

Don't rush it -- you'll know when you are ready. Again, my heart goes out to you.

Man, that is rough... sorry to hear of your loss. My stance on the matter is always to celebrate life rather than mourn death, but I'm sure we all deal in our own way. My thoughts and good wishes are with you...
-Mike

So sorry to hear of your loss. Along the path we've lost several dogs, and it's always a shock. They aren't a 'pet', they are part of the family.

When we lost our little poodle years ago, we went out and got our first Chihuahua, Rosie, the same day. You can never 'replace' a dog but you can sure get another. For us, the same day was the diversion we needed. For others, it takes some time. There is no one right answer.

What I do know is that there are about twelve million dogs and cats euthanized every year, and tens of thousands of them that would love nothing more than to come home with you and be your next dog. I've always thought that when mother nature thins our herd, we'll rescue dogs and give them a loving 'forever' home. I believe there's no better way to remember a loving four legged family member than to save the life of another.

Hang in there.......

Really sorry for your loss. Losing a pet is never easy...

Thanks for all the encouraging and uplifting words. It'll get better. Just gonna take some time.