• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

My Father #3

vortex

"A billion Eddie Barzoons jogging into the future
My Father #3 (6 X 49)

I've been a Pepin ho for a while now but this one was unique enough to even make me do a double take. Yes, it has a bit of a "peppery" feel to it that us hos love. And it has the Nicaraguan long-fillers grown from Cuban-seed in Esteli that most of his cigars have in some measure.

But the Ecuadorian rosado wrapper is truly awesome. The look, the feel, the flavor - it has it all! And the flavor is unique for Pepins, IMO. Sweet and spicy and a bit salty, too. You can taste it's Cuban heritage and it's a pedigree heritage, fer sure.

It starts out mostly spice. By the end of the first third it's showing various sweet flavors like cocoa and toasted almonds. The spice is not the dominant flavor by now but it's always there, the conductor of the symphony. It also has a meaty leathery undertone that, like the spice, is always in the weave. This is a complex and pleasing cigar that is a joy to smoke!

Of course, the burn, draw, and the blending is all typical top-notch Pepin. Perfect!

In fact, after smoking three #3s I have to rate this cigar in the high 90s. Maybe even 97!

Aging a cigar this good would be pointless, at best. Buy this cigar and smoke it. Soon!

Steve

Great review, I love the My Father line it's just a great blend. I bought a box of the lancero's awhile ago but I have to disagree about this:

Aging a cigar this good would be pointless, at best. Buy this cigar and smoke it. Soon!

As good as it was right out of the box, it ages amazingly and relatively quickly (the lanceros do anyway)

Again, great review.

Great review, I love the My Father line it's just a great blend. I bought a box of the lancero's awhile ago but I have to disagree about this:

As good as it was right out of the box, it ages amazingly and relatively quickly (the lanceros do anyway)

Again, great review.
Thanks! :blush: LOL I didn't mean to imply they exist in another, timeless dimension. :laugh: Merely that any improvement, IMO, would be "gilding the lily". An emphatic statement of opinion that I would, of course, love to eat at some future herfing! ;)

I'm curious and interested in your experience with the Lanceros, though. I have only smoked the #3. How long did you store them and what was your take on the difference after that period?

Steve

Again, great review.
Thanks! :blush: LOL I didn't mean to imply they exist in another, timeless dimension. :laugh: Merely that any improvement, IMO, would be "gilding the lily". An emphatic statement of opinion that I would, of course, love to eat at some future herfing! ;)

I'm curious and interested in your experience with the Lanceros, though. I have only smoked the #3. How long did you store them and what was your take on the difference after that period?

Steve

I bought them last October at a Pepin event, I still have a few, but it's been at least a month and a half since I smoked one.

If I remember correctly fresh it had the expected Pepin spice and was full bodied but was also very well balanced and the nicotine kick was pretty well hidden. Since then the spice has dialed back a bit and has allowed other flavors to come out while still being full bodied and balanced. I want to say this is one of the stronger cigar I have smoked that was able to hide how strong it was to the end (due to the balancing of the flavors and the strength of the tobacco). I will probably light on up soon to refresh my memory. :D

I have been keeping my sticks at a bit higher humidity for aging and then dry box them before I smoke them, I think this helped the changes happen as quickly as they did.

I agree I've enjoyed the My Father's that I've had. I have yet to try the lancero though I hear those are truly great.