• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

My first CC!

Shiro

Last Friday a very good friend gave me a Cohiba Siglo VI as a birthday gift. I was floored! This will be my first CC! It's my birthday today so I can't think of a better time to try it out! Yesterday my wife took me to a B&M store in Marin where I picked out my first Padron and a Camacho Triple Maduro. I fired up the Padron (maduro) last night and it was incredible. Now all I have to do is make through work today, Vote on the way home, get back here and Enjoy!

You are going to have a lot of fun with this hobby, I can tell already by your post.

And an understanding wife, too. :thumbs:

Review! :whistling:

I thought about your first being a large ring gauge cigar and I can't help but put my 2 cents in.

The little ones are the best!

Some great and mostly inexpensive flavor bombs to try:

Trini Reyes
Hoyo Petite Robusto
Cohiba Secretos
Partagas Shorts
RASCC
PLPC
Hoyo De Depute

That oughta keep you busy for a while. The little ones almost always have more intense flavor AND cost less, too.

Some retailers let you order singles at box prices and CPass is a great way to try stuff, of course. ;)

And an understanding wife, too. :thumbs:

Review! :whistling:

Yeah, that's immediately what I thought as well. While my wife does not like cigars and I'm sure would prefer that I didn't smoke, she is very cool in that way too. Glad to hear you have a wife that supports your "hobby" as well. :D

I thought about your first being a large ring gauge cigar and I can't help but put my 2 cents in.

The little ones are the best!

Some great and mostly inexpensive flavor bombs to try:

Trini Reyes
Hoyo Petite Robusto
Cohiba Secretos
Partagas Shorts
RASCC
PLPC
Hoyo De Depute

That oughta keep you busy for a while. The little ones almost always have more intense flavor AND cost less, too.

Some retailers let you order singles at box prices and CPass is a great way to try stuff, of course. ;)

Yes! I am going to have to say that I think these are the finest cigars Cuba puts out. I would add SCDLH El Principe too.

Happy birthday and hope you have many more,especially if your wife is willing to shell out for some damn fine cigars.

Good Morning! Thanks for all the kind words. Also thanks for the advise regarding smaller cigars. I have been guilty of choosing the larger sizes. Bigger is better right? I kind of figured it was a bang for the buck thing. Cigar guttony... great, another thing I'll have to explain at the Pearly gates! I'll be on the lookout for the smaller sticks.
Yep, the wife is bomb,(except for a few "that things stinky" comments) :laugh: . She even had a new bottle of Bushmills sitting on the counter when I got home Tuesday! So I got off work early Tues and decided to have a warmup smoke for the evening. I fired up a CAO Cameroon. It was a pleasant enough smoke. A bit on the mild side for me but nice none the less. After dinner it was time to light up the Cohiba. My review skills are non-existent, so please excuse my ignorance,
The first thing that hit me after firing it up was the intense Earth taste.( I was going to say dirt,then I remembered where I was at). It made me think of the saying I read here that the difference was in the dirt. I now know what Cuban dirt tastes like. That subsided after a few drags, and it mellowed out. During the first half or so I believe I tasted Vanilla, Cinnamon, maybe some Nutmeg. There was alot going on there, I just can"t say exactly what. I kept waiting for a bit of sweetness to come through, but it never happened. I was surprised at how clean and crisp the finnish was. The last third or so was very interesting as the clean finnish changed to a thick creamy sensation. It was almost like a butter flavor, along with the spices. I smoked it down till my fingertips started yelling at me.Overall it was an unforgettable experience. I really enjoyed it. It was very different than what I expected, but fun just the same. Thanks again for the replies. You guys are great!

Good Morning! Thanks for all the kind words. Also thanks for the advise regarding smaller cigars. I have been guilty of choosing the larger sizes. Bigger is better right? I kind of figured it was a bang for the buck thing.

That's not an uncommon thought among newer cigar smokers, and many casual cigar smokers as well. I don't think the smaller ring guage cigars are as popular with the masses as they are with the "connoissuer". Smaller ring guage cigar have a tendancy to get hot, and subsequently bitter, if you smoke them to fast, so people tend to shy away from them. However, as you get deeper into the hobby most people tend to find themselves gravitating to the smaller ring guages because you tend to pick up more intense flavors, especially because you are getting a better ratio of wrapper tobacco, and less filler leaves. I know that for a long time after I started I didn't enjoy lanceros, coronas, etc. Now, I prefer those over just about anything else, and a 48-50 ring guage is the biggest size cigar I want to smoke. Unfortunately cigar makers are moving more towards larger ring guage cigars because they sell better to the majority of the buying public.

If you enjoyed the CAO cameroon then you should try some of the smaller ones as they are great too.
The Cariocas , Pampa , Karats , Piccollo , Daggers.
For a short smoke they are all really good and full of intense flavor,I have smoked them all and love them.
They are especially good if you want to smoke several cigars in a sitting,which i tend to do occasionally .

If you enjoyed the CAO cameroon then you should try some of the smaller ones as they are great too.
The Cariocas , Pampa , Karats , Piccollo , Daggers.
For a short smoke they are all really good and full of intense flavor,I have smoked them all and love them.
They are especially good if you want to smoke several cigars in a sitting,which i tend to do occasionally .

I love the Cariocas and Karats. One of my favorite little cigars aren't made any more LVH Early Years Silencio. I went through a few boxes of those before they disappeared. :angry:

Good Morning! Thanks for all the kind words. Also thanks for the advise regarding smaller cigars. I have been guilty of choosing the larger sizes. Bigger is better right? I kind of figured it was a bang for the buck thing.

That's not an uncommon thought among newer cigar smokers, and many casual cigar smokers as well. I don't think the smaller ring guage cigars are as popular with the masses as they are with the "connoissuer". Smaller ring guage cigar have a tendancy to get hot, and subsequently bitter, if you smoke them to fast, so people tend to shy away from them. However, as you get deeper into the hobby most people tend to find themselves gravitating to the smaller ring guages because you tend to pick up more intense flavors, especially because you are getting a better ratio of wrapper tobacco, and less filler leaves. I know that for a long time after I started I didn't enjoy lanceros, coronas, etc. Now, I prefer those over just about anything else, and a 48-50 ring guage is the biggest size cigar I want to smoke. Unfortunately cigar makers are moving more towards larger ring guage cigars because they sell better to the majority of the buying public.

Coronas are the 'Teaching Machine' according to Dion from illusione. I agree.

For a while I was like that also. I figured the smaller cigars weren't "real" cigars. Lately I've been enjoying the smaller cigars more that the larger ones. The fact that they're cheaper is an added bonus. You generally do get more intense flavors from the smaller cigars than their larger cousins. For cubans, the Trinidad Reyes, RASCC, and SCdlH El Principes are winners in my book. There's lot of others also that I haven't gotten around to trying yet.