• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

My First Cuban

Victemizer

I just smoked my first cuban, a Montecristo #4. A buddy brought it back from Canada for me. Holy smokes (literaly)!!! I have got to get my hands on a more of these!!! Smooth, rich, flavourful, might be time to load up the wallet, and go for a road trip. The only problem I had is no cigar sized roach clip for the damn thing.

It's a good smoke and not as hard on the pocket as some of the "others". Congrats!

Billy

you're in trouble now :)

Seriously though, once you go Cuban there is no going back... unless you are in denial or have dead taste buds :D :D

you're in trouble now :)

Seriously though, once you go Cuban there is no going back... unless you are in denial or have dead taste buds :D :D

Say it ain't so! Thanks for the tip, I'll trash the NC to make room. :laugh:

I'm not partial to Monte #4s at all... must be the denial thing :sign:

I've only had the Monte #2, have a #4 in the humi. But the best tasting ISOM for me thus far has been the BBF. We'll see how the #4 does in the near future :)

...see, I'm going to respectfully disagree here. Are there good Cuban cigars...? Well, hell yes....but there are LOUSY ones, too. I really enjoy most Boli's, SLR's, PLPC's, CoRo's, RASS, etc. but I also like Anejos, PAM64's, Opies, etc. There are lots of great cigars that are not from the "forbidden island". Keep your tastes and opinions open and enjoy the wonderful variety that's out there.

One word on a road trip - last time I was in Canada, the guy at the smoke shop (where I was picking up my ISOMs) told me that "....if customs catches you coming back to the US with five or more Cuban cigars, they can confiscate your car....". I don't know if it was bull s#!t or not but it's food for thought..... :cool:

Regards - B.B.S.

...see, I'm going to respectfully disagree here. Are there good Cuban cigars...? Well, hell yes....but there are LOUSY ones, too. I really enjoy most Boli's, SLR's, PLPC's, CoRo's, RASS, etc. but I also like Anejos, PAM64's, Opies, etc. There are lots of great cigars that are not from the "forbidden island". Keep your tastes and opinions open and enjoy the wonderful variety that's out there.

Regards - B.B.S.
I'm with you and Moki on this one, Tom. I like Italian food, Thai food, Japanese food, Moroccan food, etc. I'd never want to eat only one cuisine for the rest of my life. Neither do I find all my cigar desires satisfied by Havana cigars.

Wilkey

Listen to what BBS said! I agree that the Monte No. 4 is a fantastic smoke, surely one of my favorites, however there are also many great smokes that you can get legally and with much less hassle. Keep an open mind and be sure to find some Non Cuban smokes that you enjoy as well. There are lots out there, you'll be surprised!

I will have to agree to the previous two replies. I enjoy many different smokes. It all depends on how I feel at the time as to what I smoke. I usually open the humi with a certain stick in mind and as I am diggin around I come across something else I want to smoke also. Somtimes I will smoke 2-3 cubans and nothing else or 2-3 non cubans. So don't limit yourself.

Too many folks talk about Cuban cigars as though they are a brand unto themselves. Like it has been said here probably over and over some are great and some suck, and it's up to the individual as to which ones suck and which are great...just like cigars from the DR or Honduras or some Amishman's backyard. I remember my glee as I lit my first Cohiba...and I remember the subsequent disapointment when I realized that not only didn't I like it, but it was turning me green. Cuban vertigo isn't fun, especially when you don't care for the flavor of the cigar that sent you to that lowly place.

I like Monte 4's, they aren't the be all end all, but they are nice and easy on the wallet.

Cuban cigars do have a different flavor profile, just like Hondurans do and Dominicans also. It's all about what you like. Don't spend alot of gas and time just to empty your wallet in some Canadian shop just to say you have Cubans. They aren't any "better", in fact when you consider construction they are often times worse. They are just different and forbidden to many of us, and I wonder how popular they will be once they are legal.

Although they are considered a classic, i didn't care for the Monte #4, possibly because a fiver came back from India, in someones luggage. They were dried out.(likely storage in India issues). After that bad experience, I sticked with the Monte #2 and really enjoy them. :thumbs:

Monte #4 are great to me mainly because it packs so much flavor in such a small size. Easier to hold, easy on my jaw, and the small size forces me to unconsciously take my time with the smoke (around maybe an hour and a half to finish one to the nub) so I enjoy them more.

I keep quite a few of these in my humi because they are usually a good smoke. The mareva vitola is primarily the size used to train new torcederos and there are so many made that you get some good ones and you get some not so good ones.

Like many have said in this thread, don't stick with just one brand. I have had a few ISOMs that I do not care for. You want to try a great, legal in the US, smoke - go Tatuaje Noella. Hell just about anything Tatuaje. To me the Noella is much better than the MC#4 and you won't run the risk of losing your car a the border.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh,I remember my first Cuban,Siglo 1,a little over a year ago.Now,thanks to a few choice members of this forum I have quite the cigar collection that consist of both Cubans and domestics.Enjoy brother,you are in a good place here.

Ditto on what B.B.S. said. To everything there is a time and a season. :)

Too many folks talk about Cuban cigars as though they are a brand unto themselves. Like it has been said here probably over and over some are great and some suck, and it's up to the individual as to which ones suck and which are great...just like cigars from the DR or Honduras or some Amishman's backyard. I remember my glee as I lit my first Cohiba...and I remember the subsequent disapointment when I realized that not only didn't I like it, but it was turning me green. Cuban vertigo isn't fun, especially when you don't care for the flavor of the cigar that sent you to that lowly place.

I like Monte 4's, they aren't the be all end all, but they are nice and easy on the wallet.

Cuban cigars do have a different flavor profile, just like Hondurans do and Dominicans also. It's all about what you like. Don't spend alot of gas and time just to empty your wallet in some Canadian shop just to say you have Cubans. They aren't any "better", in fact when you consider construction they are often times worse. They are just different and forbidden to many of us, and I wonder how popular they will be once they are legal.

FlyFish said FORBIDDEN!!!!!! Koolaid for everyone!!! :)

But seriously... well said, Scott.

cigar-sized roach clip? ???

you sure you weren't smoking a blunt?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Its been a few years since I needed a regular roach clip. I did smoke that bad boy right down to the point where my fingers were getting a little hot.

You sure that Cohiba was real? For me, Cohibas are some of the most well balanced sticks on the planet. I've never had a Cuban turn me green... only ever really happened to me with some very unbalanced NCs

Is anyone really buying Cubans in Canada, I doubt it, Why pay $25 for a cigar you get online for $5.

My problem with the majority of good NCs is the opportunity cost. Most of the good ones cost $10 plus when I can get one of my favorite Cubans for $5... it doesn't make sense for me to spend double the money for something inferior... that said, there are some great NCs that are very satisfying to me and offer great value; such as the Padron regular series.

What's crazy to me is when I see a holiday Fuente 4 pk for $150... that to me is both funny and saddening at the same time.