• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

My first gifted ones...

Booboo12

Received a wonderful gift last weekend. 2 boxes of Hoyo de Monterrey Double Coronas.
Made in Havana Cuba on the box.
Seals are AO887356 and AO887357
with a sticker of ES 388351 and ES 388350
I don't have a blacklight to inspect the stickers.
Both are EEU May 07

Both boxes are still sealed, and since I don't have room in the humidor to store them, I'm hesitant to open them yet to inspect the cigars...

Was hoping someone here could offer some advice on how to tell if these are real or not.

pictures :

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

If they were gifted they are probably fake. HDM DC are expensive cigars. getting 1 box as a gift is a very nice gesture. getting 2 well makes you wonder.
Faker than a 3 dollar bill. Sorry..
gallery_1349_634_191.gif

The only ways to truly tell if a cigar is fake is to smoke it. And to know your source.

Smoke them and enjoy your gift! After all they were free.

Sorry but I believe they are fake. I would go through the grocery list of why they are fakes but I dont have the time now.

Bob

The box code is a dead give-a-way that they are fake. Go ahead and smoke one and see what you think, they might be pretty good.

Edited: The fact that they are sealed in plastic is another give-a-way.

The box code is a dead give-a-way that they are fake. Go ahead and smoke one and see what you think, they might be pretty good.

Edited: The fact that they are sealed in plastic is another give-a-way.

Exactly right Mike on your observations. The halogram would also indicate that these boxes if were real were purchased in Cuba. The fact that Cuba does not cellophane their boxes is a clear indication that the halogam is fake as well.
Lets for arguments sake say they were purchased in Cuba. If that were the the case then the boxes also would not have the circular stamps on them too.

Bob

appreciate the responses...
they were gifted from a family member who wouldn't hesitate to spend some $$$ on good stuff even as a gift. so I know no deception was intended...I just want to make sure the giftor doesn't get taken again from where he got these...

sorry to hear that these aren't the originals...
still - I'm hoping they smoke well and weren't made with an extra coat of lead paint...

Received a wonderful gift last weekend. 2 boxes of Hoyo de Monterrey Double Coronas.
Made in Havana Cuba on the box.
Seals are AO887356 and AO887357
with a sticker of ES 388351 and ES 388350
I don't have a blacklight to inspect the stickers.
Both are EEU May 07

Both boxes are still sealed, and since I don't have room in the humidor to store them, I'm hesitant to open them yet to inspect the cigars...

Not a commonly faked cigar, but if you bought them from the "parallel market", they might not be as advertised.

- Seals ES 388351 and ES 388350 -it's almost impossible to buy boxes that have consecutive serial numbers. Not impossible but highly unlikely. Add to that consecutively numbered holograms??? Hard to swallow.
The ES series is from the fall/winter of 2003, NOT 2007. May 2007 should be in the ID or IE range.

- wrapping - shrink wrapped Habanos? I think not. Unless they were made in Panama.

I would open and inspect and taste. If you are lucky, you will have some fine Habanos that you can re-wrap if required for storage. If you are unlucky, you will find some fine Honduran cigars with Cuban labels.

Commander Bob
Not a big Honduran fan.

Well done, guys. Each post further proved they were counterfeit. I learned from this thread.

I will throw my 2 cents in here and please correct me if I am wrong, but the font used for "EEU May 07" seems odd.

too bad hopefully they are still Cuban tobacco but you never know until you smoke one I was gifted one of those (older though) and man if I had 2 boxes. The best you can hope for is a Cuban torcedor did this with Cuban tobaco he got for his personal use but i really hope they are not some Hondurans either. X2 for BLEAH on Honduran cigars

Just curious here, but would the shrink wrapping depend upon the source? They've obviously been opened for inspection. Will some sources (I know...) then shrink wrap the boxes before they are sent out? Or will you just never see that... ever... :)

Thanks.

---John Holmes...

Hey John

Shrink wrap or cellophane is not used by Habanos SA on the outside of boxes. If you are asking whether a vendor could shrink wrap boxes after they have recieved them from an official authorized distributor (or supplier)the answer yes. Have I seen a vendor do this no. That doesn't mean that there is absolutly no one out there that does this. It is just another clue(amongst many) helping to determine the authenticity of the cigars in question.

Bob

Back