• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

My First Opus

gixxer

*Disclaimer - This is my first review as well as my first expensive smoke. This is very new to me as I just picked up this hobby a couple months ago. Any critiquing would be appreciated :p

Opus X Perfecxion No.5 (I believe):
After a couple rough weeks of work and a hectic schedule, I finally found time to sit down and truly enjoy my first bomb. Heres some of the details (which I'm sure most of you know by heart):
Wrapper: Dominican
Filler: Dominican
Binder: Dominican
Ring Size: 40
Length: 4.875"
Strength: Full
PICT0001.jpg

Initially I was extremely impressed with the band. This thing is a work of hard, definitely something I'll hold on to. The cigar was nice and firm everywhere, no soft spots. There was a slight amount of oil and it smelled unlike any other cigar.
PICT0006.jpg

PICT0007.jpg

The first few puffs were almost overwhelming with flavor. There was a definite peppery taste which left a tingling sensation on both my lips and my tongue. The Opus produced a TON of thick smoke, which is defiantly a favorite attribute for me. The draw was very smooth.
DSC01157.jpg

DSC01161.jpg

Unfortunately my lighting skills are not quite up to par. My light was not so even and the cigar didn't do the work of evening itself out. The ash was tight and white as snow.
DSC01163.jpg

About an about an inch into the cigar the flavors really started to mellow out. There was just a slight bit of that peppery spicy taste. This then faded into a smooth blend of coffee and cocoa flavors. This was the best taste I have ever had in a cigar. It was perfectly balanced and remained consistent through the rest of the smoke. I'd also like to add that the cigar began to hit me pretty hard at this point, something I've never experienced before.
DSC01164.jpg

DSC01165.jpg

Unfortunately my cheapo camera ran out of space at this point and I didn't want to risk my dslr in the smoke.

PICT0008.jpg

This cigar was spectacular. All the hype was true, but I'm glad it wasn't my first smoke. I would NOT recommend it after breakfast like I did. Without a good meal in, this thing will knock you on your ass. Regardless, I really enjoyed this smoke and can't wait to enjoy the next one.

I'd also like to thank Jonathan for hooking me up with two of these bad boys. Without him it probably would've been months before I manned up enough to try one on my own. Thanks.

Greg

Absolutely! This can sneak up on you, despite it's small size. This was my first Opus X also, and remains a favourite due to the high wrapper to filler ratio.

I can't believe you had it after breakfast! You have some courage mate, that is for certain.

Nice review by the way, and good pictures.

Nice review and not bad pics for a "cheapo" camera.

Your taste buds will change over the next 2 to 3 years. Keep your notes and re-visit that smoke in 2 years time, you will be surprised.

Brian

Nice job Gix.

I like to lay my Opus out for a few hours before I smoke it. With all the oil in this cigar, they make for a tough burn when they are humidified fully. I'll let mine dry a little and it always improves the burn.

Very nice review! Definitely some decent pictures from the cheapo camera, what kind is it?

Greg, congrats on your first Opus and thanks for the review.

Don't feel bad about making the mistake of smoking it after breakfast. I smoked my first Opus, a Reserva D'Chateau (7 x 48) after a very light sushi dinner. About a third of the way into the cigar I almost threw up! Not an error I'll make ever again... :laugh:

Barry

Very happy to see you reviewed it Gixxer!!

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Like Brian said, revisit these notes in a couple years, and see how much your pallette has improved/changed with experience!!

Nice job Gix.

I like to lay my Opus out for a few hours before I smoke it. With all the oil in this cigar, they make for a tough burn when they are humidified fully. I'll let mine dry a little and it always improves the burn.

X2..., the last Opus I smoked burned horribly, even kept at 65% humidity. That makes sense about the oils... next time I'll try to drybox it a day!

I also made the mistake of smoking a Opus in the a.m. it rocked my world for a few hours. :blush:

Best Regards
Don

I smoked my first Opus (fuente fuente) on an empty belly following a 1926 #9 (friggin moki lol). Needless to say I didn't finish it. I felt like a pile for setting down such a nice/exspensice stick but I was feeling pretty woozy and didn't want to embarrass myself or blow chunks in front of people I just met/didn't know at the fine private club he invited me to.

Have had a couple since then but never on an empty stomach!!! Matter of fact I think I will burn the last one in my box (fat daady xXx) tomorrow afternoon after lunch (in case I need a nappy afterwards). Yep... thats the plan Stan!

Edit: Change of plans... Got doctor appointments tomorrow and might drive to rochester so I am burning it now! :)

I smoked my first (and only, thus far) Opus when rather hungover. I wanted to smoke it at a meaningful time, so I set it aside to fire up when we arrived at the campsite for an annual camping trip back in June. I made sure to eat plenty beforehand, but in retrospect, it was pretty poor planning on my part to smoke it when I did. I didn't get sick or anything, but I certainly wasn't in the optimal condition. It could have been anything for all I could tell. I've got a few still waiting for me that I'll be a little more judicious with.

Nice review. I too have to be careful when smoke a full body smoke like an Opus.