• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

my first Rocky Patel

Holy thread resurrection, Batman!

:cool:

Yes, but I applaud use of search. I have not had one of the Cameroon wrappers but some of the Patel stuff I've had recently is smoking pretty good, and its not that pricey.

First of all, never been a RP fan, Decade was ok but I never bought more than one. However, I must say the Hamlet Tabaquero is a nice smoke, robust, spice, maybe even a little bold. This puppy got me for a box and I'm ready for another. At least try one.

Funny thing is Rocky doesn't make this, made by Hamlet Paredes for RP. Seems like RP somehow got him out of Cuba.

I don't smoke many anymore. The 1990 was the first cigar I ever tried. I did enjoy the edge and the decade. Also give Torano 50 years a try if you like rocky.

Interesting, I intially thought RP was sacrosanct as I entered the cigar world, but as I read the comments and much more research. I've come to understand that people have bristled towards "the RP lifestyle" and the decline in the quality of his numerous cigar lines. Wow, the stuff you learn.

Last I had was a Cameroon wrapped vintage 2003 toro. Somewhere like 3 years ago. Was a rather enjoyable smoke I have to admit.

My experience with RP cigars, back when I enjoyed some of them, was that some were pretty tasty upon release, and then I'd start getting duds, as if someone sucked all the flavor out of them. Then he'd come out with another, and another, and another. I just gave up on everything RP.

My experience with RP was that their Original releases were pretty good. Subsequental releases on the other hand didn't seem to maintain the same intensity of flavors. Has been over 7 years since I tried one though.

Interesting, I intially thought RP was sacrosanct as I entered the cigar world, but as I read the comments and much more research. I've come to understand that people have bristled towards "the RP lifestyle" and the decline in the quality of his numerous cigar lines. Wow, the stuff you learn.

That was my experience with Gurkhas when I first started smoking. After all how could the world's most expensive cigar and all that "cool" packaging not be some thing premium. Smoke enough good cigars and over time one figures stuff out. And certainly this board helps accelerate the learning process with its emphasis on premium cigars. I'm surprised the group's tag line isn't "life's to short to waste on a cheap cigar".

My first box purchase was RP's Vintage 1992. Actually my first two box purchases; I split the second one with a friend. And I have to say, I deeply regret not buying a 100 count box of the Edge Sumatra FIRST release. It went to shit immediately after that, but that first one . . . man! And the OWR . . . y'know, I had two pre-release of those that were amazing, smoked them with a good friend and we were both just blown away, and then the actual release was a bit underwhelming, although I do have to say that the OWR maduro torp, the short one, at blow out clearance prices was a nice smoke at a great price point.

Like so many others that have come and gone---Don Lino Africa was amazing for awhile and then WTF? for example---I just can't bring myself to even try any of RP's stuff. Nowadays I'm all San Cristobal, Ashton, Tatuaje, Illusione, and whatever Pepin's doing.

~Boar

Smoked my first RP (called an "ICE") a few days ago, no complaints. 20160423_194250.jpg

ICE? Using the old Bud Ice label as inspiration? Sweet Jesus, Rocky is really scraping the bottom of the barrel.

I looked it up and couldn't find any info on it, so decided if I survived, I'd try another better known and more est line. But, it was passable, so I'll go through the evolution of love and hate I seen so many mention re RP.

I looked it up and couldn't find any info on it, so decided if I survived, I'd try another better known and more est line. But, it was passable, so I'll go through the evolution of love and hate I seen so many mention re RP.

Had to be better than some of that other crap you were smoking, just had to be.:D

Had to be better than some of that other crap you were smoking, just had to be.:D

Ha!

You can find info if you look it up. Appears they are a shop exclusive release and are a sibling blend to the RP Fire. Something about cigars with gaudy bands turns me off. I cant even bring myself to try the new Camacho blends. I could be missing out but the bands kill it for me.

Rocky Patel is the Pizza Hut of cigar lines......always has to be something new or some gimmick in order to sell. If you make quality cigars, they sell without the gimmick....and pizza, in this case.

Rocky Patel is the Pizza Hut of cigar lines......always has to be something new or some gimmick in order to sell. If you make quality cigars, they sell without the gimmick....and pizza, in this case.
Don't be knocking Pizza Hut thin crust with everything on it...that $hit is good.