• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

My first scotch purchase

drunkfish3

Angry Fish
Reaction score
cigars013.jpg

cigars014.jpg

cigars015.jpg

i can't wait to try the Gold and Blue

Should have skipped the Red Label and stuck the Green Label in there instead. Now that would be excellent.

Oh wow nice and Beautiful Johnnie walker. Is my all time fav. scotch. I really really enjoy the gold label because it is not as pricey as the blue label, but almost just as good IMO. Question on Blue label, some people been asking me to describe the blue label for them because I have had the opportunity to drink a bottle in the past, while others have not. I always tell them, the main thing that makes the blue label stand out is the taste of the whiskey with out the kick at the back of the mouth, while still having a smoothing burning as it goes down. Anyone else think that be the best way to describe the blue?

Should have skipped the Red Label and stuck the Green Label in there instead. Now that would be excellent.

There are versions with precisely that.

i know that is what i wanted but could not find so i settled on this one. I only wanted the gold and blue in this set i have bottle of the other already but this set was the same price as buying a small bottle of blue and gold.

Ray may be able to confirm this, but I don't think the version with the Green instead of the Red is available in the US. All I have ever seen here is the set that is pictured, and all I have ever seen in other countries is the version with the Green.

I think in general you are right but I thought I got a Green Label version at duty free. Been too long to be sure, You can find them on ebay pretty regularly though. There was also a 5 bottle set with both the Red and Green but I haven't seen that for some time.

Wow, did they release that again this year? I always look for it at Yule and haven't seen one in my area for a couple years now.

I actually like the Gold Label much better than the Blue. Someday I'm going to have to pull the trigger on a fullsize bottle!

~Boar

Wow, did they release that again this year? I always look for it at Yule and haven't seen one in my area for a couple years now.

I actually like the Gold Label much better than the Blue. Someday I'm going to have to pull the trigger on a fullsize bottle!

~Boar

A soon as i try the gold i am going to buy a bottle if i like it one store by me has the 1 lt of gold for 70 dollars seemed like a good price.

Out of the Black, Green, Gold & Blue I always though the Gold on the bottom of the 4. It just doesn't do it for me especially if you drink it cold like JW says. Who the F came up with that silly idea?

Out of the Black, Green, Gold & Blue I always though the Gold on the bottom of the 4. It just doesn't do it for me especially if you drink it cold like JW says. Who the F came up with that silly idea?

That's why they call it "taste."

Your palate's a whole lot more sophisticated/educated than mine, of course, but my initial impressions, based on the sampled sampler samples :rolleyes: was that the Blue was just a little too smooth. Not enough smoke and bite for me; reminded me a bit too much of Glenlivet.

I found the Gold "warmer" with lots of toffee notes, and liked that about it.

~Boar

Oh wow nice and Beautiful Johnnie walker. Is my all time fav. scotch. I really really enjoy the gold label because it is not as pricey as the blue label, but almost just as good IMO. Question on Blue label, some people been asking me to describe the blue label for them because I have had the opportunity to drink a bottle in the past, while others have not. I always tell them, the main thing that makes the blue label stand out is the taste of the whiskey with out the kick at the back of the mouth, while still having a smoothing burning as it goes down. Anyone else think that be the best way to describe the blue?

I absolutely agree about the description of blue. I was lucky enough to get a bottle as a wedding gift (as you could imagine, my wife was thrilled to open a gift with this and a box of Padron 64s). I always drink a little Dewars or another cheaper scotch as a primer and the one difference that stands out is although the taste is there in your mouth there isn't the usual alcohol bite as it goes down.

Sorry for resurrecting a relatively dead thread, but I had to get my first real post somehow :)

love JW blue and gold!

i was excited when they released those 4 packs. gave you the chance of grabbing some blue without paying for the big bottle.

i mentioned to the liquor store owner to bug the folks at JW into including the green as well. so they are all in there! yumm

Did you try it ice cold like JW says?

I found the Gold "warmer" with lots of toffee notes, and liked that about it.

~Boar

It was a small bottle---I got the sampler pack too---but I tried it neat, with a bit of spring water, and on the rocks. Loved it all three ways. Not sure how my taste has matured since then, as it's been a few years, but I remember really, REALLY liking it. The Blue was wonderful stuff, but it just seemed to lack both the smoke and the bite I enjoy in a good Scotch.

~Boar

I went to a scotch tasting sponsored by JW last year in Tucson, AZ. The rep handed out each of the blends and paired them with food. He served the gold chilled and gave us each a Hershey's kiss. He instructed us to let the kiss melt in our mouths and had us take a drink of the Gold Label. It wasn't bad at all, very good taste combination IMO. I'm not one to find tastes in foods or cigars but I did find a taste of vanilla when both were combined.