• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

My friend is making me a humidor.....

Lumberg

Opus Lover
First of all I'm going for a glass top because I like to check on my beauties and the humidity without opening the box.

I was thinking something about 18-24 wide, about 12 deep, and about 10" high.

SO the footprint on the table would 24x12, and it would be 10" high. Don't want people to confuse high with deep.

Tthe reason I am picking 12" deep is so that the longest cigars like presidentes will fit front to back. I will specify it to be at least 9" interior depth.

The width is just for the hell of it. I was going to order two dividers but what the hell, he works in a shop and gets the cedar for free so I might specify 5 or even 6 dividers.

Then the thing I am thinking is to have a lift out tray that sits on top. Kinda like how a toolbox has a tray that sits in top with a bar across it. The tray would have to have some slots/holes in it for air circulation. UNLESS, and this is a little idea I have been toying with, I decide to go with a two-level humidification system. 70% in the bottom chamber for long-term storage, and 65% for the ones on top (in the tray) which are for near-term smoking. Now THAT would be cool and he says it would be no problem to make the two compartments distinct.

The thing is I think 65% works very well for long term storage as well as near term storage so I think I am going to go with my original plan. Plus it is cheaper to just have one set of beads, one hygrometer, etc.

I think he is going to make the entire thing out of Spanish cedar, though the exterior may be mahogany. He works in a fine cabinetmaking shop where they make large pieces and he already knows exactly what scraps he could use.

Guys I am telling you this guy is such a great guy, he wants to do it because he is constantly trying to get better and he sees this as a good short-term project to help grow his skills. I would vouch for this guy any day and I told him I could give him great references and he could go into humidor making, but he wants to keep diverse and try lots of different projects.

If he ever changes his mind I will let you guys know. And you wouldn't be sorry. This guy is a whiz with his tools.

Ok I got off topic a little bit but what do you think of my idea? Any further ideas to explore? This is a chance to get a 100% custom humidor made for literally a pittance. He will charge me cost for any pieces he needs to get like hinges, and zero labor. Wow it is just hitting me now how awesome this is!!!!

Sorry if I am gloating. But if you guys have any ideas throw em on here!

heck ya! that is great deal for you! sounds like a good plan. the only thing i would add if i was making someting that big, is a small place for cutters, liters, and other stuff of the sort.

a built in place to put climax beads would be cool as well. i put my climax beads in a knee high panyhose then lay it in with the cigars. works ok, but if there was a pocket or something to put it in, would be more classy.

good luck with it, and be sure to post a few picts!

Make sure he knows not to use aromatic cedar. Spanish cedar is the one. ;)

Yep and the seal is very important...... :D

see if you can get him to make me a boomerang.

i've always wanted a wooden boomerang.

Leebo8-9-8 said:
Yep and the seal is very important...... :D
Yeah I kept stressing that and he kept saying "Don't worry, I know a trick for that." I guess there's a woodworking trick to it. He's seen enough humidors in his life to know what he's doing.

So the suggestions are:

Built-in place for the climaxx beads/humidification media

DON'T use aromatic cedar!

Got it!

Thanks guys

i have built two humi's now. both are boxes made out of plywood, sealed with plastic inside ( like varathane ). both units are 17 inches wide, 14 deep and 24 tall. these dimensions were dictated by the spot in the closet where they are. the plywood is surrounded by 1 inch foam house insulation. so they have a very stable temp. after the plastic completely ( yes,, completely ) dried. i then installed spanish cedar lining. for one i bought the cedar online from the lumberlady website. it was about 50 bucks for the one unit. the other i disassembled a whole lot of cigar boxes, and used them for a liner. then shelves. i use a homemade humidifier made from wet floral green stuff ( i forgot what its called) with a 50/50 mix of distilled water and propelyne glycol. it works good. each unit will hold about 10 or 12 boxes. all in all far more than i can ever afford to buy so they will probably never be full

fgruben said:
wet floral green stuff ( i forgot what its called)
oasis. and good job! I saw on arlen's site that he is making a big numi that is insulated. neat.

Well,

I've got so many cigars, I'm trying to figure out how to do a built in unit in a wall in my house or convert a closet. Emo gave me some great ideas on a closet conversion.

Maybe this winter's project :)

coventrycat86 said:
Well,

I've got so many cigars, I'm trying to figure out how to do a built in unit in a wall in m house or convert a closet. Emo gave me some great ideas on a closet conversion.

Maybe this winter's project :)
The house we're buying has a shelf area cut into the wall of the den. I'm seriously thinking about building a 'fishtank' out of some glass pieces (to make it airtight) and making that into an 'in-the-wall' humidor.

Just got to talk the wife into it. :)

FWIW the I like a good seal,

:D but won't pass up a 'good looking porpose' :p sorry if I can't spell...getting too old...

ArlinLiss said:
FWIW the I like a good seal,

:D but won't pass up a 'good looking porpose' :p sorry if I can't spell...getting too old...
Hey Arlin---

just in case you were considering going into comedy:

keep you day job!!!

:D

You are the Jerry Seinfeld of Humidor Makers

just wanted to bring some smiles into what is supposed to be a FUN activity. I love what i do but i LOVE laughter and smiles much more!

It pays to have a good sense of HUMidOR.

I know that was a bad one! ;)

the tray is a great touch.
I like the extra way to organize my cigars.

you can then set aside some for the next week to smoke, and leave the rest below for later.

:thumbs: