• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

My Humidor just arrived - Have some questions

Roccy

I apologize for registering and just bombarding with a thread right away but I'm in a bit of a pickle.

The instructions it came with are very generic and I have some questions. Here are two pictures of the unit from the auction webpage:

6147_1_bol.JPG

60df_1_bol.JPG

1. It came unassambled (the hydrometer and humidifier are un-attached) where am I supposed to put the humidifier inside the unit? Does it matter if the humidifier is upside down IE attached to the glass or will the water leak out onto my cigars (just trying to maximize the amount of space)

2. Both the hydrometer and humidifier have magnets on the bottom, what is the purpose of this? I can see the humidifier so you can take it out but as you see the hydrometer seems to get mounted in the hole in the front so I don't fully understand there. I am in the process of doing the "salt test" to calibrate my hydrometer at the moment and the magnet is still on the bottom while it's in the plastic bag with the salt and water, should I remove the magnet ? Is it disrupting the reading or can I just leave it on?

3. The guy did not include the solution he was supposed to which from what I understand is propene glycol / distilled water - I have found some distilled water in town but checked every store and nobody has the glycol. Is it ok to just use distilled water alone in the humidifier?

Any responses are greatly appreciated as I really really don't want to botch this and ruin my cigars, at the same time I have to get them in there before they dry out - They are in a ziplock bag at the moment.

I apologize for registering and just bombarding with a thread right away but I'm in a bit of a pickle.

The instructions it came with are very generic and I have some questions. Here are two pictures of the unit from the auction webpage:

6147_1_bol.JPG

60df_1_bol.JPG

1. It came unassambled (the hydrometer and humidifier are un-attached) where am I supposed to put the humidifier inside the unit? YES Does it matter if the humidifier is upside down IE attached to the glass or will the water leak out onto my cigars (just trying to maximize the amount of space) Depends on the device!

2. Both the hydrometer and humidifier have magnets on the bottom, what is the purpose of this? To hold them in place. I can see the humidifier so you can take it out but as you see the hydrometer seems to get mounted in the hole in the front so I don't fully understand there. I am in the process of doing the "salt test" to calibrate my hydrometer at the moment and the magnet is still on the bottom while it's in the plastic bag with the salt and water, should I remove the magnet ? Nah Is it disrupting the reading or can I just leave it on? Your choice.

3. The guy did not include the solution he was supposed to which from what I understand is propene glycol / distilled water - I have found some distilled water in town but checked every store and nobody has the glycol. Is it ok to just use distilled water alone in the humidifier? Sure.

Any responses are greatly appreciated as I really really don't want to botch this and ruin my cigars, at the same time I have to get them in there before they dry out - They are in a ziplock bag at the moment.

Now....go and search the forum and you can verify these answers!
Search is your friend.

Also - what does hte vendor who sold you this say about your questions?

Well I'm a fellow newbie, but let me give a shot here...

First off, it's a hygrometer, which measure humidity.

1. It came unassambled (the hydrometer and humidifier are un-attached) where am I supposed to put the humidifier inside the unit? Does it matter if the humidifier is upside down IE attached to the glass or will the water leak out onto my cigars (just trying to maximize the amount of space)

The humidifier is fine just on the bottom inside the humidor.

If the humidification unit is one of those sponge things (it looks like it), you should be able to have it upside-down. Water should not drip from the unit; you should wipe it clean after preparing it with distilled water and make sure it's not drenched. If I'm wrong here, someone correct me.

2. Both the hydrometer and humidifier have magnets on the bottom, what is the purpose of this? I can see the humidifier so you can take it out but as you see the hydrometer seems to get mounted in the hole in the front so I don't fully understand there. I am in the process of doing the "salt test" to calibrate my hydrometer at the moment and the magnet is still on the bottom while it's in the plastic bag with the salt and water, should I remove the magnet ? Is it disrupting the reading or can I just leave it on?

Magnets are generally used to affix the hygrometer and the humidifcation device to the cover, but since you have a glass cover, this isn't very practical (and since you have a place on the exterior for the hygrometer, it's pretty useless). Also consider upgrading to a digital hygrometer as analog ones seem to be far less accurate.

3. The guy did not include the solution he was supposed to which from what I understand is propene glycol / distilled water - I have found some distilled water in town but checked every store and nobody has the glycol. Is it ok to just use distilled water alone in the humidifier?

Distilled water alone is fine for a basic humidifcation device as you have there.

Definitely wait on another opinion from an experienced poster to double-check what I've said; I've answered these questions to the best of my current ability.

:)

First you should let us know more about you by filling out your profile, then you should check out the rules page and post a introduction.

Second you will need to go out and buy a bigger one. :D

Basically put them where they fit best. Does not matter if its upside down, UNLESS you over fill it.. Not good. Soak it 3/4 of the way and wipe off the excess. Let it soak in, but don't drown it.

The magnets are so you can pull them off easily to check them. Good question on the calibrating.. Don't know.

Distilled water is more than fin, DON'T use tap water. Do a search for Heartfelt beads. Your best bet.

Try a tupperware container, wet a sponge with distilled and they will be fine there.

Thanks for the fast replies and apologies again for not searching but I was in a mad panic.

I just ordered one of those small bead humidifiers you recommended. Thanks for the advice.

Filling out my profile now, based on the fast responses and for not entirely biting my head off for posting stupidly this is definitely a community I wish to be a part of.

Get yourself a digital hygrometer from Walmart for $6, and order some beads online. The analog hygrometer won't be accurate, so it's basically for decoration. If the humidifier comes apart, remove the green floral foam inside and replace with beads. If not, take it out and throw it in a drawer somewhere. Put some beads in a some small dishes or shot glasses and let them take care of the humidity.

You will find lots of sources for the beads. All a matter of how much you want to spend. I have used the cheap ones and the expensive ones with the same results.

Here are a couple of links:

http://cgi.ebay.com/70-Humidor-Beads-Cigar...%3A1%7C294%3A50

or

http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/product...+Humidity+Beads

Get yourself a digital hygrometer from Walmart for $6, and order some beads online. The analog hygrometer won't be accurate, so it's basically for decoration.

Wally hygros are just as inaccurate usually. I have 2 and they sit out in the garage for decoration. Just spend the 20 bucks and get a real hygro and be done with it. If you end up using heartfelt 65 beads, you may not even need a hygro if you want to save $.

Get yourself a digital hygrometer from Walmart for $6, and order some beads online. The analog hygrometer won't be accurate, so it's basically for decoration.

Wally hygros are just as inaccurate usually. I have 2 and they sit out in the garage for decoration. Just spend the 20 bucks and get a real hygro and be done with it. If you end up using heartfelt 65 beads, you may not even need a hygro if you want to save $.

I have had good luck with the Wally hygros. I have 4 of them. 3 of them are within 1%, the worst I have reads 72 - 73% when salt tested. If I can get that close for $6, sign me up!

Another nice thing about the Wally ones, if I get one that is too far off the mark, I just take it back and exchange it.

Now if only they would start selling humidors! LOL...... oh, yeah...... check the cooler section right!

Back