• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

My mom's friend got me a book.

Connor

It is a book titled "Perelman's Pocket Cyclopedia of Cigars. 1996 edition." In the beginning of the book it has basics about cigars and stuff, then it lists various brands and cigars, what the wrapper/filler/etc. is, whether it is a full bodied smoke, mild, etc. Pretty much it tells you about all sorts of cigars and cigar brands and how the cigar is constructed/how it smokes/etc.

is the cover maduro or natural?

Might want to store that one at about 62-65%.

Sorry, the best I could come up with.

I don't get you people. I really don't. A fellow cigar smoker tries to save you time and money and you do nothing but post smart-ass replies. All the time you fools have invested in cigar shops, smoking cigars and talking to people about cigars has been foolishly squandered. All the money you have invested in cigars, proper humidification devices and accessories, you just as well could've flushed down the toilet. The entire cigar experience has been condensed into a book format that anyone can experience at a fraction of the price that you bitter, smart-alecky people have wrapped up in your needless passion. And all this poor guy does is try to let you in on it and you flame him. I think I'll take what I am sure to learn from this book and maybe one other that I may read in the future and start my own cigar blog and leave you bitter fools to your selves.

Nice find. BUT...

I know they made the first edition in 1995 and the second edition in 1997...then 1998, 1999...etc. up to the current edition.

I never heard of a 1996 edition...what is the provenance of your Mom's friend's source for that book? I hate to mention this, but...your book could be a 'counterfeit'!!

The first item to look for in trying to prove it's authenticity is...does it have a 'triple binding'? The next step would be to put the copyright page under a black light to see if it has the hidden Cuban seal on it. The third and final step would be to just read a few pages, at least a 1/3 of the way into it...does it 'read' like a Cuban book?...does it have that 'Cubanesce' flair to it?

Even if none of the above points are proven, all that really matters is that YOU enjoyed it!

Good luck...

I was wondering about the motives.

Is the friend not getting what she "needs" out of life?

Is this the first present? If so, try to hold out for something a little more substantial. If not, still try to hold out for something more substantial.

I can’t tell you how many times this has happened, my only regret, giving it up to easy.

Good luck, I think this is one of those lessons you have to learn on your own.

Connor,

To be honest with you many of us have copies of Pearlman's Guide. As has been pointed out this may not be the most current addition of the guide. But don't let that take away from the pleasure of this gift. Many of the topics covered are a great read. Keep in mind this isn't the most current addition so many new cigars have entered and for that matter left the market. Nevertheless it is still a good reference for many manufactures' line ups and some of the most tried and true cigars.

Enjoy your gift, may it lead you to others and your cigar reference library.

"The Honorable"
BenjieV

Unfortunately, it often turns out that they're not just "friends". You should seek this man...

joey-greco-host-of-cheaters.jpg

Very cool find Connor. I for one have not heard of the book and will have to search it out for my future man cave. Plus, it's just another resource that will hopefully aid you in sorting through the countless cigars that are out there.

ps. The comments are hilarious. Great way to start the day..

edit* punctuation.