• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

My new Kool Adore

SkyKing

After looking at desktop humidors for several days, I saw many I liked but couldn't settle on any one. Bought one a few weeks ago and maxed it out. Saw the articles on cooladors and started looking around. I saw this rustic 57 quart cooler on Amazon and knew it was the one I wanted.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B003LQQ4O6/ref=dp_image_z_0?ie=UTF8&n=2972638011&s=lawn-garden

Spent about 2 hours putting together my Rustic Kool-Adore. Handymen could do it in an hour. As per post in the cigar review section on the TTT Trinidad, I used 3 jars of humidifying crystals, added a digital hydrometer, and purchased 10 empty cigar boxes to store the smokes.

I may break down the boxes to line the humidor - or may just let it go as is.
I'll try adding some pics later.

That thing is great. Looks nice and holds plenty. May have to get my hands on one.

http://www.amazon.co...1&s=lawn-garden

I may break down the boxes to line the humidor - or may just let it go as is.
I'll try adding some pics later.

I uploaded some pics to the humidor gallery I believe. Don't know if this will work but here goes.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:9451]

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:9451]

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:9450]

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:9449]

That thing is great. Looks nice and holds plenty. May have to get my hands on one.

I got the 57 qt but an 87 qt version is available. Another plus is that the inside is finished with sheet metal, thus no plastic odors to contend with. Note the old fashioned bottle opener on the right front. Comes in handy when you want a stout with your stogie. In a few days, will let you know if it maintains a stable environment. Don't see why it shouldn't.

Nice looking piece. You could even put it in the family room without it looking funny.

Looking good there, how many boxes do you estimate you can stash (57 quarts = 1.9 cubic feet)?

How is the seal? I have one at home and they don't really have a seal on them. Anything you're doing for that?

How is the seal? I have one at home and they don't really have a seal on them. Anything you're doing for that?

Regard Deon's question. I have 10 boxes with room to spare.

Regard seal. I'm waiting a few days to see where the humidity numbers settle. If dry, I'll add a bead of sealer or weather stripping.

SkyKing, even better, she is bigger than what I thought! Good job, keep up the good work!

Regard seal. I'm waiting a few days to see where the humidity numbers settle. If dry, I'll add a bead of sealer or weather stripping.

Sweet looking piece!

After looking at your pics, don't mess around, put a nice rubber peel & stick seal on the lid to hold in the humidity. The way it is now, the drier your room becomes, the more humidity you will lose. Lining it with Spanish cedar will help too because it will absorb the moisture and get you over those dry spells. Rather than glue it in, use an auto grade double face tape (like they use to put trim on cars) and line the bottom, top, and sides.

Great find...good luck :thumbs:

Sweet looking piece!

After looking at your pics, don't mess around, put a nice rubber peel & stick seal on the lid to hold in the humidity. The way it is now, the drier your room becomes, the more humidity you will lose. Lining it with Spanish cedar will help too because it will absorb the moisture and get you over those dry spells. Rather than glue it in, use an auto grade double face tape (like they use to put trim on cars) and line the bottom, top, and sides.

Thanks for the advice. I left town for a couple of days and on return, found the humidity reading to be just 50%. I ran out to Lowes and picked some peel and stick weather stripping in a couple of different sizes and materials. Also, picked up a couple of packages of Velcro. I had ordered some empty cedar cigar boxes from Cigar International, so when I got back, I took a hammer and knocked them apart, stuck some velcro tape on them, and mostioned both side with distilled water using a clean wash cloth. Lined most of the top, sides, and bottom using the velcro tape. I installed a 3/8" tear drop shaped gasket, made of silicon weather stripping, in just a few minutes. Put back the jars of humidifying crystals, a couple of boxes of cigars, and left the damp cloth in the humidifier overnight. Check it this morning and the humidity reading was 74%. Removed the damp cloth and will check again tonight.

I line most but not all of the Kool-Adore with cedar. Covered maybe 80% of the interior but didn't bother cutting and fitting the uncovered areas. Didn't think it really necessary to line every square inch. Should be enough cedar to retain adequate moisture for the cigars.

Same with the lid seal. Didn't try to seal around the hing area, so it isn't airtight. My guess is that will be good enough to keep the environment within the desired specs. If not, my fallback plan was to use Boveda packs in individual boxes but after calculating the costs, it may be more cost effective to look into Cigar Oasis. Besides, don't the jars of crystal do the same thing as Boveda packs? I'll monitor the conditions when I get home and over the next few days. Will try to send new pics tonight.

Sweet looking piece!

Thanks for the advice. I left town for a couple of days and on return, found the humidity reading to be just 50%. I ran out to Lowes and picked some peel and stick weather stripping in a couple of different sizes and materials. Also, picked up a couple of packages of Velcro. I had ordered some empty cedar cigar boxes from Cigar International, so when I got back, I took a hammer and knocked them apart, stuck some velcro tape on them, and mostioned both side with distilled water using a clean wash cloth. Lined most of the top, sides, and bottom using the velcro tape. I installed a 3/8" tear drop shaped gasket, made of silicon weather stripping, in just a few minutes. Put back the jars of humidifying crystals, a couple of boxes of cigars, and left the damp cloth in the humidifier overnight. Check it this morning and the humidity reading was 74%. Removed the damp cloth and will check again tonight.

I line most but not all of the Kool-Adore with cedar. Covered maybe 80% of the interior but didn't bother cutting and fitting the uncovered areas. Didn't think it really necessary to line every square inch. Should be enough cedar to retain adequate moisture for the cigars.

Same with the lid seal. Didn't try to seal around the hing area, so it isn't airtight. My guess is that will be good enough to keep the environment within the desired specs. If not, my fallback plan was to use Boveda packs in individual boxes but after calculating the costs, it may be more cost effective to look into Cigar Oasis. Besides, don't the jars of crystal do the same thing as Boveda packs? I'll monitor the conditions when I get home and over the next few days. Will try to send new pics tonight.

Yes, the jars are about the same as the Boveda packs...although I'm not sure the jars absorb excess moisture like the Bovedas do to keep the humidity at a level number.

Also, keep in mind that the wood from the boxes will absorb moisture (in the beginning) and may cause lower readings in the outset...be patient and give the wood time to adjust.

Sounds like you are well on your way to getting that thing to work...and yes, the Cigar Oasis is a much better way to go...set it and forget it type of thing...which will in turn protect your investment.

Good luck and keep us all posted on your progress :thumbs:

That thing is awesome! Would look awesome in my man cave :) How does it hold humidity and temperature?

That thing is awesome! Would look awesome in my man cave :) How does it hold humidity and temperature?

thanks for the kudos. Don't know how effective it is just yet. Some Amazon customers who reviewed it as a cooler commented that it didn't keep items as cold as the plastic coolers. Wouldn't expect it to. However, as IronPeddler and other suggested, I added a sealing gasket and lined it with broken down cedar boxes. Seasoning isn't completed and readings are still a little dry as IronPeddler predicted.