• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

My One Year CP Anniversary

bpj87

Go Bulldogs!
One week ago marked my one year anniversary on this community that we all call home, Cigar Pass. Incidentally, this is also another milestone, my 1000th post. I have not had the chance to be all that active on the boards lately due to my school schedule, but let this post signify my return. :)

As a small way of giving back to CP, I'd like to share some of what I have learned during my first year here.

1. Let's start with the most important part first: Cigar Pass is so much more than a mere forum. In just a single year, despite not having met them face to face, I have made a great number of friends through CP. By participating in passes, trades, GBs, and sales, many of which occurred behind the scenes, I have connected with BOTLs from all over the world and established wonderful camaraderie in the process. We don't just talk cigars at CP; we are a family.

2. Taking one's time getting into cigars is crucial. As one of the few who managed to avoid CBid in my early days, I instead turned to CP for help in building my knowledge and collection. The help of the members and archives were pivotal in guiding my first purchases, leaving me now with only what I want and a large collection of singles to try. In short, start slow, do your homework, and allow your tastes to evolve through smoking as many singles as possible.

3. Construction is key. Thank you Fuente, Padron, Tatuaje, et al. :love: You are doing better, Fidel. :sign:

4. Cuban vs. non-Cuban is a non-issue. There is so much to try out there that it would be a shame to limit one's smoking to CCs. An analogy: "I only drink the wine of the French, as they make the best wine." Not only would doing so be limiting and become monotonous, but to also say the wine/cigars of one nation are the best is ridiculous. Just as France vinifies everything from swill to the transcendent, Cuba offers cigars of all quality levels. Objectively great quality exists everywhere, and the joy of cigars is experiencing all of the diverse profiles available. Additionally, see #3 above. :whistling:

5. Smoke your best sticks. I was as touched by the message left with us by Brian, and I am smoking accordingly. A list of my most recent smokes would include HTF Fuentes, '98s, ELs, etc. In other words, a special cigar is an occasion in and of itself. You will always have the chance to acquire more HTF sticks, and I'd certainly rather live with the memory of smoking that amazing cigar than stare at it indefinitely as it rests in the humidor.

6. Listen to and respect the FOGs. Every few months, I learn something new about the workings of CP that I would never have previously considered. Following this to its logical end, we realize that the FOGs know quite a lot about CP. If ever I am confused about one of their actions in a matter, I eventually realize the good reason for why it transpired as it did.

I hope this helps some of our newest members. Why don't we open this up to all, such that we can post what we've learned in our times at CP, no matter how long or short they have been? I'd like to extend a big thank you to Rod for bringing us CP and to all of the members for making CP such a spectacular community! :D :thumbs:

This is a very good read.....Thanks for the tips, and most of all THANK YOU for share'n!! :cool:

Who are you? :sign:

Congrats Brian! It'ss been great knowing you the past year brotha! Excellent words of wisdom!

Congrats on your 1 yr anniv...... I have yet to hit 1 month... haha!! I'm extremely new to cigars but I am learning alot in my little time. Congrats again.

I have lurked on other boards but never signed up. This IS home! I couldn't have said what Bryan said any better myself!

What I've learned:
Smoke what you got! Every cigar is a journey. It doesn't matter what it is.
Listen to the FOGs, they are FOGs for a reason!
Thank Rod , or Ray, or Rick, or whatever that guys name is whenever you can for not selling out!
Never get into a pissing contest with CC... Unless you're a troll, he likes talking with them! :laugh:

And last but not least:

READ MORE POST LESS!!!!

Congrats on the two milestones and thank you for sharing your experience with all of us newbies.

Thanks for all of the kind words! Let's hear some more bits of wisdom... :thumbs:

Congrats on the anni Bro! May there be many more for you here.

Congrats brotha! Keep up the good work. ;)

Thanks for the advice!

One thing I have learned in my very short tenure, tho it sounds like a cliche, is to search, search, search. No matter how original you think your question may be, it is most likely answered already. My questions were no exception.

I'm looking forward to participating in some trades at some point, but I have to get some quality sticks 1st. :D Patience, patience.

Cheers.

That was very well put sir. Almost could serve as a mission statement.

Happy one year here. Just think of all we have yet to learn in the years to come.

Congrats, well said.

That is A LOT OF POSTS in one year....