• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

My personal favorite (as of now)

bigdan1173

Okay, at the risk of being humiliated I'm ready to tell you guys which of the many cigars are my favorites.

A few notes first...

I chose this cigar for a number of reasons. As you know I've only recently become a serious cigar smoker (at least one a day for the last month or so...). I have smoked one or two cigars/month since the Spring of 1992, my second semester in college (man where has the time gone????). I started as many do with swisher sweets from the drug store/gas station. However, I quickly moved into Fuente country and chose the 8-5-8's as my favorite and even considered them a "splurge". I found myself smoking curly heads most often.

The cigar boom hit and my $2-3 8-5-8's quickly doubled in price and haven't really come back down. SO...

I found this "Amoroso" from Thompson. Please don't laugh at me. It's really good IMHO. Nice tight role, good flavor, and best of all it's about $2 a smoke.

What I'd like to know is why there is never much discussion about Thompson cigars? I'm sure the Amorosos could be had for less money if not exclusively sold through Thompson. However, I feel like they are a solid everyday smoke.

And NO, I WOULD NEVER BUY "REGULAR" BRANDS FROM THOMPSON. They are consistently overpriced.

I always look for a "cheap" but solid smoke.

Thoughts?

If you like 8-5-8s, at least you've got good taste. :p If you like the Thompsons, you might also consider some of the J-R house cigars - especially the Ultimates. They're quite good and very affordable. Also, Consuegras, which are seconds from the Villizon factory in Honduras, can be very good especially with about a year of age on them. Since they're seconds, they tend to be hit-or-miss, but when they hit, you can't beat them for the $$.

Dan, PM me your snailer and I'll send you a little sampler of Consuegras and JR Ultimates for you to try.

Go college!!!

And people wonder why swisher's cost $0.69. :p

Never heard of Thompson line, care for a trade?
PM me.

I think your right about Thompsons. I would buy some of their accesories but even do that because they have their stupid logo on everything.

A friend gave me almost a whole brick of Marianao he got from Thompsons and they are great!! Smooth, mellow, light easy draw, perfect for Barbeques. I still have several because I don't smoke churchills that often. I don't even see them in the catalog anymore though.

The good thing like you said is all the cool non-standard stuff they have. My first long leaf hand made cigar was a box of Havanna Honeys I ordered from them when I first started getting into good cigars. I still love those things from a nostalga point of view but don't even buy from Thompsons because of the prices.

One problem with the cheaper ones is you get so many and are not sure what the quality will be. While the Marianao have been a great suprise, back in the early days I ordered two bricks of Quovadis from Thompsons. What dog rockets those were. I couldn't bring myself to smoke them and didn't have room to store them, I resorted to tupedors and even freezing. Perhaps the solution is to try more of thier sample packs.

Thompsons is such a great company especially for those like myself without access to good tobacco shops. I really wish I liked them better.

I'm glad you had some success, now I don't feel so stupid.

I ordered a box of the maduro amorosos today. I hope they are as enjoyable as the naturals I got about a month ago.

I also ordered a sampler of the pinatas cubanas. I hope they are a good smoke. I'll keep you updated.

I don't remember seeing the brand you bought previously from thompson in their current catalouge. They seem to get new cigars and discontinue others on a regular basis.

And finally I couldn't agree more about their stupid logos being on every freaking ashtray and humidor. Some of the stuff looks nice, but not with those logos.

If anyone is interested in a continuing discussion of various thompsons I'd be happy to participate. Maybe if a few of us try a couple of brands we can separate the wheat from the chaff.

And one last thing. (Sorry to keep rambling...) if you haven't found cigarprice.com and cigarbid.com they can be very valuable in trying to find some bargains on cigars. cigarprice.com charges for a search engine service. they find the lowest (at least they say) price on hundreds of brands of smokes. Some are name brand some are house brands.

I really like cigarbid.com. The only downfall at all is having to wait to find what you might be looking for. I really like the 5 packs though and even if they don't have what I want at the moment they usually have plenty of good stuff to try. A great site. Never heard of the other.

I bought some stuff from Thompson's and was reasonably satisfied with their customer service, but there stuff is ,as stated before, covered in their logo feces..... I got a free box of some serious dog rockets with a humidor purchase that had a junk cutter and an ashtray.....There are what they are..I have been ordering from cigargold.com and really am pleased with their service, the prices are hit and miss with JR's and such, but shop around. That's my $.02 for today..... :D

gr8full2day said:
I bought some stuff from Thompson's and was reasonably satisfied with their customer service, but there stuff is ,as stated before, covered in their logo feces..... I got a free box of some serious dog rockets with a humidor purchase that had a junk cutter and an ashtray.....There are what they are..I have been ordering from cigargold.com and really am pleased with their service, the prices are hit and miss with JR's and such, but shop around. That's my $.02 for today..... :D
I ditto Cigargold!