• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

My Sinatra music is gone....

iedgar10

Although my passion for cigars is relatively new, the most relaxing moments I've had yet have been sitting outside, smoking a cigar, and listening to some Sinatra and Bocelli. Unfortunately, today I found out that none of my Sinatra music is in my computer anymore! I searched around the net and it turns out iTunes randomly deletes songs once your library gets big. Although in my case it deleted Random Music + Frank Sinatra. I called Apple and they said they were, "unaware that iTunes could do such a thing."

NOW WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO LISTEN TO??? Since my Sinatra albums were bought a while ago, I lost my CDs and I never backed up my Sintra albums. Yes, I backed up but Sinatra apparently was excluded for some reason. I guess that much was my fault; I didn't check to see that all my music was included in my backups :0

As I spit out more cash to buy my songs again, what do you guys recommend/listen to when you smoke? Here are some of my favorite Sinatra/Bocelli songs if you want to make recommendations based on them:

-My Way
-Softly, As I Leave You
-Summer Wind
-That's Life
-Somewhere in Your Heart
-Tell Her
-Amapola (Bocelli)
-Por Ti Volare (Bocelli)
-Les Feuilles Mortes (Bocelli)
-Beyond The Sea (bobby darin)

Edit: Does anyone know how to fix this?

:rolleyes: Fer Christ's sakes kid, get a turntable and some Tony Bennett records.

Doc.

I don't deal with itunes (mainly because I want my sound files in mp3 format). Sorry to hear that. I would flip out if I lost some of my favorite tunes.

:rolleyes: Fer Christ's sakes kid, get a turntable and some Tony Bennett records.

Doc.

He's 19 Doc...pretty sure he doesn't know what a turntable is!

Oh I'm sure he knows, especially if he dj's. Now if he knows what this is, I'd be very impressed:

ad01-01_XL.gif

I don't deal with itunes (mainly because I want my sound files in mp3 format). Sorry to hear that. I would flip out if I lost some of my favorite tunes.

Doc.

He's 19 Doc...pretty sure he doesn't know what a turntable is!

Oh I'm sure he knows, especially if he dj's. Now if he knows what this is, I'd be very impressed:

ad01-01_XL.gif

EDIT: It's a Stack Mate 45 Cartridge. :sign:

Doc.

Doc, you're my hero. Tony Bennett will now be added to my collection. I must say, however, I can't really comply to the turntable standard.

EDIT: Doc, or anybody else willing to go into the deeper meaning of a song, do you know what Tony Bennett's "The Good Life" is talking about? I listened to it and looked up the lyrics. At first, I thought it was praising the "good life." However, after listening to it a few more times, I realized he says it "seems to be" ideal and later proceeds to say that love can't be found in the good life (line 3). Since I assume love is usually considered to be of greater substance in music, art, and literature, I assumed that Bennett is dismissing "the good life" as ideal.

The reason I'm asking is because I was going to say, "Tony Bennett's 'The Good Life' should be the theme song to the forum's 'The Good Life' cigar section." However, if I'm understanding it correctly, it's actually counter-intuitive.

Lyrics for you convenience
The Good Life
Oh, the good life, full of fun seems to be the ideal
Mm, the good life lets you hide all the sadness you feel
You won't really fall in love for you can't take the chance
So please be honest with yourself, don't try to fake romance

It's the good life to be free and explore the unknown
Like the heartaches when you learn you must face them alone
Please remember I still want you, and in case you wonder why
Well, just wake up, kiss the good life goodbye

This is why I stay far away from iTunes or any other digital music service. They just don't have the whole thing figured out, to the point that is acceptable to me. I.e. flac format and abesolutely no DRM. I know, tall wish list, but I won't touch a digital music service unless it has those two things at lest. I'm fine with buying what I like and ripping my own collection.

Might I suggest "Come Fly With Me". One of my favorites. I've been a Sinatra and the Rat Pack fan for years.
Also, may I suggest Micheal Buble. He provides some good performances of some of Frank's songs.

Could you Philistines stay on topic. We're discussing Male Italian singers. Not a bunch of wannabe protestants.

Doc.

At the risk of drawing fire from Devil Doc for failing to stay on topic. :) This is an odd issue. I looked around and found that it was happening on iTunes 7 when your music was on a drive other than the C drive, but couldn't find anything more recent than that. Needless to say this really scared the crap out of me because I have over 90GB of music on my iTunes, I back it up as regularly as I can, but it's still a hassle when something goes wrong. I'm no iTunes fan boy, but I like the layout and options I have on it compared to other applications I've seen/used. I buy very few songs/albums from iTunes, generally it's pretty rare or hard to find stuff. Mostly I get my music the old fashioned way, buy CDs, rip to 320kbit rate (I think the sound is superior, just mho) and throw it on iTunes. With the exception of the maybe 15 songs I bought from iTunes, my entire library is mp3 files and they work fine on my iPod touch and in iTunes on my laptop.
Now getting back to topic, I know what a turntable is, but albums are expensive, I can afford cigars or vinyl, not both. :) I'm partial to the blues myself, but I know if I'd lost my Sinatra I'd be defecating bricks.

Could you Philistines stay on topic. We're discussing Male Italian singers. Not a bunch of wannabe protestants.

Doc.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Edgar, you really ought to check out iCloud.

Problem solved?

-Mark

edited to add...? and remove 'next'

That actually seems awesome! I was expecting a $100+ price tag but at $25 a year it's actually a very viable option. BUT, Apple was the main issue to begin with. Another Apple product to solve an Apple issue seems inappropriate. :sign:

Doc.

Problem solved?

-Mark

That actually seems awesome! I was expecting a $100+ price tag but at $25 a year it's actually a very viable option. BUT, Apple was the main issue to begin with. Another Apple product to solve an Apple issue seems inappropriate. :sign:

Downloading past purchases from the iTunes store is a free service as of v. 10.3. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

It still sucks that you won't recover those Sinatra rips. I too, much like the Apple rep you spoke with, am entirely unaware that such a problem would ever arise. My iTunes library is enormous and I've never had an issue. In fact, the only music I have ever lost was my own damn fault. However, I just recovered much of that lost music with the nifty new feature I just wrote about.

As for the "iTunes match" feature, I am seriously considering shelling out the $25. It just seem so convenient, even beautiful.

-Mark

Doc.

Problem solved?

-Mark

From what I know of Apple, that sounds like their MO to a "T".

Any of you geniuses know anything about Hi-Rez downloads. You fellas do know that the music you're downloading is severely compressed and not high fidelity, right? I'm considering getting a DAC in order to play this stuff through my music system, but being computer challenged, I need to be convinced it's the way to go.

Doc.