• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

My Sinatra music is gone....

Snip......You fellas do know that the music you're downloading is severely compressed and not high fidelity, right?..../Snip

I used to be a supporter of MP3s in 320kbs but now, I'm moving to flac for my collection. An uncompressed and loseless format, so it is better for archiving than MP3s. I'll just convert what I want for any players that don't support it.

Snip......You fellas do know that the music you're downloading is severely compressed and not high fidelity, right?..../Snip

I used to be a supporter of MP3s in 320kbs but now, I'm moving to flac for my collection. An uncompressed and loseless format, so it is better for archiving than MP3s. I'll just convert what I want for any players that don't support it.

Sure, Doc. I'm fine with it.

-Mark

Any of you geniuses know anything about Hi-Rez downloads. You fellas do know that the music you're downloading is severely compressed and not high fidelity, right? I'm considering getting a DAC in order to play this stuff through my music system, but being computer challenged, I need to be convinced it's the way to go.

Doc.

Eh, I don't know if it's worth it personally. I know with compression you lose quality, but depending on how much compression and what your source for the music is has a bearing on the final result also. I took a few CDs that I'd ripped ages ago that were ripped at 128k and re-ripped at 320k and there is a definite improvement, but comparing from the CD to the new rip, I couldn't really notice a difference. iTunes downloads are, overall, kinda crappy. I would love to do all my music in lossless, but at this point it just isn't realistic. Plus I don't know of any portable players that support the format. Let me know if you want to try to rip a few songs from a CD and I can make a walkthrough for you to do it. It's pretty easy, I wrote one up for my bro years ago and need to do a new one for him anyway.

Any of you geniuses know anything about Hi-Rez downloads. You fellas do know that the music you're downloading is severely compressed and not high fidelity, right? I'm considering getting a DAC in order to play this stuff through my music system, but being computer challenged, I need to be convinced it's the way to go.

Doc.

AH! How refreshing to hear someone make that comparison!
I still have my Turntable, and a proper preamp, and amp that make magical music.
I love people coming over, making snide remarks about my system, and then watching them sit there, jaw dropped and drooling as I play a "record".
Some recordings on CD/SACD/DVD have come a long way. Mobile Fidelity, Chesky, Mapleshade, and a few others have really worked hard to get Digital listenable to a died in the wool vinyl lover.
Then there are folks who have worked miracles on the players, to get them as analog sounding as possible.

Digital is convenient, and entry level is a lot cheaper than Vinyl, for decent sound. But, if you have never heard a Turntable/Vacuum Tube Electronics system play, you haven't really heard what really happened at
the studio or recording venue. Go find a High End Stereo Dealer that demos vinyl based systems, and you will be very surprised. Besides, Sinatra, Bennett,Bocelli, Martin, and Monte, all deserve to be heard as they really sound.My link