• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

My very own pipe making project!

Q_The_Cop

Beware Clown!
My wonderful girlfriend bought me a pipe to carve for Christmas, so I thought I would follow in DesertRats footsteps and post up my journey into pipe carving. I'll have some pictures to post when I get home. I'm still fiddling with a design I would like for it, so I haven't actually started on it yet. This is the pipe she got me:

gallery_8234_842_8205.jpg

I got a 200 piece dremel kit a while back and now have something to use it on! PIcs to follow!

Wish me luck!

Excellent! You will have hours of frustr...... I mean fun!

Seriously, it was a project I really enjoyed and I know you will too.

That is a sweet piece of wood Q, can't wait to see you get going.

Well with the New Year and associated holidays it took me a little while to get started. That and I had to get the right Dremel bits. I ended up going with the one DR put a picture up of. I spent a couple of days trying to come up with a design I liked. I didn't go the route DR went (with whatever the wood wanted to be) I wanted to have a design in mind. But seeing how it's going I may end up going the way! :laugh:

Here is the shape I am looking for.
gallery_8234_842_11838.jpg

I sat out on my balcony with a cold one (Santa's Butt to be exact!) and started the rough shaping. It took about 2 hours to sand off the excess wood, and this is the rough shape of it. I have a lot more to do, but it's been interesting so far! Sorry for the crappy pics, all I had was my iPhone at the time. Better pictures will come later!

gallery_8234_842_1049.jpg

gallery_8234_842_10065.jpg

Excellent! It's coming along nicely.

Designing in 2D and carving in 3D took me awhile to get used to. You seem to have a good grasp of that end of things.

Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Danny

Yeah, that's my main problem right now. I stopped last night because I was having a hard time trying to "see" how to cut the where the shank meets the bowl. I was kinda afraid to go any further with it then. I drew it out on the wood after that so I'll go ahead with it after work today. so far it's looks pretty good. I scuffed up the pre finished part of the shank when my Dremel kicked up, but I should be able to sand that away. I'll have some better pics this weekend hopefully.

Nice! Looking forward to seeing the progress. Though it makes me wonder what kind of stares you'd get if you didn't cut the block at all and just lacquered it. :laugh:

Another fun project to follow. Good luck on this! :thumbs:

Nice! Looking forward to seeing the progress. Though it makes me wonder what kind of stares you'd get if you didn't cut the block at all and just lacquered it. :laugh:

I told Keli I was going to do that when she gave it to me! Just round off the edges a bit and sand it. She didn't think it was a very good idea... I thought it was brilliant! :D

Looking good so far. I love the grain of the wood and in my minds eye, I see wonderful possibilities. Continued success on this project Mr. Officer, sir.

I'm looking forward to seeing your progress to the finished product. You guys are really make me regret not having done this earlier. I always envisioned it being a huge PITA, but it doesn't sound too bad.

This is great, huge cudos for actually doing it. I'd love to but the idea of pipe carcasses laying around scares me.

Just a little update: Due to the big ice storm GA got hit with this past Sunday, I haven't even wanted to go outside the past couple of days, so the progress slowed. Hopefully I'll be able to get back on it this weekend.

It hasn't really been a PITA at all actually. As long as I take it REAL slow, and take off as little as possible at a time (as I have NO practical wood working experience AT ALL!) It's been going smoothly.

Well against my better judgment I decided to go outside in the cold and continue on making my pipe. At least I had some Crown Royal to keep me warm! I used my Dremel and the wood cutting bit and shaved off the wood at the shank, thank God it only took me about 20 minutes because it was freezing outside!!

gallery_8234_842_55570.jpg

Here is a pic of it after another 30 minutes or so of sanding. I used the barrel sander that came with my Dremel to flesh out the shape of it. This took me a little longer then I thought.

gallery_8234_842_30504.jpg

I put the stem in it, and it started looking more and more like an actual pipe!

gallery_8234_842_17176.jpg

I bought some 120 grit sand paper to start the hand sanding, but I found it was a tad to stout. I also bout some 320 grit and it was perfect! I started the hand sanding and noticed a knot developing... Hopefully it won't effect the smoking, The pic is a little crappy but I promise there will be better pictures!

Here's a pic of the knot.
gallery_8234_842_24595.jpg

After about 30 minutes of sanding with 320 I wasn't really satisfied. I remembered I had some 600 grit in my tool box for some auto paint repair I was doing on the Jeep, so I got that out and went to town! This thing is as smooth as a baby's bottom now! I hit the shank with the Dremel and nicked it pretty good, so I had to sand it down a little more then I would have liked. All in all it's starting to look really good!

I wiped it down with alcohol and a cotton ball every now and then to remove the dust and to see how the grain was looking and it looks AMAZING! I didn't want to take a pic of the grain with my phone, so I'll wait till tonight and try to take a pic with my good camera. It spider webs out from the stem on both sides and looks really neat!

More to follow...

Q_man, I think the knot is going to add something special that will reveal itself as you continue to refine the outer bowl. Can't wait to see how complementary the grain is going to be.

Nice! It's coming along quite well, Q.

I agree with Ed that the knot will likely add a unique character to the finished pipe.

That is looking top notch...
Really looking forward to the finished pics

Tim