• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Naming a business

bchem

A friend of mine (husband and wife) are going to be starting their own brewery and are having trouble coming up with a name for it. I am hoping that all of you guys might be able to give them some more ideas. The reason I think this is a good place to ask for help for naming a beer brewery, (besides the fact that half of you are lushes! haha!) is because of the history behind where the brewery will be located. They have a home in Lancaster County, PA, that has an old tobacco barn on the lot. That is where they brewery will be located. The house is very old (I think mid to late 1800's) as is the barn. It is a beautiful location, and his beer is phenomenal! (sp?)

Bottom line is they came to me asking for ideas, and I thought you all might be able to help.

From what I understand, they want to hint at the history of the house (mainly the tobacco barn) but don't really want to use the word "tobacco" in the business name. Other than that, anything goes!

Any ideas? Post away with as many suggestions as you can come up with. Can't guarantee that they will use any of them, but besides being ex-camel smokers, they aren't very versed in the tobacco world, so I'm sure they would appreciate any help.

Sorry for the long post, but thanks in advance for the suggestions!

Red Barn Beer "it brings out the animal in you" :p

I found this "The traditional tobacco barn has long been symbolic of the crop's significance in Tar Heel life."

Perhaps "Tar Heel Beer"

I was going to say Barnyard Ales.

Conestoga Tavern - Named for the town in PA that the word "stogie" indirectly comes from. At least that's my understanding...

If no one already has a brewery that plays off the county name, I would try something along those lines. i.e. Lancaster Brewing Company. The barn idea seems like it would work well if it was reserved for their flagship beer. I can picture a really nice looking label.

What street is it one?

What town is it in?

Is there a "regional" name? (like in Northern Va, we have Old Dominion)

What are the owner's first names?

What are their grand parent's first names?

What kind of wood is the barn made out of?

~M

Springhouse Brewery
Old Springhouse Brewery
Tobacco Shed Brewery
Smokin' Ale Brew Haus
Smokin' Ale Brew House
Smokin' Ale Brewery

If any of these are used - I get a finders fee!

PM for details!
<yea - I'm selfish>
:D

More seriously, I think CasaSoho has the right idea. I think Lancaster Brewing Co. has a lot of potential for widely accepted brand identity.

Fer instance...Alaskan Brewing Co. products are widely known by their shortened name; Alaskan Amber, Alaskan Stout, et al. Seems to me the same could easily be done with Lancaster Lager and so on. It strongly identifies it as a local brew but leaves open wider marketing. I can even envision a tag line like, "Brewed by the folks over in Lancaster" or some such.

More seriously, I think CasaSoho has the right idea. I think Lancaster Brewing Co. has a lot of potential for widely accepted brand identity.

Fer instance...Alaskan Brewing Co. products are widely known by their shortened name; Alaskan Amber, Alaskan Stout, et al. Seems to me the same could easily be done with Lancaster Lager and so on. It strongly identifies it as a local brew but leaves open wider marketing. I can even envision a tag line like, "Brewed by the folks over in Lancaster" or some such.

Thanks for typing out everything I was too lazy to elaborate on! :thumbs: :whistling:

Silo brewery. "Tap a Silo today"
If you've ever drank what's at the bottom of a silo in the spring you'd understand. ;)

Doc.

The trouble with going too broad is that someone most likely already has it.

http://www.lancasterbrewing.com/

DEFINITELY get an attorney to search & file for the trademark BEFORE printing anything as it can/is very expensive to have to re-print. Even then, I wouldn't print anything until the trademark is approved. It's easier to fight/win a trademark infringement suit if your trademark was approved first.

~M

Pennsyltucky Brew Comp.

We are from Penn. also and have always loved the term Pennsyltucky

~M

ROFLMAO! I just saw you location under your name!

~M

Lancaster Brewing company is already taken, and they make some nice beers as well I might add.

Funny someone mentioned "Conestoga" brewing compayn, as that is the town that they live in!

Another funny one is the "Springhouse Brewery" because that is the exact title of one of their ideas that they decided against. They have an old-fashioned spring well in their basement that is a really neat part of the house that they were going to focus on for the name.

What street is it one?

What town is it in?

Is there a "regional" name? (like in Northern Va, we have Old Dominion)

What are the owner's first names?

What are their grand parent's first names?

What kind of wood is the barn made out of?

~M

As I just mentioned, they live in Conestoga, PA, which is in Lancaster County. There isn't a "regional" name that I can think of, other than "Dutch" Country, but I don't think they want to focus on the Amish for their name.

The owners names are Matt and Nikki.

Don't know about what kind of wood it is made of but will try to get back to you. I will try to have her sign up here, if for nothing else than to follow this thread and answer these types of questions.

Thanks, great suggestions so far, I will be compiling them and passing them onto the owners.

Keep 'em coming!

:thumbs:

edited to add:

The trouble with going too broad is that someone most likely already has it.

http://www.lancasterbrewing.com/

DEFINITELY get an attorney to search & file for the trademark BEFORE printing anything as it can/is very expensive to have to re-print. Even then, I wouldn't print anything until the trademark is approved. It's easier to fight/win a trademark infringement suit if your trademark was approved first.

~M

Pennsyltucky Brew Comp.

We are from Penn. also and have always loved the term Pennsyltucky

~M

ROFLMAO! I just saw you location under your name!

~M

Must have typed at the same time! Yup, always thought that was a funny way to think of this area of PA as well! Thanks for the link as well, that was the brewery I was talking about.

Amish Ale, Hand crafted, made from only pure and natural ingredients

Lancaster Lager

Lancaster Pennsylvania Porter

Horse Buggy Brew

For a quick primer on the Amish, look here

How about The Olde Conestoga Master Brew or The Olde Conestoga Master Ale

if they want the barn history in there Smokey Barn Brewery