• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

National Museum of the Marine Corps

antaean

Did this happen to you?
For all you Jarheads out there,

I just read an article title "Proud Witness" in the American Society of Civil Engineers April 2007 "Civil Engineering" magazine (www.pubs.asce.org). This details a number of aspects of the new National Museum of the Marine Corps near Quantico, VA.

The article should be on the web address above in a few weeks or so when the May issue comes out (they lag one issue).

Anyway, the building and its concept really warms my heart. $56 million of the $57 million cost of the first phase construction was received from contributions by more than 50,000 Marines. The outside architectural concept was intended to reflect:

1. The Iwo Jima flag raising, and
2. an angled howitzer (you know why), and
3. a rising aircraft, and
4. a rifle at port arms, and
5. more abstractly the Marine Corps spirit of strength.

The designers were required to do a week of boot camp at Pendleton, several days aboard an amphibious assault ship off of Camp LeJeune, and visit the islands of Iwo Jima, Saipan, Tinian, and Guam..."to immerse themselves in the Marine Corps experience".

Next time I am out that way I will definitely visit...you should too.

Cheers,
antaean

Read all about it in my subscriptions to Leatherneck and Marine Corps Gazette, and lived vicariously through some pics, back when it opened.
Haven't made it up there yet, but plan to by the end of this year.
And...it looks incredible...a very deserving tribute to my/our beloved Corps and this Nation.

My wife and I keep saying we are going to pay a visit. I only live a half hour from it. We would often drive by during construction, wondering if it was supposed to symbolize the Iwo Jima flag raising. I see it almost weekly, it looks like you can touch it from your car on I-95. Huge building, beautiful.

My wife and I keep saying we are going to pay a visit. I only live a half hour from it. We would often drive by during construction, wondering if it was supposed to symbolize the Iwo Jima flag raising. I see it almost weekly, it looks like you can touch it from your car on I-95. Huge building, beautiful.

I am now considering making a trip this summer just to see this thing in person.

I go by it every couple of months. Its an amazing tribute to The Corps. I'll check it out someday. The only museums were cool(8th & I and next to PLC training area) but I feel like this one ups the bar, just a bit. You know how Marines are when it comes to showing off and showing the world why they are the elite, period! I didn't know about the designers having to get immersed in The Corps. though, thats really interesting.

I took some time off during a conference in the area and made it a point to visit, although I am a sailor this place really gives you a new respect for the corps. First off the design of the building is spectacular and they have a walk way around to the side made of bricks with the names of fallen marines. Upon entering the main vestible you are given head sets that talk you through the tour. There is a theatre which is considered the starting point with a cool video and from there you walk through every conflict that the U.S. Marine Corps has ever been involved in and the props and effects are like a disney set up all the way down to the temperature. The sructure in itself is something to marvel at, there are several different vantage points from which you can see the action. They even have a small restaraunt and a Mar-Bar next to it. Of course the souveneir shop is packed with all kinds of Geedunk and neat momentos. Definitely worth seeing. IMHO

I know that they wanted to designers to 'experience' what the Corps was like but that made me smile. What the Corps does and what they experience can only be known by a marine. I am glad they are on our side. :cool:

I plan on making a visit on one of my trips back east someday...Semper Fi!

I know that they wanted to designers to 'experience' what the Corps was like but that made me smile. What the Corps does and what they experience can only be known by a marine. I am glad they are on our side. :cool:

LOL, I hear you.