• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Need a good desktop humidor ...

Gary Kelly

I'm looking for a good desktop humidor. I need to store no more than 100 to 150 cigars. It has to be presentable, of course, since it is going in my office.

I'm shying away from Chinese made humis ... need something that will last.

Price range: $400 max

Any thoughts?

Gary

Now a days, even most quality humis are made in China. $400 is good but likely won't get you a custom made in US, or European crafted humi. Try Savoy by Ashton. They offer a variety of finishes/styles and likely to meet your price range. I've had nothing but great things to say about their glass top models, even though many hate glass top humidors. You may be able to find a Daniel Marshall to meet your needs also. Good luck.

I would strongly suggest picking up a boveda hygrometer calibration kit, as well as a boveda seasoning kit. Follow their instructions on humidor seasoning, packets required for size of humidor and you'll be operational in about 3 days-a week, 2 weeks if you are in drier climate like Colorado.

Also...please post an introduction here:
http://www.cigarpass.com/forum/index.php?forums/introduce-yourself-here.13/

Welcome and enjoy the ride!

Edit to add link.

My first destop was bought off Ebay over a decade ago. My guess is Chinese. It is still going strong.

Better:
-Daniel Marshall (They sell 2nds too) (A best buy),
-Manning

Decent Makes:
-The old Lane Furniture co. Models (typically large humidors with several dividers),
-Old Hillsdale House (be careful, some are chinese just using the old Hillsdale House Humidifier/Hygrometer unit)(only get one with quadrant hinges and clearly visible grain patterns),
-Old Reed Barton made Diamond Crown

A 100-150 count humidor is typically based on corona sized cigars. They will hold a lot less than 100 robustos, etc. This is also based on my personal experience. There are other well respected brands.

Last edited:
Okay first of all all Chinese products are not bad, some of them can outlast even american products. It's just that you have to buy something that has trusted reviews and good track record.

If you insist on something american and what looks good, I suggest trading glory. Very american in every aspect and has good reviews and track record. + it is cheap. I included it in my list of best humidors here - http://cigarhunk.com/best-cigar-humidor/

All in all I will suggest that you do not try to focus only on it being Chinese almost all products are made in China now including most of the big brands. Find something that has good reviews and try it out.

Last edited:
There are some decent humidors made in China. It depends on the brand and QA practices defined by the brand. There is also a lot of crap. Reviews are worthless unless you can trust that the reviewer knows the materials and construction details, and has used the humidor through all 4 seasons to know how it reacts to environmental factors. In addition, a lot of them use cheap internals covered in cedar veneer vs solid, humidity buffering cedar. Plated vs solid brass hardware, etc. If you don't know all of these factors, then it is best to stick with proven brands with excellent reputations. This is, of course, if any of this matters to the buyer.

You can def get a decent deal on a Daniel Marshall second.

Savoy is also a really good recommendation. Not the same quality in aesthetic appearance as something like a DM but its airtight and holds humidity well.

You can def get a decent deal on a Daniel Marshall second.

Savoy is also a really good recommendation. Not the same quality in aesthetic appearance as something like a DM but its airtight and holds humidity well.

I was looking at the DM seconds before I got my Savoy.

You get much more volume for a better price than with the DM's. Aesthetics might be lesser on the Savoy, but it seals great and my cigars can't see in the dark. ;)

I was looking at the DM seconds before I got my Savoy.

You get much more volume for a better price than with the DM's. Aesthetics might be lesser on the Savoy, but it seals great and my cigars can't see in the dark. ;)
Oh I totally agree. The DM is high quality furniture, but the build quality on the savoy's are great which is why I think they're so popular. They're good middle of the road humidors but functionally A+. But then again a coolerdore is also functionally A+ but aesthetically a G- =)

But then again a coolerdore is also functionally A+ but aesthetically a G- =)

That's why eventually you get both. One for looking at and reminding you that you have some awesome stash. The other to mostly contain that stash.

That's why eventually you get both. One for looking at and reminding you that you have some awesome stash. The other to mostly contain that stash.
Haha I am with you there. For some of us we can only dream about that cabinet for now.