• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Need a recommendation (Expresso Flavor)

Brickhouse

J.C. Newman owes me royalties.
Good day all,

I have a question for a buddy actually. He was asking me about a flavored cigar that would resemble expresso.

Like me he's also partial to the box press and oily wrapper and I was just curious what was out there and if anyone had any recommendations I could give him.

I recommending the Java by Drew Estates, and I think he rather enjoyed it, I just didn't know if there was anything out there I may be missing.

I'm not much on the flavoreds, so my knowledge is very limited. Any suggestions are appreciated.

My advice would be to get him a Padrón 1964 Anniversary Maduro Exclusivo and tell him to smoke it while sipping on a cappuccino :)

Flavor-infused cigars are, in general, shit.

Yeah, I'm not a fan either, that's why I didn't really know what to tell him.

Thought maybe there are a few fans of the infuse though and maybe they could weigh in.

Thanks for the help.

Yeah, I'm not a fan either, that's why I didn't really know what to tell him.

Perhaps he doesn't know what he's missing... thus the suggestion to get him a PAM and have him pair it with a cappuccino...

If he must smoke an infused cigar, get him to try the Espesso or the Capuchino (sp?) by Bahia. Both are actually decently constructed. Frankly, those are the only ones that I can even remotely recommend.

I think JR has a cigar out called Mocha, but I don't know anything about it.

I tasted a Java at the RTDA last year. Moki hit that one on the head...it was sh!t.

Just a quick note to all: It's Espresso. Not Expresso. There is no x in that word anywhere! :thumbs:

Last week I heard the gal at the local coffee shop refer to the beans I just purchased as Expresso Roast. And she even works in a coffee shop!

I don't know what it tastes like, but I've a friend that likes the Kaluha smokes. Don't know if they are espresso-y (new word) :whistling: enough for you.

A PAM paired with a mocha or espresso type drink will give the desired affect (lots of experience to go from). Alternatively, I got the same affect from an Ashton VSG, but YMMV. I wouldn't in good conscience, recommend flavored cigars.

An example being: A good friend of mine got it in his head he wanted a Maker's Mark (whiskey flavored) cigar. As soon as he pulled it from the glass tube it was in, everybody in a 10 foot radius could smell it. Unlit, it didn't smell that bad, actually it was quite nice. As soon as it was lit, it was the nastiest smelling dog rocket you'd ever smell (worse than a Swisher or DM, even!), and it lasted all of about an inch and a half before he tossed it. He told me it took two days to get the nasty taste off his palate, it was so bad. After finding out what gets put in flavored cigars, and this particular incident, I won't go near one myself.

Robert

Good day all,

I have a question for a buddy actually. He was asking me about a flavored cigar that would resemble expresso.

Like me he's also partial to the box press and oily wrapper and I was just curious what was out there and if anyone had any recommendations I could give him.

I recommending the Java by Drew Estates, and I think he rather enjoyed it, I just didn't know if there was anything out there I may be missing.

I'm not much on the flavoreds, so my knowledge is very limited. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Brickhouse,

You might mention to your friend that the Drew Estates Natural Root has a mochachino aroma...sort of a mix between chocolate and coffee. The Natural Root is not from the DE Acid line and is not to be confused with any of the artificially flavored Acids.

To make the Natural lines of cigars, D.E. uses tobacco from 12 different countries and they cut it into "short filler" pieces. These pieces are layed out on long leaf tobacco and covered with another long leaf essentially sandwiching each piece of short filler between long filler leaves. This process is repeated over and over till it forms a bale. This bale is then pressed for 6 months, the pressure and heat makes the "short filler" become one with the long leaf.

Believe me when I say that before smoking the Natural Root I was a "traditional" cigar smoker all the way. I'm was as against scented/flavored cigars as they come. But the Natural Root was not what I expected. It was a pleasent surprise. It is not artificially scented like the Acid Line of cigars. But it does have an aroma that it gets from the tobaccos used to blend the cigars.

Although it is good to get opinions, don't let anyone tell you what to smoke. No one can tell you what YOU are going to like because taste is subjective to each individual. Only YOU can know what you will or will not like, and that is by smoking every cigar that interests you.

I'm not sure how much of a Newbie you are, new to cigars and Cigar Pass, or just new to CP. Either way, I hope you find something useful in The Newbie Primer: http://www.cigarpass.com/forumsipb/index.php?showtopic=19797

An example being: A good friend of mine got it in his head he wanted a Maker's Mark (whiskey flavored) cigar. As soon as he pulled it from the glass tube it was in, everybody in a 10 foot radius could smell it. Unlit, it didn't smell that bad, actually it was quite nice. As soon as it was lit, it was the nastiest smelling dog rocket you'd ever smell (worse than a Swisher or DM, even!), and it lasted all of about an inch and a half before he tossed it. He told me it took two days to get the nasty taste off his palate, it was so bad. After finding out what gets put in flavored cigars, and this particular incident, I won't go near one myself.

Robert

I had similar experiances with the same gar and with the gurkah grand reserve.
My first gurkah was too fresh to actually stay lit.My second,a maduro grand reserve was allowed to breathe for 5 days in a RP sungrown coffin out of the glass.
That stayed lit well.It tasted like sour/rancid fruity'ish flavors.I did taste the maduro and it blended well,but even have a glass of cognac or scotch with these makes it not a happy smoke...for me at least.
The makers mark had similar experiances but with the makers mark bourban it helped mask the putridness of the gar.

Never again.

I have smoked the java and can say,for me,it's tolerable if I am out of cigars...which will never happen.

Great responses all. Thanks for the continued input. I think the PAM saddled with a mocha or espresso drink is something I'll suggest. I may even try that myself.

I haven't yet found any flavoreds I'd buy a bundle of, but I'm pretty new to the game.

Thanks for the link Bryan, I'd consider myself pretty noobish, so I can use the research.

The idea of the Padron 1964 Maduro with an espresso or latte or what ever coffee is the best solution.

I actually prefer a nice cup of Cafe Du Monde with my Padrons. I find the heavy body of a coffee with chicory goes great with almost any cigar. Du Monde either hot or iced is my favorite drink while smoking.

I am currently smoking a nicely aged Punch double corona from 1999 with a nice large glass of iced Du Monde.

The idea of the Padron 1964 Maduro with an espresso or latte or what ever coffee is the best solution.

I actually prefer a nice cup of Cafe Du Monde with my Padrons. I find the heavy body of a coffee with chicory goes great with almost any cigar. Du Monde either hot or iced is my favorite drink while smoking.

I am currently smoking a nicely aged Punch double corona from 1999 with a nice large glass of iced Du Monde.

Harris,

what is Du Monde?

Harris,

what is Du Monde?

Coffee shop...

Another suggestion for Brickhouse would be to a Graycliff Espresso... expensive cigars, but I find them to be excellent. They are not flavored, but people who like the flavor of coffee/espresso generally enjoy these cigars as well.

Dang, didn't know this post was reactivating, haha. I really appreciate all the suggestions. I've forwarded the advice to my smokin buddy and he's been taking it. I'm not much on the flavoreds myself, but I know that this place is full of knowledge so I knew you guys would have some good suggestions.

I did have myself a cup of joe with a RP '92 the other day and I was pretty surprised, made for a nice morning start.