• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Need help with beetles

AnthonySzum

I need help to get rid of them. This is the first time this has happened. I was in the middle of filling my humidifier and picked up of of my cigars and something fell off it onto my shirt then on the floor. I couldn't find it and didn't know what it was at first so i decided to inspect my cigars ( only had 9 in there). I then seen this little bug moving around on one side of the divider and I immediately started checking the cigars. I did not see any holes on the leaf but I saw what looked like a hole at the foot of one of my cigars. I just finished putting them in a zip lock bag and threw them in the freezer. My concern is making sure they are all gone from my humidor. I found one in my single travel tube but there was no cigar in it, just a little tobacco dust it must have been feeding on. I have one of those crush/waterproof travel cases to I am worried might be infested. All together so far I have only seen 3.
How do I go about cleaning everything to make sure my main humidor and travel humidor will be beetle free when returning my cigars back to their home?
Should I be worried about the one that fell on the floor? How long can they live without food?
Also, I bought these cigars from a La casa del habanos dealer in Mexico 3 months ago. For the past couple of weeks, the hygrometer has been reading 59-65F and 68% humidity. Shouldn't it have been to cool for them to hatch?
Thanks for any help in advanced,
-Anthony

The beetles are in the cigars. The eggs are dormant and then they hatch due to high temps and humidity.

Do a search on beetles and you'll get a ton of info, good luck

The beetles are in the cigars. The eggs are dormant and then they hatch due to high temps and humidity.

those temps are pretty low and the humidity is ideal. Guess it could have happened earlier than I thought

those temps are pretty low and the humidity is ideal. Guess it could have happened earlier than I thought

How long have you had the cigars that have the holes? Could have been improper storage where you bought them if they are fairly new. Are you sure your hygro is reading right?

About 3 months but the little hole would be at the foot. I just tapped them all and 2 of them had the poop come out and threw those 2 away. Yeah I actually calibrated my hygrometer yesterday

How long have you had the cigars that have the holes? Could have been improper storage where you bought them if they are fairly new. Are you sure your hygro is reading right?

Let's see...there's John...uh...Ringo... ??? ...ummm...

:p

Only beetle problem I've had was with a cuban R&J Exchibition #3, and that was about 8 years ago. I don't see why you couldn't wipe down your travel case to clean off any dust or live beetles and then throw it in the freezer for good measure.

It seems so obvious......

gallery_1565_604_3327.jpg

Stick all your sticks in the freezer for three days and then let them thaw out in the fridge for another three days and put back in humi. Should kill the bastards! Might have a snap krackle pop when you light them up but a beetle never hurt anybody n