• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Need some advice/ suggestions

SabresFan

This is my first winter as a cigar smoker and have had my ups and downs in the RH department. I have read some good info on here that has helped out alot with RH problems over the last few winter months. A couple weeks ago I decided to try something and share what I did.

Problem: RH levels in my 200ct humidor decrease drastically over the course of 3-4 days. I followed B.B.S.'s advice and soaked the credos in distilled water in conjuction with Viper's 65% beads. RH% would get up to about 68% and by day number 3-4 it would be down to 52-54%. At this point I would just recharge the credos and spray some distilled h20 on the beads. It is worth noting that over the summer I didn't have any problems with RH% in this humi. I don't smoke anything out of this humidor, all stuff that I wanted to age for a while. I have 2 travel humidors(1 large and 1 medium) that contain things that I to smoke daily, no issues with them. I think I know why summer RH was fine, but will go on.

After continually following the above pattern for a few weeks I decided to change batteries in my dig. hygrometer and re-calibrate it(salt tested). It calibrated out at -1%. At this point I thought that I would try putting the smokes in my cooler(Coleman 50qt. I think) just to see if things would be a bit more stable. Same results as with the humidor.

At this point I decided to go back to the old days and store the sticks in a large tupperdor to see what happened. With a smaller amount of beads the RH has held a steady 67% for the past 5 days without any help on my part.

I'm concluding that I obviously have sealing issues with both the humi and cooler, and have read several other related threads and seen some excellent fixes using weather stripping and other things which I will definately try.

What I am wondering: is the fluctuation in RH over that past couple months going to have any adverse/ negative effects on the quality of the smokes? If yes, is there anyway to help revive them?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

SabresFan said:
What I am wondering: is the fluctuation in RH over that past couple months going to have any adverse/ negative effects on the quality of the smokes? If yes, is there anyway to help revive them?

[snapback]284775[/snapback]​

First of all I am a noob so take my opinion for what it's worth... Hopefully a FOG will validate or share my opinion (or nuke it :) )!
I don't think that the fluctuation would have any major effect on your stogies. You seem to have been keeping a close eye on them and bringing the RH up when it plummetted. So I don't think this gave the cigars time enough for them to lose their essential oils. If you lost the oils they would be ruined.
Only one way to be sure... The TASTE TEST!

Good luck,
Rob

It takes some time for RH changes to effect your smokes unless they are loose spread out singles. Anything in boxes and especially sealed boxes I wouldn't worry about. Now if you leave the RH down at 54% for a week or more then you may have some issues.

Thanks for the info, yeah they have never been that low for more than a day at most. I will give one of them a taste test over the weekend.

Thanks for the responses.