• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Need some help from TX Gun owners..

redraider

Whoa Thats Cold
My father in law, who was a great man, passed away unexpectedly from a blood clot last week. He was 62 years old, retired two years ago, and did nothing but fish and hunt everyday. I am so happy he was able to enjoy a little bit of of his retirement. This was a man, that just bought a brand new Skeeter boat 6 weeks ago. He was not planning on dieing!!

He had a tremendous gun collection, his favorite pistol was a Kimber tactical ultra II. My mother in law told me to pick a couple from his collection to keep, and she was going to sell the rest. My long question is, do I need to fill out any paperwork to transfer the guns to me?

And yes I took the Kimber and his Colt series 90 Defender, bother guns are .45 ACP. He loved those guns, and he would have hated to see them go.

Thanks
DE

Sorry for your loss, sounded like an good guy.

No registration is required that I'm aware of. If you decide to carry there's a whole series of paperwork/ certification involved there.

Sorry for your loss, sounded like an good guy.

No registration is required that I'm aware of. If you decide to carry there's a whole series of paperwork/ certification involved there.

Thanks for the reply,
I do not plan on carrying, but I checked the internet and found a few different answers. One answer stated when transfering a fire arm you had to fill out a form. I also found others stating that there was no need for a tranfer form, and dealers where the only ones required to submit paperwork. I'll check with the DPS on Tuesday to be sure.

I'm sorry to hear about your father in law. Sounded like a heck of a guy.

I do not remember the state, but I have read of similar situations where it was legally considered a straw purchase because the firearm was not legally willed to the recipient upon the death of the previous owner. This may have been in a communist state like Illinois, NY, or California, though. Honestly can't remember. I would look up the website on the TSP or Texas Sheriff's Dep't and see what they have. Good luck.

*EDIT* I know that in many states the transfer/sale of a handgun and a long gun are handled entirely different. While living in Arkansas, I bought a Remington 870 Police Magnum shotgun off a buddy of mine from New Jersey when he passed through on a camping trip. In NJ, it takes endorsement from God, Himself to personally sell/transfer a handgun. For a long gun, however, nothing was required, and we only made up a bill of sale as a formality for ourselves.

Sorry for your loss.

Unless he expressed otherwise, they are the widow's firearms now. If you are both residents of Texas, and you are not other wise bared from owning firearms, she can gift you what ever she wants, no transfer paper work required. Across state lines are when the .gov wants FFL's involved and form 4473s filed.

Sorry for your loss.

Unless he expressed otherwise, they are the widow's firearms now. If you are both residents of Texas, and you are not other wise bared from owning firearms, she can gift you what ever she wants, no transfer paper work required. Across state lines are when the .gov wants FFL's involved and form 4473s filed.
Agreed. Might be worth getting in writing from your mother in law, listing the firearms and the fact that they were gifted to you from his estate.

Sorry for your loss....B.B.S.

Holy crap! Don't get rid of any of them! Keep all of them! Why would you let them get sold?

/crazy gun guy with all the old family guns too

-Trey

In the gifting process, remember to include the serial numbers of the items. My prayers and sorrow for your and mom's loss.

If I were you I'd check with the Texas State Police. In Illinois, anytime a gun is sold/gifted from one owner to another, you have to keep record of the transfer for 10 years. Including models/serial numbers, FOID Card numbers, names, dates, etc. However, it may have changed since I took that firearm course 15 or so years ago.

Either way, check with the State Police.

Sorry about your loss.

Thanks for the reply guys. I would love to keep them all, but I am happy to have the two. She doesnt want to keep them in the house, (she was never a fan of guns).

She is a little nervous about the finances now, although she will be fine. She has every right to sell them and I will help her with it. He had some collection. He had his carry license so most of them where carry guns. He had over 100 different holsters, and numerous laser sights, grips, and magazines. I am going to fly back down next week to help her sort through it all. The Kimber and Colt are great guns. Through all this I have been dealt a big dose of reality. Life is very precious, if you havent seen your folks, or your inlaws in some time, dont take them for granted. My wife and I are both in our early 30s and this made us realise that our parents are not invincible anymore. 62 is way to young to go.

Sorry for your loss, it's sad to see a fellow collector go without plans for his treasured collection. TX is pretty liberal with gun laws, I doubt there are any restrictions as far as giving guns away. In AZ, there are no restrictions whatsoever, the only time paperwork is filled out is when one buys a gun from a dealer.
I am a dealer, please don't let her sell the guns too cheaply. If you want I can give you an approximate private-party value of the guns. On selling them to someone, she should keep a copy of their info, driver's license or whatever to prove she sold them if any issue comes up.
Old gun-collector motto: When I die, please let my wife sell my guns for what they're worth, and not what I told her I paid for them.

Sorry for your loss, it's sad to see a fellow collector go without plans for his treasured collection. TX is pretty liberal with gun laws, I doubt there are any restrictions as far as giving guns away. In AZ, there are no restrictions whatsoever, the only time paperwork is filled out is when one buys a gun from a dealer.
I am a dealer, please don't let her sell the guns too cheaply. If you want I can give you an approximate private-party value of the guns. On selling them to someone, she should keep a copy of their info, driver's license or whatever to prove she sold them if any issue comes up.
Old gun-collector motto: When I die, please let my wife sell my guns for what they're worth, and not what I told her I paid for them.

Thanks alot for the advice and help. I will get a list together and PM them to you if that is ok. I believe she needs to sell them for closure. He had no sons, just two girls that he thought the world of. My mother in law has offered me the whole collection, but I dont feel right taking them. I have never been a gun enthusiast, and think the money could help her out in the long run.

Sorry for your loss, Dain.

Texas has no firearm registrations, period. Even for concealed carry. Basically, serial #'s are only there to be reported if the firearm is stolen.

Sorry to hear about the bad news. From your first post I can tell that it was unexpected, but either way it's never easy.

Could you please PM me the list as well? I have a number of friends and family members who collect/shoot/carry.