• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Need to replace my charcoal smoker

CigarStone

For once, knowledge is making me poor!
I have two of these smokers, one at the cabin and one at home. They were $40 at Lowes and they need replaced, the one at the cabin has been used so much it is falling apart. I need some suggestion to help me decide if I should get the same things over again or get something else, as these babies have certainly been worth $40.

The good:
They were easy to transport if needed
They were easy to use
They were inexpensive enough that theft wasn't an issue (cabin is weekend/seasonal)

The bad:
They are not made to tight tolerances so controlling temp was tough (too many air gaps)

Got any suggestions in the $40-$80 range?

f_Smokerm_1f4cbea.jpg

I have a charcoal smoker in my storage shed that I haven't used in years. The body and pans are good. Might even have an extra grill laying aroung the house somewhere. It's yours if you want, Jeff.

I have a charcoal smoker in my storage shed that I haven't used in years. The body and pans are good. Might even have an extra grill laying aroung the house somewhere. It's yours if you want, Jeff.

That's perfect, if you can bring it for the fall HERF we may even put it to use.

Thanks John!

That's perfect, if you can bring it for the fall HERF we may even put it to use.

Thanks John!

:love: :love:

On seconded thought, it will probably take longer to show up than Elittle's...

How to build a UDS

Some of you might not know what an UDS is so here is a link on how to build your own...

These things will burn low and slow all night long. IT is east to get a 12-14 hour burn out of one load of fuel.

Tim

My Weber Smokey Mountain has been awesome. It is the only smoker I've owned, so I cannot compare it to others. I can say that once you hit temperature there is not much to do. I check it every hour, but it holds well. I bought mine used for $100 on craigslist, otherwise they are pricey.

How to build a UDS

Some of you might not know what an UDS is so here is a link on how to build your own...

These things will burn low and slow all night long. IT is east to get a 12-14 hour burn out of one load of fuel.

Tim

Outstanding. I picked up a drum last night to make a UDS. Currently I am using a propane smoker with water pan which works great, but it does not have enough room in it to do full racks of baby backs, or more than a couple pork butts at a time. This should be the ticket with a couple cooking racks in it.

Thanks for the tip!

Bill

Thanks for the link MX, you just made me lose an hour or so reading that entire thread. Might have to give that UDS a go.

I am going to try and build a UDS with an off set fire box, for some really long cooks.....

I am thinking that the off set will allow me to add fuel with less hassle. Also, I think if I could find an old keg for the fire box, and mount it upright, it would look cool.

Tim

Back