• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

new cooler. what kind of humidification?

runcmd3

hello all. i just got a new cooler for my cigars. its 75 quarts or about 4300 cubic inches. will be putting about 100 cigars in it. i was looking at which kind of humidification i should get for it. should i go for the cigar oasis xl for $100 or heartfelt beads?

hello all. i just got a new cooler for my cigars. its 75 quarts or about 4300 cubic inches. will be putting about 100 cigars in it. i was looking at which kind of humidification i should get for it. should i go for the cigar oasis xl for $100 or heartfelt beads?

Beads recommended.

1 LB 65% , split up into 1/4LB net satchels., has worked well for me. Overkill? Probably.

( ..and only use distilled water on your beads! )

Beads recommended.

1 LB 65% , split up into 1/4LB net satchels., has worked well for me. Overkill? Probably.

Great suggestion.

I'd also suggest the use of the 'shift key'!

:thumbs:

Beads recommended.

Great suggestion.

I'd also suggest the use of the 'shift key'!

:thumbs:

I had a dream last night that I was shopping for a new cooler because my daughter had used mine as a make-shift fish tank. :angry:

What do you guys think about getting 2 large tubes http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/proddetail.asp?prod=HT_4_65 and putting them on the lid so theyre out of the way? Good or bad idea?

Do you want to hear what has worked , or do you want to hear what might work....if only your coolidor was 300 cubic inches smaller?

Getting the pound then. What kind of satchels did you use? The ones on heartfelt?

Heartfelt satchels work fine , or ( new ;) ) white pantyhose work well also.

( Search the humidor forum for other mods that members have made.)

The most important factor is maximizing the surface area of the beads, thus four 1/4 LB satchels are more efficient that one 1LB lump.

Did I mention to only use distilled water on your beads?

Has anyone mentioned getting a pound of Heartfelt beads yet...??.....;)

Kidding aside, these are virtually fool proof and have worked for lots of us here.

I suppose I should know this but what is the impact if you don't use distilled water? I'm in Iraq and don't have access to distilled water. I've been using the bottled water produced at the Army contracted purification plant which uses the reverse osmosis filteration process to purify the water. So while it is much more pure and ion/mineral free than commercially available bottled water, it is still not distilled. Am I looking at making my beads less and less effective at absorbing and releasing water as time goes on?

edit: Never mind, I foud my answer on the heartfelt website

"You may have noticed that every time I mention the fluid that is added to the beads I say “distilled water”. This is extremely important; anything other than distilled water will ultimately ruin the beads. All the impurities in tap water will be drawn in by the beads and remain there. Ultimately the beads will get plugged up and not work anymore. The same is true with any type of humidifier solution (also known as 50/50 solution) this will also ruin the beads in the long run." http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/faq.asp

I suppose I should know this but what is the impact if you don't use distilled water? I'm in Iraq and don't have access to distilled water. I've been using the bottled water produced at the Army contracted purification plant which uses the reverse osmosis filteration process to purify the water. So while it is much more pure and ion/mineral free than commercially available bottled water, it is still not distilled. Am I looking at making my beads less and less effective at absorbing and releasing water as time goes on?

"You may have noticed that every time I mention the fluid that is added to the beads I say “distilled water”. This is extremely important; anything other than distilled water will ultimately ruin the beads. All the impurities in tap water will be drawn in by the beads and remain there. Ultimately the beads will get plugged up and not work anymore. The same is true with any type of humidifier solution (also known as 50/50 solution) this will also ruin the beads in the long run." http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/faq.asp

In the aquarium hobby we use RO and distilled interchangeably. Both processes take tap water and remove impurities. I don't know which chemicals mess with the beads but I know that both RO and distilled water should have 0 TDS, 0 GH, and 0 KH.

Heartfelt satchels work fine , or ( new ;) ) white pantyhose work well also.

( Search the humidor forum for other mods that members have made.)

The most important factor is maximizing the surface area of the beads, thus four 1/4 LB satchels are more efficient that one 1LB lump.

Did I mention to only use distilled water on your beads?

I prefer the "nude" color!

:cool:

I prefer the "nude" color!

:cool:

Bfreebern is the CigarPass pantyhose expert. Brandon has done extensive research on pantyhose brands, colors, fits etc for best bead performance. Any noober who has questions regarding what works best should contact him here. :cool:

"You may have noticed that every time I mention the fluid that is added to the beads I say "distilled water". This is extremely important; anything other than distilled water will ultimately ruin the beads. All the impurities in tap water will be drawn in by the beads and remain there. Ultimately the beads will get plugged up and not work anymore. The same is true with any type of humidifier solution (also known as 50/50 solution) this will also ruin the beads in the long run." http://www.heartfelt...ies.com/faq.asp

You do have access to distilled water. Find a Corpsman (medic, if you must) or go beg at the closest BAS. Fellas in the motor pool probably have some as well.

Doc

In the aquarium hobby we use RO and distilled interchangeably. Both processes take tap water and remove impurities. I don't know which chemicals mess with the beads but I know that both RO and distilled water should have 0 TDS, 0 GH, and 0 KH.
-> Another reefkeeper...Here? Noway! Howdy partner! Im a fellow saltwater geek and BOTL. Great thread by the way!

Well I ordered a pound of 65% beads and 4 of heartfelt's satchels. They should be here today. Smoked a delicious CAO Brazilia while waiting by my mailbox :D. Also ordered some spanish cedar boards on ebay here. Does anyone have any interesting suggestions? Like maybe where to put the satchels. Or should I just plop them down on all 4 corners? Also should I take my cigars out of my old humi? Or maybe just open the lid and put the entire thing inside until my cedar arrives. I do have more cigars coming and my old humidor is practically overflowing.