• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

New Cuban Warranty Seal

FYI, online verification of the new barcode is available at http://www.habanos.com/sellos?lang=en
(Cuban site, but it is located in Toronto, Canada, so hopefully Americans should be able to see the website.)

Has anyone tried this? If so, what does it say, please?

Can the cigars have its origins traced by known codes or is that an Altadis internal mechanism? Seems that if that info is only for them to use there is no benefit to the final consumer. John

I went to the web site and put in ABC123 ABC123 for the double six digit format and the response is:

"You are a victim of fraud"
"Non registered code still for Habanos SA illegal product"

It seems to me if the paralellers have original codes, they can use them on more than one box. John

I have also read that some retailers are removing the code from the warranty seals before shipping them on, so it may be a mute point for some.

FYI, online verification of the new barcode is available at http://www.habanos.com/sellos?lang=en
(Cuban site, but it is located in Toronto, Canada, so hopefully Americans should be able to see the website.)

Has anyone tried this? If so, what does it say, please?

Tried the link this a.m., input my numbers and this is what came up -

Legal code. The product is original from Habanos S.A.

HSA: 10.7002.26.0190

Descripcion: ROMEO Y JULIETA BELVEDERES CB-UW-C/L-12,13-n-25

Side note, this box was from Feb 08 and had the old warranty seal with the new seal placed over it. Thanks again for the link.

Can the cigars have its origins traced by known codes or is that an Altadis internal mechanism? Seems that if that info is only for them to use there is no benefit to the final consumer. John
It looks like that info will be internal. There's some reassurance benefit to the final consumer; but only in the sense of knowing that a code is good.

I have also read that some retailers are removing the code from the warranty seals before shipping them on, so it may be a mute point for some.
It is a moot point - a grey market importer/exporter is going to remove the barcode if they want to stay in business.

Tried the link this a.m., input my numbers and this is what came up -

Legal code. The product is original from Habanos S.A.

HSA: 10.7002.26.0190

Descripcion: ROMEO Y JULIETA BELVEDERES CB-UW-C/L-12,13-n-25

Side note, this box was from Feb 08 and had the old warranty seal with the new seal placed over it. Thanks again for the link.
Thanks! Looks like they're not saying much.

---

<conspiracy theory hat on>
I suspect that Habanos wouldn't be spending the money doing this unless they thought the embargo was ending soon. Unlike most countries traditionally associated with Cuban cigar consumption, grey market imports are (currently) illegal in the USA.
<conspiracy hat off>

What would be the reply from the vendor as to why the code is removed? John

Seems to be a pretty sophisticated system coming from a place known to screw up simple stuff like forgetting to put bands on cigars before shipment.

I wonder what will happen "when this is Cuba" has to deal with modern technology?